Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The OFFICIAL what I do like about Oz thread

The OFFICIAL what I do like about Oz thread

Old Oct 20th 2006, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The OFFICIAL what I do like about Oz thread

Big house

Big land

Big cars (well compared to UK)
Old Oct 20th 2006, 8:46 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

most of the people

the weather

the beach

the fact I can go to the beach almost any time I like

laid back lifestyle and attitude (that does take a getting used to, very frustrating at first)
Old Oct 20th 2006, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

1 err

2 hmmm

3 must be something

4 shit!

5 I give up!
Old Oct 20th 2006, 9:36 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Utes
Barefeet
Having a national sports team (that wins)
Attitude (calling someone a loser really helps motivate a nation)
So far away from the UK
ACDC can be played and others enjoy
Fish is served other than in batter with soggy chips
The people
The summer is not missed because you were on holiday
Even in Eden Eve found reason to complain and wasnt their a snake involved?
Old Oct 21st 2006, 12:50 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Only been here a week but here goes............................

Not being asked 'what salary are you on' or do you own your house/a big car etc............people just don't care about material things.
No police car/ambulance sirens every 5 minutes.
The kookaburra on our (staying with rellies at the mo) fence.
No long faces.
People actually speak to you, they say good morning and mean it

Loz x
Old Oct 21st 2006, 1:37 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by loz
Only been here a week but here goes............................

Not being asked 'what salary are you on' or do you own your house/a big car etc............people just don't care about material things.
No police car/ambulance sirens every 5 minutes.
The kookaburra on our (staying with rellies at the mo) fence.
No long faces.
People actually speak to you, they say good morning and mean it

Loz x
High Fuel/Petrol crisis and prices in Australia.Even countries like India/Pakistan/Morocco didn't reported any fuel crisis or price change.Australian pace of life is too slow or sluggish as compared to US/UK.Australia is a place for old and retired people who had already lived a long fast paced life in UK/Europe or USA and just want to enjoy sunshine,quietness and sky now.

Last edited by smurtaza; Oct 21st 2006 at 1:44 am. Reason: none
Old Oct 21st 2006, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

kaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to behold

The weather
Pleasant people

Sorry can't think of anything else
Old Oct 21st 2006, 2:28 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

The People
Sporting events (and they are affordable)
Weather
Coffee
The atmosphere
Almost classless society
Old Oct 21st 2006, 3:44 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I love the smell of the bush in the mornings just after it's rained.

I love the eucalyptus smell on the wind, and walking through the bush and smelling the most incredible smells, such as tea tree and hunting for it but not being able to locate it...

I love the bird calls in the morning

I love the good coffee and the lack of Starbucks

Up here in the mts, I love that the last McDonalds is in Blaxland and therefore the choice of delicious cafe's which serve fabulous food and the subsequent lack of McDonalds rubbish

I love the mix of people here

I love working my way through the bottle shop bottle by bottle, finding all the tiny obscure vineyards which produce fabulous wine we never even get to sniff at in the UK

I love the wildlife here, yellow tailed cockatoos, red tailed, wedge tailed eagles over the lookout, kangaroos, bloody big lizards, fabulous snakes, the odd spider here and there... the little skinks that run into the bush as you walk by...

Love the flowers here, huge and vibrant, even the simplest daisys are pretty

I love the older colonial architecture...

I love talking to people and finding out their stories, where they came from, how they got here, what they've done with their lives... There are always fascinating stories to be found in Australia.

I love that I can be busy every night doing something if I wanted... though I'm trying to pace myself

I like the access to live music here

I'm sure there's more.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom

. There are always fascinating stories to be found in Australia.
Yup! Get to know the locals. They can be fascinating.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 10:04 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by thebears
Having a national sports team (that wins)
What exactly?
Old Oct 21st 2006, 10:08 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Feeling alive, blue skies almost every day, appreciating the rain when it does come as you've not seen it for weeks/months....

Getting out of the air con car and feeling the warmth on your skin, even when it rains the rain isn't cold and harsh...

Seeing the lorakeets with their vibrant colours which look like they've been painted, seeing them lark about and screech excitedly like excitable clowns...

Not having to dress up / put makeup on if you go to the shops....

People treating you with respect regardless of who you are / where you live /what job you do.....

Smiling, friendly people who great you with a genuine smile & a chat...

Neighbours who pop round for a beer or invite you round to theirs on the spur of the moment, the lack of formality....

Friendly banter re Poms Vs Aussies in sport....and the genuine deep routed affection between two cultures...

Going to different cities and all feeling very, very different...

Taking off in the car and driving to different places, always something new....

Seeing whales jump out of the water....seeing fish swim over your feet....wonderful flora & fauna that smells, looks like nothing you've ever seen......

Thinking "we really live here" .....and realising how lucky you are....
Old Oct 21st 2006, 11:25 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
What exactly?
just being cheeky

Hope its not the league tonight. Oh how I wish Willie was playing tonight

Kiwi
Old Oct 21st 2006, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Having my beer served in chilled glasses

Being able to buy a JUG of rum and coke in a pub!

HUGE bottleshops with walk in freezers just FULL of beer! How much better is it than buying a carton from Tesco and then having to chuck it in the freezer to try and chill it quickly.

Hmm...non-alcohol related.... Agree on the pizza voucher things - I was like HOW much for a pizza - $4????!!! NO WAY!! They cost more than that frozen in the supermarket - who actually buys those ones!?

BOOST smoothies. OMG, HOW did I survive without them?

Everything being new and exciting, its like being a kid again, discovering things for the first time.

Helpful friendly shop staff everywhere

Cheap petrol

Being able to live really close to the city but still live in a nice suburb and be able to afford it

Living in a country where they protect their home produced goods and proudly shout that its Australian made.

Lack of graffitti and rubbish

Bakeries being open on a Sunday
Old Oct 21st 2006, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Watching my children with their Aussie experiences - their freedom as they run along the pristine beach - the wonder in their eyes as they touch a lizard in the rainforest - the delight in their giggles when they play in the warm rain, their happiness when they come home from another safe and satisfying day at school, their excitement when they call pops and grandma in the UK and tell them of their latest adventure...the best thing about Australia is my childrens happiness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.