Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the official jobs/wages thread...

the official jobs/wages thread...

Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Originally Posted by thebears
Thats funny I thought they worked on commission?
Yep. Revenue collection makes up a big part of Australian police work.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

scampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant future

CNC turner. miller, in england classed as first class metal machinist in australia, how much do they earn around Brisbane and is there plenty of work? also does he need the other certificates as well as the TRA which he has got?
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

carolk is on a distinguished road

OMG have just searched through 23 pages and still couldn't find what I'm looking for (reminds me of a song.....)!

Hubby is a plumber and we're heading to Melbourne. Any ideas of what pay will be like? And if he went self-employed? Does anyone know if there is much work around? It's on the in-demands list, but most of the jobs advertised seem to be for apprentices, and I think their pay is woeful!!
Any ideas????

BTW you're all crazy!! lol :scared:
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

drivetrain is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't come to Oz for the money! I am a mechanic and started on $45k which rose to $50k after 3 months probabation. You cannot live in Sydney on one salary unless you have brought a huge stash from the UK. Tradesmen are poorly paid here compared to the UK but if you are a senior professional wages give you a nice lifestyle. Get out of Sydney if you want to start a business, you're 5 years too late now. Huge growth is still occurring in Perth and Darwin. More scope in all other states than NSW due to poor economic growth.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Amnda&Danny has a brilliant futureAmnda&Danny has a brilliant futureAmnda&Danny has a brilliant futureAmnda&Danny has a brilliant futureAmnda&Danny has a brilliant futureAmnda&Danny has a brilliant futureAmnda&Danny has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dh1905
Hi everyone,
Thought it would be a good idea for the people not yet here in Oz who are researching,to get an idea of the wages paid here and for what job (and for the people here in Oz who just want to be nosey ) .As this is info I found hard to get hold of in the UK.
Although, if you would rather not disclose all your personal details, just popdown what you are happy with people knowing, I'm sure it would be a help.

Me- not working
Hubby- Carpenter on $30 an hr

We are on the Gold Coast.

Donna xxx

Hi Donna

Great idea! Cau you give me an idea of panel beater wages, we're hoping to go to Perth.
Thanks
Amanda
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Would anyone have any idea what a FLOOR FINISHER (carpet fitter) might earn. Especially interesed in Canberra or Brisbane/Gold Coast area.

Thanks
Old Jan 13th 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jjonboy
I'm a Building Surveyor and earn around 100k + car allowances and benefits.

Mandy is a I.T. procurement manager and earns circa $70k

These are sydney wages and are both due for review
Hi,

I realise you posted some time ago but wondered if you could advise me on a rough idea of wages for a Chartered General Practice Surveyor. I hope to move to Melbourne and realise that that will be different to Sydney but a rough idea would be welcomed. Just received a CO and had meds and police checks so nearing the end of the visa process and now starting to look at when we will move over. I have a great job at the moment working in Germany for the MOD in Asset management of the Germany estate, get great pay and free 5 bed house so this financial security will be hard to leave but we have two children and they need to be settled and Oz is where we want to be (with family over there as well). I believe I will be classed as Land Economist over in Oz, property Asset manager I am 39 and have worked for recognised international companies Strutt and Parker and Vigers in Hong Kong. An idea of wages would really help with planning our future.

Any advise appreciated,

Cheryl
Old Jan 13th 2007, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stormz
I work in the govt. as a web designer. All govt, job salries are fixed at 'levels'.

I`m at level 4 which is about $50k a year before taxes. A level 4 is about $4k less I think (for Graphic Designers).

If you want to apply for a govt pos. then you have to submit a 'Selection Criteria' thing, which is a very lengthy CV of questions/answers/explanations. Pain in the arse, but has to be done... and done properly, as they grade each answer out of 5.

We had some Graphic Designers apply here recently, and there were some that had MUCH better CV`s, but didn`t do a SC, so they got binned. Shame.

Hi,

I am sorry I realise that you posted some time ago but I have a quick question if you dont mind? I am a civil servant (Chartered Surveyor working as an asset manager for mod) I am hoping to get my PR visa in the next couple of months, have had meds and police checks etc. just waiting now. Can I apply for government jobs as Permanent Resident Visa holder or do I have to wait to get citizenship before I can work for the government?

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Cheryl
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

sellersrites is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sassenach
Bricklayer = price work average 2500 a week
OH , nurse = 1000 a week
the amount that you quote for a nurse is that around the average and is that after tax or before.

also is there a difference between agency work and normal work for a RGN.
We are considering a move and are just trying to find all the info thanks mate
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

roy and angela is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote=Coulterk;4254545]Police in WA from $52K-$110K depending on Rank

Link............... http://www.police.wa.gov.au/AboutUs/...n_theoffer.pdf

hi there,

i am looking to apply for one of the current supt vacancies with wa police are you in the wa police?
roy
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Carol, if you come to australia hubby will have to do all the plumbing exams again to australian standards its as simple as that, he will also have to do a course for general plumbing, a course for sewerage, course for gas, and so on every course cost money also he will have to be registered and that cost more money every 3 years, plumbers are the best paid trade in australia.

If he does any work for anyone thats domestic or commercial or industrial he must be responbsible for the entire installation for 6 years even if he has only done say a gas oven. The he will have to get insurance a min of $ 5,000,000
( 5 million) cover in case he stufs up anything.

So when people say plumbers are raking it in they should think of whats involved.
myself im an electrician and we also have to be registered and insured.

regards

arthur
Old Jan 15th 2007, 12:50 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Trainee Optimisation Technician (oil industry not FIFO) 67K
After 3 months 90K
Average 110k
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

angiemarie is a jewel in the roughangiemarie is a jewel in the roughangiemarie is a jewel in the roughangiemarie is a jewel in the rough
Default mental health nurse

does any one no how long you have to be in mental health nursing before they will eccept you in australia
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:15 pm
Danny Kay

Danny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant future

I am led to believe a min of 12 months after qualification but some states like 3 years post quals.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Hi,

I am sorry I realise that you posted some time ago but I have a quick question if you dont mind? I am a civil servant (Chartered Surveyor working as an asset manager for mod) I am hoping to get my PR visa in the next couple of months, have had meds and police checks etc. just waiting now. Can I apply for government jobs as Permanent Resident Visa holder or do I have to wait to get citizenship before I can work for the government?

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Cheryl
For most state government jobs you only have to be PR and some government jobs actually take on temporary residents. For certain state/federal government jobs, e.g. defence, tax office, etc, you have to be citizen.

All state governments as well as the federal government have job sites, for Victoria, assuming that's where you're going:

http://www.careers.vic.gov.au/

Mrs JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.