Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the official jobs/wages thread...

the official jobs/wages thread...

Old Apr 29th 2008, 4:25 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It has been for me and all my colleagues and most other people I know in the industry. We are desparate for people with the right skills. I will pay senior electrical designers with 5 years good (even non-mining)experience, $85/hr plus 15% retention bonus (about $200k pa) but I can't find anyone. For engineers it's $95-120/hr - also very hard to find people. This is Perth based and not FIFO and not even required to visit site - ever.

This is the reality of engineering in Perth in 2008. I'm in charge of a 16 man design team and know what I'm talking about.
Great news Amazulu. Fantastic that you are standing up to the mark

Does this experience have to be in Aus or can it be gained working anywhere worldwide?

What are the requirements? Perhaps you could dot point them here so people can send you their CV's?

If you're desperate to fill the jobs, here's your chance. I might even apply myself

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Apr 29th 2008 at 4:34 am.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 5:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Great news Amazulu. Fantastic that you are standing up to the mark

Does this experience have to be in Aus or can it be gained working anywhere worldwide?

What are the requirements? Perhaps you could dot point them here so people can send you their CV's?

If you're desperate to fill the jobs, here's your chance. I might even apply myself
We will accept electrical design experience in non-mining areas as long as it is in things like HV, substation design, controls, MCCs, PLCs etc. A senior designer needs at least 5 years experience, for a senior engineer more experience is needed. Even though we are desperate, we cannot just take anyone. Industry in Australia has been extremely shortsighted in regards to training and development. In Perth, all the mining companies are chasing the same people and very few new people are entering the market. The TAFE in Fremantle was thinking of closing it's electrical design course due to lack of students! This is at the same time as the media is full of stories about the mining boom and the high salaries on offer.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice

I am concerned now, with this problem of contract wages and poms working in Australia. I have been in engineering almost thirty years, the last fifteen years as a contract mechanical detailer/designer/3D modeller and have worked for many big names in lots of industries, but not in mining.

The other problem I could have is, although I’m born and bread in the UK, I have a Polish name.

We are moving to Perth this year and I’m relying to be on these top rates, in order to be able to afford the extortionate house prices over there. Am I going to struggle to get on these high contract rates in the city, which is where I plan to work?

Hi T hope you had a good holiday.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:48 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We will accept electrical design experience in non-mining areas as long as it is in things like HV, substation design, controls, MCCs, PLCs etc. A senior designer needs at least 5 years experience, for a senior engineer more experience is needed. Even though we are desperate, we cannot just take anyone. Industry in Australia has been extremely shortsighted in regards to training and development. In Perth, all the mining companies are chasing the same people and very few new people are entering the market. The TAFE in Fremantle was thinking of closing it's electrical design course due to lack of students! This is at the same time as the media is full of stories about the mining boom and the high salaries on offer.
Thanks for that Amazulu.

It looks like this equates to less than 0.01% of immigrants who have the potential to work in the area of mining you mentioned and earn the amount suggested.

I agree that talking about mining and high salaries on offer are a smokescreen. There are those jobs and those salaries, but they are very, very, very far and few between and due to experience required there is more chance of an expat becoming the next Priminister than there is of matching an Expats skills within the mining trade and earning those sorts of high salaries.

So ......we're back to where we started. Exactly as I mentioned in my previous posts
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

sharonm5 will become famous soon enoughsharonm5 will become famous soon enough

from chatting to my new employers, they mentioned that being British in Oz is sometimes a drawback in regards to winning new business. Comments such as 'why do we need a 'insert swearword' pommie to sort things out' seem common from day to day-and this will be said straight to your face, whilst you out for lunch, that you paying for!

On the flip side of that though, the clients that they have managed to win business with are very happy with the british style of business and this is now securing more business in this area.

I have spoken to friends over there (who are australian) and they have said this attitude is common and you will come across it... I prefer to walk in knowing that I may encounter this, rather than be blissfully unaware!
I think I need to go frequent Shep Bush and walkabout pubs to familiarise myself
Old May 1st 2008, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by sharonm5
from chatting to my new employers, they mentioned that being British in Oz is sometimes a drawback in regards to winning new business. Comments such as 'why do we need a 'insert swearword' pommie to sort things out' seem common from day to day-and this will be said straight to your face, whilst you out for lunch, that you paying for!
I have only ever heard one racist comment against poms whilst out here, the racism is nearly always directed towards Asians I recently had another Aussie join my business and they said ...quote "if I sense a client does not like Poms, let me take over the conversation to win the deal"

Now before any Poms jump up and down, racism happens in ever country. If you accept this, don't condone it, but are realistic and work around it - then that's the way fwd.

Originally Posted by sharonm5
On the flip side of that though, the clients that they have managed to win business with are very happy with the british style of business and this is now securing more business in this area.
Exactly. If you're a grafter and you know your stuff, you don't rip people off and you build a good reputation based on excellent work and professionalism, then you start to make a reputation for yourself.

Every culture has good and bad. Australia is no different. The key is to understand how it works and be hard working, honest, demonstrate good values and be professional. Also know you aren't going to build your career overnight by earning mega bucks from day one. The key is to be realistic.

Last edited by sonlymewalter; May 1st 2008 at 1:05 pm.
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

Unless you are talking about 2 people of different 'colours' how can it be a racist comment? prejudiced perhaps?

I have only ever heard one racist comment against poms whilst out here
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
Unless you are talking about 2 people of different 'colours' how can it be a racist comment? prejudiced perhaps?
"Racist" doesn't have to involve a difference of "colours", it is a prejudice against another race.

Last edited by Pollyana; May 2nd 2008 at 9:50 am.
Old May 2nd 2008, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

and race is defined by...?
is a pom a different race to an aussie? Don't most aussies have anglosaxon heritage?
is a broomstick enough of a prejudice to qualify as a different race?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
"Racist" doesn't have to involve a difference of "colours", it is a prejudice against another race.
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

oopa will become famous soon enough

what an excellent idea! my family and i are going through the motions of migration we have not decided really on what part of australia we want to move to but with me being a bricklayer this site has really helped us out, well done! keep up the good work see you ALL soon lol
Old May 2nd 2008, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Been through this in depth on my other board. What it comes down to, in Legal terms You can be racist about Europeans and predjudiced towards Poms. The English and other UK residents are not a race they are Europeans, with almost identical DNA to the French (in the case of the majority of English people) of all people, more so than the Germans or Dutch.

Thats basically the legal basis in plain English, however I doubt if most on here will accept that explanation.

What it comes down to, is there has to be a racial slur, accompanied with the pommy term for any insult to have a racist base. IE: Pommy Bastard, could be deemed predjudiced in certain circumstances, whereas "White Pommy Bastard" is definitely racist.

Whoops just seen the thread title... lol

I dont think being stricly a pom gets you more money though. Hopefully thats enough to make this post relevant to this thread....pheww.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 2nd 2008 at 11:42 pm.
Old May 2nd 2008, 11:48 pm

Racism is Power+Prejudice

It's not just black Vs white or race

It's about context, perception, intent, power, subjugation, prejudice and a myriad of other things.
Old May 3rd 2008, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

well, thats a pretty mushy definition ..I think I prefer ozzieeagle's definition.

Racism is Power+Prejudice

It's not just black Vs white or race

It's about context, perception, intent, power, subjugation, prejudice and a myriad of other things.
Old May 3rd 2008, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
well, thats a pretty mushy definition ..I think I prefer ozzieeagle's definition.
As with all people, we understand some more than others. It's no big deal

My example shows it doesn't have to be someone saying something against a race. It can be someone in a position of power who intends to subjugate another.

If you define racism as not being something between people of the same race then an Aussie calling a Pom names is not racism.

My definition shows that indeed it can be. Hence power + subjugation is racism.
Old May 3rd 2008, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

what you smoking mate?

My example shows it doesn't have to be someone saying something against a race. It can be someone in a position of power who intends to subjugate another.

My definition shows that indeed it can be. Hence power + subjugation is racism.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.