Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the official jobs/wages thread...

the official jobs/wages thread...

Old Aug 5th 2006, 11:25 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Originally Posted by thebears
You pay the $10K tax advise i did then
Why? Would you benefit if they did?

So is it simply that you think others should pay for the information as you did, or you are unwilling to share if you cannot personally benefit (at this moment in time since we all know 'what comes around goes around' and you may be reciprocated one day with help which you ask for/need/would like).

I apologise if this sounds aggressive, as this isn't my intention at all, I just would love to understand your reasoning for not helping when directly asked. As well as being interested in the tax advice which cost $10k, not that I anticipate ever using it to personal benefit for your info, just love all things financial (sad I know!)

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Aug 5th 2006 at 11:39 am.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 1:42 pm

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi]Why?

That would be a completely pointless waste of time and money when you could share. Sharing and helping others is free afterall.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 1:47 pm

Why can't I delete my own messages?

Sorry, I realise my reply does not come across in the way it was originally intended.

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Aug 5th 2006 at 2:22 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 2:41 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Why? Would you benefit if they did?

So is it simply that you think others should pay for the information as you did, or you are unwilling to share if you cannot personally benefit (at this moment in time since we all know 'what comes around goes around' and you may be reciprocated one day with help which you ask for/need/would like).

I apologise if this sounds aggressive, as this isn't my intention at all, I just would love to understand your reasoning for not helping when directly asked. As well as being interested in the tax advice which cost $10k, not that I anticipate ever using it to personal benefit for your info, just love all things financial (sad I know!)
If the advise had not cost me so much perhaps i would of but complicated estate planning and devulging of too much info on my personal family trusts goes beyound the realms of this forum. Would like to see others fork out $10K for advise and then offload it for free.

My comments were directed initially to prevent people putting all their eggs in once basket ie Property which seems to me like fools gold for the amount if idiots who after making money from a rising market think they are suddenly property experts. The truth is most people have made money on the property markets just by being in the market. Those that have made exeptional returns ie 10 and above times will also be making these returns on the downward leg.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

jubblyjimbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I work at a fairly senior level in management accounting, supervising a small team of staff. My salary is approx £60k (gross).

Can anybody advise what level of salary I would need in Australia to enjoy a comparable standard of living (financially).

If the exchange rate is $2:£1 does this mean I need a job paying $120k plus? And are there accountancy jobs paying this amount? Would prefer Sydney, Melbourne or Perth, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Jimbo
Old Aug 6th 2006, 4:49 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jubblyjimbo
Hi,

I work at a fairly senior level in management accounting, supervising a small team of staff. My salary is approx £60k (gross).

Can anybody advise what level of salary I would need in Australia to enjoy a comparable standard of living (financially).

If the exchange rate is $2:£1 does this mean I need a job paying $120k plus? And are there accountancy jobs paying this amount? Would prefer Sydney, Melbourne or Perth, if that makes a difference.

Jimbo
Depends on your experience and skill set. Can range from $60K to $300K

Mgnt Accountants on around £60K are not really deemed senior over here, especially if that was in a long term employment position where annual increases have brought it up to that level.

Last edited by thebears; Aug 6th 2006 at 4:52 am. Reason: just saw above
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
According to the Robert Walters 2006 salary survey for Brisbane, I should be able to expect between 65k -90k as a Senior Software Developer....Here's hoping...
And bang on too....Start at 75-80k.

Thebears is right, often high salaries are due to annual increments and some sort of assessment of 'usefulness in-job' (or 'what's the trouble if I left') A semi-professional person may not command a high equivalent salary once they move jobs or countries.

Someone mentioned this to me a while back and I think it explains the lower incomes some people might command. Being an expert in *using*system x (7 years) translates to not much else when the system is y. Job portability is pretty handy, why software developers can do quite well.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Aug 6th 2006 at 2:20 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 6:14 am
Just Joined

jubblyjimbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends on your experience and skill set. Can range from $60K to $300K

Mgnt Accountants on around £60K are not really deemed senior over here, especially if that was in a long term employment position where annual increases have brought it up to that level.
Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I've been in my current job for less than a year, so don't believe my current salary of £60k due to a long term position with annual increments.

I believe I work at a fairly senior level, directly supporting Board members including MD, Chief Exec etc on a day to day basis. Previous positions have been financial controller etc.

I'm just a bit shell shocked that senior positions can be paid so little in Australia. Maybe i'm just used to London salaries.

If we're indicating that I'd have to do similar jobs in Australia, with all the stress that goes with it, for $60k (approx £30k) thats a 50% salary cut, and something I'd not being willing to countenance, despite having permanent resident visas and a real desire to move to Australia.

Thanks again

Jim
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:20 am
IS VICK THERE

foopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud of

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I've been in my current job for less than a year, so don't believe my current salary of £60k due to a long term position with annual increments.

I believe I work at a fairly senior level, directly supporting Board members including MD, Chief Exec etc on a day to day basis. Previous positions have been financial controller etc.

I'm just a bit shell shocked that senior positions can be paid so little in Australia. Maybe i'm just used to London salaries.

If we're indicating that I'd have to do similar jobs in Australia, with all the stress that goes with it, for $60k (approx £30k) thats a 50% salary cut, and something I'd not being willing to countenance, despite having permanent resident visas and a real desire to move to Australia.

Thanks again

Jim
Hi there Jubbly

I am also an accountant but from practice. Do you or does anybody else know of practice opportunities in Brisbane (employed, sub contract or purchase of fees).

Any input greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:36 am
Melbourne Australia

Hi,

Jim
Hi Jim

Don't want you to get too disillusioned.

I have 2 guys working for me who have worked in London for over 10 years one of which was on £75K and is currently on $50 + Super hourly contract. The other is $55 + Super not sure what he was on as he keeps that to himself. Both do a 35 hours week.

The issue is really on what skillset and offerings you will bring to the market and realising that you need to gain "local" creditability. Just do not assume £60K FC roles translate into a senior role over here. The market is full of wantabes in the $80K to $150K range. To earn over the $135K you need to be delivering blood, sweat and tears. Most graduates in London were commanding £48K to £55K (2003) so I think perhaps you were being underpaid. Most of my former colleagues still in London were taking a base of £90+ bonus (usually 30%).

My advice would be to contact the agents through Seek.com and follow up with a telephone call to get a realistic feel for your marketability ie your background, qualifications, IT exposure.

Dont expect much job hunting help before you come out but start at least with knowing your marketabilty and what skills are in demand.

Currently alot of work for SOX if you have that?

Kiwi
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:54 am
IS VICK THERE

foopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud of

Hi Jim

Don't want you to get too disillusioned.

I have 2 guys working for me who have worked in London for over 10 years one of which was on £75K and is currently on $50 + Super hourly contract. The other is $55 + Super not sure what he was on as he keeps that to himself. Both do a 35 hours week.

The issue is really on what skillset and offerings you will bring to the market and realising that you need to gain "local" creditability. Just do not assume £60K FC roles translate into a senior role over here. The market is full of wantabes in the $80K to $150K range. To earn over the $135K you need to be delivering blood, sweat and tears. Most graduates in London were commanding £48K to £55K (2003) so I think perhaps you were being underpaid. Most of my former colleagues still in London were taking a base of £90+ bonus (usually 30%).

My advice would be to contact the agents through Seek.com and follow up with a telephone call to get a realistic feel for your marketability ie your background, qualifications, IT exposure.

Dont expect much job hunting help before you come out but start at least with knowing your marketabilty and what skills are in demand.

Currently alot of work for SOX if you have that?

Kiwi
Hi Kiwi

Sorry for my ignorance can you confirm what 'SOX' and 'wantabes' mean.

Thanks for the post.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:57 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Originally Posted by foopsy
Hi Kiwi

Thanks for the post.
SOX is Sarbanes-Oxley legislation from the US mate - every company that has anything to do with the US directly or indirectly is becoming governed by this post-Enron legislation.

Buzzy
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:59 am
Melbourne Australia

Hi Kiwi

Thanks for the post.
SOX Sarbanes Oxley
wantabes - people wanting to work for bigger money for less effort - pointing directly at those on the way out of the market ie nearing retirement (by age or market forces). Seems to be alot on the market in and without jobs who are looking for more money but not really offering anything. We just took 6 weeks to find a reasonable finance manager and boy is there alot of crap out there.

We do drill down below job title.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Jimbo
Please don't take this the wrong way...but I would have thought as a management accountant you would know that exchange rate has nothing to do with what you need to earn when you move to Oz.

Remember your variance analysis, cost lessons?

TC
Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kiwi

Thanks for the post.

SOX: a good enough reason not to work for an American PLC.

..but then again...it does creat good working habits.

TC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.