Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the official jobs/wages thread...

the official jobs/wages thread...

Old Sep 25th 2007, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

emilywagstaff is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

hi there does anyone know what a head chef can earn in brisbane area a rough estmate will do thanks alot em xxxx
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:44 am
Just Joined

loppy is a jewel in the roughloppy is a jewel in the roughloppy is a jewel in the roughloppy is a jewel in the roughloppy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Originally Posted by sassenach
Thanks tygwyn,i do know also what it is like here in the west when booms go bang ,everything just dies off totally .When we arrived in 91 in the middle of the recession we had to have ,i was greated at immigration with the remark ''dont know why you have come here ,theres no work '' and how right she was .
The first job i managed to get after about six months of trying and i was earning exactly half what i had left behind in the uk .
But australia is not any different to the uk in the respect of ''its who you know ''and that takes years to build up and you hope when the hard times come again the people you know will carry you through
So i make hay while the sun shines and hopefully sit on my arse when the work dies off .
SASSENACH,
As you seem to hold a lot of information on some trades, I thought i would pick your brains on my husbands area of work!!
He is a Project Manager for a large construcion company in England, the money that is being suggested by the agencys seem slightly unreal ???
My husband and i have been looking to move to move with our 5 and 10yr olds for around a year. We now feel ready to make the jump.
Does anyone on here have any idea on what is the average for this line of work and perhaps what would be a good area to look in?
Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

loppy is a jewel in the roughloppy is a jewel in the roughloppy is a jewel in the roughloppy is a jewel in the roughloppy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by chippie74
hi everyone
just a quicky ,Im looking for work for my partner health and safety consultant but not seen anything at the moment. just wondering if anyone dose or know anyone who dose health and safety and if the job is common in australia.thanks.....lee
Did you happen to see the link somone else put on here?

http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/

I am interested in finding out how much Site Managers / Project Managers earn, so found this a little helpful.
Would be nice to hear from somone who is actually in the job rather than seeing what the agency puts on the site!?!
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 8:06 am
Just Joined

hannah7819 will become famous soon enoughhannah7819 will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone - i have been on here before asking your advice on jobs in oz (melbourne specifically) as my partner is stressing loads!!! The update is that he has emailed a load of honda dealers about jobs and he has been tole that with his qualifications and experience he could be on 800+ per week. Is this a good wage and would a family of three be able to live on that - also the job is in abbotsford - is this a good area and is it expensive to live there?? soz for all the questions guys!!!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hannah7819
Hi everyone - i have been on here before asking your advice on jobs in oz (melbourne specifically) as my partner is stressing loads!!! The update is that he has emailed a load of honda dealers about jobs and he has been tole that with his qualifications and experience he could be on 800+ per week. Is this a good wage and would a family of three be able to live on that - also the job is in abbotsford - is this a good area and is it expensive to live there?? soz for all the questions guys!!!!!

Is that before or after tax?
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:49 am
Just Joined

hannah7819 will become famous soon enoughhannah7819 will become famous soon enough

Hmmmm good question - just checked e-mail and it doesn't say!!! oh and just reread my last post and i meant to say three children - family of five!! doh!!
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:51 am
Just Joined

i would be looking at working at some point but my main role when we get over there will be to make sure the kids settle as easily and as quickly as poss - my job is childcare - will be looking at nursery or childminding. most important thing is that we make sure that as the main breadwinner, my partner sorts himself a job
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

i would be looking at working at some point but my main role when we get over there will be to make sure the kids settle as easily and as quickly as poss - my job is childcare - will be looking at nursery or childminding. most important thing is that we make sure that as the main breadwinner, my partner sorts himself a job

$800+ per week isn't too bad if it's after tax, but if it's before then you may struggle a little on that. Your take home pay would be approx $580 - $600 per week, which isn't a lot.

My Oh brings home around $800 (after tax, with no overtime) and we just about manage on that - there are two adults and two kids. I think we would really struggle on less though.

If you have PR then you would be able to claim family tax benefit and rent assistance though, which would bump it up while you are waiting to go to work. Only thing with that is, you could end up owing them if you earn too much over the year between you.

Here's the tax bands for this year: http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...u=5053&mfp=001

and here's the centrelink page for family assistance: http://myaccount.centrelink.gov.au/wps/portal/payments

Should give you some idea of how much you'll be bringing home
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks Wendy - thats a great help God, initially I was really pleased thinking it was really good but keep having to remind myself that we aren't talking sterling - haha!! Nevermind - we will keep on trying - determined to get out there - fingers crossed
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Wendy - thats a great help God, initially I was really pleased thinking it was really good but keep having to remind myself that we aren't talking sterling - haha!! Nevermind - we will keep on trying - determined to get out there - fingers crossed

It might be an idea to start a new thread asking specifically what others in the same type of job make per week. It will give you a better idea.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Hi Hannah, Just read your thread and you said you was going to work in childcare in Oz. I want to do the same but I will only have a NVQ2 but can work with children from birth to 16 (day nursery, child minder and teachers assistant) do you know if this qualification will allow me to work in Oz? i cant find any where on the net that tells me wether I can or not it so confusing.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

I am in the same position - i only have an nvq2 and i am in the process of registering as a childminder. I am at the mo unsure of the requirements to work with children in oz so unfortunately can be of absolutely no help at the mo. I'm sure i had read somewhere that you don't need childcare quals to work in a pre school - but surely that can't be true??? I know you have to be qual to work as childminder. Any info i can gather i will post on here.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Oh thanks, and if I get any info I'll do the same.

tina
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

cool - just sorry i can't be of any more help - still in the very early stages of making the move so as yet pretty much totally uninformed. everyone on here is soo positive and helpful so hopefully someone will know something
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cool - just sorry i can't be of any more help - still in the very early stages of making the move so as yet pretty much totally uninformed. everyone on here is soo positive and helpful so hopefully someone will know something

See this link. http://jobguide.thegoodguides.com.au....cfm?jobid=908

You can look up any job description and at the bottom of the page it will give you a link to the specific state or territory you are going to with details of the requirements for that state. It gives you links to professional bodies you can contact who will be able to answer your questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.