Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the official jobs/wages thread...

the official jobs/wages thread...

Old Aug 28th 2007, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Paul Tania is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Originally Posted by The A Team
Hairdressers in Townsville are paid around $20 an hour.

Admin Officers/Receptionists up to about $20 an hour, more for temping.
Hi, This is really useful info. I have just started researching and have no idea about wages. I am an electrian by trade. Any idea's of the going rate per week?

Pompey Paul.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul Tania
Hi, This is really useful info. I have just started researching and have no idea about wages. I am an electrian by trade. Any idea's of the going rate per week?

Pompey Paul.

Electricians can earn anything between $25 and $35 per hour when they are fully licenced - more if you work for yourself, but then you need a contractors licence and liability insurance.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wendy
Electricians can earn anything between $25 and $35 per hour when they are fully licenced - more if you work for yourself, but then you need a contractors licence and liability insurance.
Just applied for a post that has sponsorship in adelaide but in the application it asked me what salary I was to roughly expect with a drop down list so I compared it with a similar post over here in the UK and now I'm wondering if I have made the right choice. It is within the ShipBulding industry but I do not know if salaries are generally more or less than the UK. Can anyone shed any light on the subject?

Paul
Old Aug 29th 2007, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Just applied for a post that has sponsorship in adelaide but in the application it asked me what salary I was to roughly expect with a drop down list so I compared it with a similar post over here in the UK and now I'm wondering if I have made the right choice. It is within the ShipBulding industry but I do not know if salaries are generally more or less than the UK. Can anyone shed any light on the subject?

Paul

It dpends really on where you came from, what company you worked for etc etc.

We found that my OH was on just a little bit less (comparitively speaking with the exchange rate), but are now pushing for a pay rise as we think he's being underpaid a bit. But then we thought that in the UK too

It's a bit hard to advise you what to ask for, cos I guess it depends on what your job will entail, how in demand your skill is and how much they are willing to offer you. Might be best if you put 'negotiable' instead of a rate.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wendy
It dpends really on where you came from, what company you worked for etc etc.

We found that my OH was on just a little bit less (comparitively speaking with the exchange rate), but are now pushing for a pay rise as we think he's being underpaid a bit. But then we thought that in the UK too

It's a bit hard to advise you what to ask for, cos I guess it depends on what your job will entail, how in demand your skill is and how much they are willing to offer you. Might be best if you put 'negotiable' instead of a rate.
Yeh I thought of that but I could not continue unless I chose one so I worked out roughly what I wanted top end and stuck that in. Never know I might be selling myself on the cheap!!!! I'm sure my application has been filed in the round paper basket by now!!!!

Paul.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeh I thought of that but I could not continue unless I chose one so I worked out roughly what I wanted top end and stuck that in. Never know I might be selling myself on the cheap!!!! I'm sure my application has been filed in the round paper basket by now!!!!

Paul.

Good luck
Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

juss44 has a spectacular aura aboutjuss44 has a spectacular aura aboutjuss44 has a spectacular aura about

Anyone have ideas regards
Partner General Plumber, also qualified water main pipe layer/Drainer/Excavator opperator.

Me Finace Administrator

Any ideas about hourly rates....Brisbane

Cheers Juss
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Scoobydo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
Does anyone have any idea of wages for a health adminstrator (Practice Manger U.K.) in local doctors practice.

I have looked throught nearly! all the post's.
This website has been most informative, Thanks to all whom has given us the info we much needed.
If not anything similar to this, just as a gudeline really.

Many Thanks!
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Errol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jubblyjimbo
Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I've been in my current job for less than a year, so don't believe my current salary of £60k due to a long term position with annual increments.

I believe I work at a fairly senior level, directly supporting Board members including MD, Chief Exec etc on a day to day basis. Previous positions have been financial controller etc.

I'm just a bit shell shocked that senior positions can be paid so little in Australia. Maybe i'm just used to London salaries.

If we're indicating that I'd have to do similar jobs in Australia, with all the stress that goes with it, for $60k (approx £30k) thats a 50% salary cut, and something I'd not being willing to countenance, despite having permanent resident visas and a real desire to move to Australia.

Thanks again

Jim
What an eye opener! I am in management accounting too! I emmigrated to Australia in 1974 (stayed ten months) I realize that's 33 years ago, but one of the main reasons I left so soon after arriving is I wasn't prepared as a professional to work for such low salaries when I didn't have to. A working associate of mine when I announced my departure said "You will be back in one year" He had spent time in Australia and New Zealand.

I am one of the lucky ones that truly enjoy working and my profession, and have never been a clock watcher, so I got short changed even more! I am now in New York and I have noticed many times the UK and the US are very similar in salary structures.

As many of the posters state, it's a completely different lifestyle than the UK.

Errol
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Errol
What an eye opener! I am in management accounting too! I emmigrated to Australia in 1974 (stayed ten months) I realize that's 33 years ago, but one of the main reasons I left so soon after arriving is I wasn't prepared as a professional to work for such low salaries when I didn't have to. A working associate of mine when I announced my departure said "You will be back in one year" He had spent time in Australia and New Zealand.

I am one of the lucky ones that truly enjoy working and my profession, and have never been a clock watcher, so I got short changed even more! I am now in New York and I have noticed many times the UK and the US are very similar in salary structures.

As many of the posters state, it's a completely different lifestyle than the UK.

Errol
Maybe it's like this in your firld but in engineering, in Perth right now salaries are amongst the highest in the Western World - definitely higher generally than in the US.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:07 am
Just Joined

jodeandsteve is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Hi, Help- were thinking of going to Oz but i cant find wages for the care sector. Im a disability employment co-ordinator and reasonably paid here- and i love my work!! My OH is an area manager for a concrete plant ( maybe able to get a transfer!) Any ideas on the wages in this area. We are thinking of Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

All help will be appreciated!
Jodie, Bonnie Scotland
Old Sep 6th 2007, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

juss44 has a spectacular aura aboutjuss44 has a spectacular aura aboutjuss44 has a spectacular aura about

What about trying the Salary link at the bottom of this Thread? Or the carrerone website may help????????
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

jodeandsteve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by juss44
What about trying the Salary link at the bottom of this Thread? Or the carrerone website may help????????
Thanks for that, ive went onto Careerone and there are a few care jobs-and links to other care websites, so its giving me a good idea of the wages and likelihood of work. Im away to check them out, cheers Jodie
Old Sep 7th 2007, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

ssafiri is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife is a Maths teacher and she ahs BS in Applied Maths . Is there any related job (Not teaching which I know should spend time for assessment and get a new university degree to become a teacher in OZ) to her field and experience?

Thanks mates lots.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

What do cleaners get payed in Qld? looking at the fraser coast?
Looking to set up a cleaning company!!! anyone need good cleaners??
BE'ers get 50% off first clean!!!! LOL just joking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.