British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   the official jobs/wages thread... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/official-jobs-wages-thread-385198/)

njk435 Jul 17th 2006 6:33 am

Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Sergeant Aussie Army $56,000 pa + allowances

I think my OH may need to get a job :)

ridds Jul 17th 2006 7:17 am

Some salary survey websites that may help:

The Hays Salary Survey

The Ambit Salary Index (not just IT careers)

My Career

"Real life" people post their salaries at SalaryZone as a guide top what is *really* paid (as opposed to advertised).

When looking at the wages being paid in Australia (when not self-employed), remember to include the 9% compulsory superannuation payment that your employer is required to pay on your behalf to a specified Super Fund (as long as you earn more than $450 per month.) Read the wikipedia guide for more info.

HTH

Vash the Stampede Jul 17th 2006 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by sassenach
Bricklayer = price work average 2500 a week
OH , nurse = 1000 a week

How do you manage to survive on a combined income of only $3500 gross per week?

touchingcloth Jul 17th 2006 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by dotnron
Both of us turned these down, as we are not going to Perth, but to Adelaide. I also think the salary offered was too low for both of us. Looking on Seek we've found jobs advertised for more.

If Oz recruitment agents are anything like in the UK, you'll probably find that these jobs advertised don't exist and are just a means to get more candidates on their books.

A few days ago someone posted a website where people add their own salaries anonymously. Can't find it now...but it seems pretty good. You can filter by region, role etc

Did anyone see it/know the link???

TC

thomas and sarahjayne Jul 17th 2006 8:37 pm

require info

whats average salary of a plumber /gas fitter in victoria as many jobs advertised dont mention , normally say- wage negotiable if anyone can help

thanks

sarah-jayne

Dorothy Jul 17th 2006 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
If Oz recruitment agents are anything like in the UK, you'll probably find that these jobs advertised don't exist and are just a means to get more candidates on their books.

A few days ago someone posted a website where people add their own salaries anonymously. Can't find it now...but it seems pretty good. You can filter by region, role etc

TC

We didn't go through recruitment agencies. I was offered a job by a migration agent and my husband was offered a job by a company he emailed his resume to. The fellow who is in charge of the Perth office actually phoned us one night and spoke to my husband. Any jobs we see that are through agencies, we skip over. Both of us have scoured the yellow pages for firms we think we might like to work for and if a website is not listed then we phone them for an email address for the person who does the hiring. This seems to have worked, as I got an email from a company in Adelaide this morning inviting me to an interview when we land.

Vanessa Jul 18th 2006 7:56 am

For anyone in Melbourne area who wants to do house cleaning my friends in the Toorak area pay their cleaners $22 and $25 per hour respectively - they say that this is the going rate in that area - someone they know pays their lady $70 a hour to iron :eek: If you don't mind cleaning one of them is looking for a new cleaner - at the moment she employs a couple who do three hours each on two days so I would guess she would need someone for about 10 hours if they are on their own.

thribble Jul 18th 2006 8:11 am

Melbourne, Senior Water/Wastewater Engineer (actually doing project management!) I get $85k including super.

ridds Jul 18th 2006 8:17 am

Originally Posted by touchingcloth

TC

Salaryzone is a site like that, although it is a bit limited to it and finance salaries.

sassenach Jul 18th 2006 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Its a struggle i must admit ,and our johnny takes his wack.Plus we dont have a family life at all as we are both working 7 days and i work quite late into the evening and my wife works split shifts .So as you can see its all about applied effort and sacrifice .

Vash the Stampede Jul 18th 2006 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by sassenach
Its a struggle i must admit ,and our johnny takes his wack.Plus we dont have a family life at all as we are both working 7 days and i work quite late into the evening and my wife works split shifts .So as you can see its all about applied effort and sacrifice .

Yeah, I can imagine.

Clippy Jul 18th 2006 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

:scared: That's loads of money!

mick69 Jul 18th 2006 8:21 pm

I was just wondering what the average wage for a First Class Welder would be in the Perth area. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Lynne

Vash the Stampede Jul 18th 2006 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Clippies
:scared: That's loads of money!

Is it? I thought Australian wages were "crap." That's what people keep telling me. So I can only assume that $3500 gross a week is "crap."

After all, if sassenach and his OH can only survive on a joint wage of $3500 gross per week by "applied effort and sacrifice", then $3500 must be extremely "crap" indeed.

geordie mandy Jul 18th 2006 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by njk435
Sergeant Aussie Army $56,000 pa + allowances

I think my OH may need to get a job :)

What about warrent officers wage?
Mandy