Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the official jobs/wages thread...

the official jobs/wages thread...

Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:06 am
Paula Eddie and Family

Paula223 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Originally Posted by northernbird
$1500 per month not $150 a week. I spend between $250 and $300 on my normal weekly shop. That isn't accounting the bits and bobs in between although I do stock the freezer up with bread and milk so don't normally run out.
Hahahaha soz thought that would be ok lol,but yeh still think food shopping high and hate having to be carefull when i shop.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:08 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paula223
Hahahaha soz thought that would be ok lol,but yeh still think food shopping high and hate having to be carefull when i shop.
I agree although I used to spend 120 quid a week back in the UK so that isn't too much different to what I spend here. I think what is different for a lot of people is the ratio of salary to spending.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:12 am
Paula Eddie and Family

Originally Posted by northernbird
I agree although I used to spend 120 quid a week back in the UK so that isn't too much different to what I spend here. I think what is different for a lot of people is the ratio of salary to spending.
y

Yeh thats it,if wages where better then not a problem.I spent about 200 in UK or more but you did have more lol,but hey wouldnt change the way of life over here so the good outways the bad!!!
Just be nice not having to budget everything and us ladies love to spend!!!
But yeh i love it here so not complaining,and ive been lucky my sister lives around the corner to me and my mum coming to live here in about another 2 months so alls good!!
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:31 pm
Paula Eddie and Family

Originally Posted by Paula223
y

Yeh thats it,if wages where better then not a problem.I spent about 200 in UK or more but you did have more lol,but hey wouldnt change the way of life over here so the good outways the bad!!!
Just be nice not having to budget everything and us ladies love to spend!!!
But yeh i love it here so not complaining,and ive been lucky my sister lives around the corner to me and my mum coming to live here in about another 2 months so alls good!!
Theres a good place called SpudShed of Baldivis Rd then Karaseen Lane,prob spelt that wrong!but ure fruit veg cheese meats the lot is way cheaper than anywere else you save heaps
Old Nov 5th 2007, 2:00 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

This gives a very realistic view of wages in WA

http://www.ambit.com.au/salarysurvey

It may help anyone coming to WA (or currently in WA) with their negotiations.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:04 am
Just Joined

julie and chad is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ausi dream
Any licenced aircraft engineers out there (big planes).not propeller. What would the average wage be, and where do you look to find jobs for that profession, if you dont mind me asking.
hi yes i did have a contact my husband is ex airbus uk and also worked in tolouse is that the type of thing ?? pm me to get details julie and chad
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

m4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant future

We spend around £50 - £60 on food a week, from Tesco and mostly organic food, 2 adults, a toddler and a 7 month old. By the sounds of it the shopping will be a lot more?

Regards,

Mat
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:44 am
Just Joined

julie and chad is on a distinguished road

omg now im scared we have 5 kids 16,12,10,3 and 9 mth old i spend around £200 a week in tesco looks like we will be working to eat haha
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by m4t_lee
We spend around £50 - £60 on food a week, from Tesco and mostly organic food, 2 adults, a toddler and a 7 month old. By the sounds of it the shopping will be a lot more?

Regards,

Mat
You must have very small appetites!!!

5 of us (2 Adults 7,5,3yrs kids) little booze or meat still £100 at Sainsbury's, not organic either!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

suttons will become famous soon enoughsuttons will become famous soon enough

i agree, we are family of 5, me husband, 9yr, 6yr and 6 mth old and i do try and be careful about what we buy, spend about £100 per week at Tesco easily so am a little worried about food costs.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

m4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant future

Nope, not small appitites, i guess i haven't included nappies or toiletries in that total but we eat really well and don't starve ourselves by a long shot.

I looked at www.woolworths.com.au and the food is around the same, some things a few pence more, some a little cheaper, one or two odd items being a lot more like carrots and mushrooms. I was looking in the organic section tho.

We don't eat fizzy pop and junk type food or packet food which i guess is more expensive than ingredients.

I think it works out roughly the same.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

suttons will become famous soon enoughsuttons will become famous soon enough

thanks, made me feel relieved as my total £100 - £120 shop per week included toiletries and nappies etc. I think the way of life etc outweighs any negatives.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

brucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nice

Guys

Im work as a Sports Development Officer in the UK. Are there similar typed jobs there and how much do they pay?

My wife is a Nurse and has been offered a job in Brisbane. We are hoping to be over shortly after xmas, and she will be the only earner until I get something too. Im a Carpenter and Joiner by trade and also have over 7 years of experience in the Sign Making and Installation industry. So I dont believe I will struggle to find work. But my preferred career would be in the sport & recreation industry.

Just been reading through some of the topics on this site and there seems to be a number of folks struggling or complaining about high living costs, etc.

We are moving to Brisbane for a better quality of life to back in the UK. I was under the impression that cost of living was cheaper and more affordable in OZ??

Would a combined income of $90-100k be realistic and enough to live comfortably on with 9 yr old and 12 yr old kids??

Last edited by brucekaren; Nov 9th 2007 at 9:41 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Mida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really nice

[
=m4t_lee;5524959]Nope, not small appitites, i guess i haven't included nappies or toiletries in that total but we eat really well and don't starve ourselves by a long shot.

I looked at www.woolworths.com.au and the food is around the same, some things a few pence more, some a little cheaper, one or two odd items being a lot more like carrots and mushrooms. I was looking in the organic section tho.
Just come back from a visa validation trip to Australia and would agree that some things are slightly more expensive and some a little cheaper, but it was the price of nappies that got me. They are more than double the price of what we pay in the UK. I would have taken a supply with me if I had known.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 7:03 am
Nomadic Member

Rhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really nice

Originally Posted by suttons
i agree, we are family of 5, me husband, 9yr, 6yr and 6 mth old and i do try and be careful about what we buy, spend about £100 per week at Tesco easily so am a little worried about food costs.

Dont know if this will help or not but we did a mini food shop yesterday and here are the prices (compare to what you pay in the UK and it should translate for other items also) This was in Coles.

Kelloggs Nutrigrain 560grms $6.52
Masters Iced Coffee 2 Litres $3.99
Milk - Harvey Fresh Lite 2L $3.18
Bounty (fun size) 250 g $3.49
Red Onion 1 kg $1.75
Sanitarium Up & Go (3 Pack x 250g ea) $3.98
Bananas 0.927 kg $2.76
Baby Pak Choy 1 bunch $1.95
Ginger 0.137 kg $1.92
Sugar Snap Peas 150 grms $3.45
Vine Cherry Tomatoes 250 grms $3.95
Riviera Bleach 4 Litres $3.20
Mortein Insect Spray (350g) $9.63
Castello White Cheese 150 grms $3.99
Washed Potatoes 1.412 kg $2.61
Red Capsicum 0.217kg $2.16
Green Chillies 0.117 kg $1.64
Continental Cucumber x1 $1.67
Garlic 115 grm $3.95
Rocket Letuce Mix 100gms $2.95

(please dont post to tell me that Coles is not the cheapest - I know that, but it is the most convienient for me, so that (for me) offsets the extra cost)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.