Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the official jobs/wages thread...

the official jobs/wages thread...

Old Sep 9th 2007, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

KelvinandVanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Reading all these threads about Aus being so expensive to live is quiet worrying My OH is a plumber and is hoping to get a job quiet easily out in Melbourne (we hope) we've looked on the job websites and there seems to be plenty, they pay less than what he is on now but he may go as a sub-contractor if the pay is better. How much did everyone spend a week on food in the uk, because the amount that everyone seems to be spending out there in oz sounds like huge amounts, our bill on food a week is around £80 a week and hoping it wont be much different in oz. We are hoping to go over to Melbourne soon to sus the place out, so hopefully try and work out what most of our outgoings will be, we are going open minded and not planning to have anything to flash (even though we have seen a few gorgeous houses that we could aford) and ease ourselves into the cost of this new life style that we dream of. Has anyone got any comparisons on what they use to spend on things to what they spend now over in oz

Vanessa.
Love this website, we are addicted
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KelvinandVanessa
Reading all these threads about Aus being so expensive to live is quiet worrying My OH is a plumber and is hoping to get a job quiet easily out in Melbourne (we hope) we've looked on the job websites and there seems to be plenty, they pay less than what he is on now but he may go as a sub-contractor if the pay is better. How much did everyone spend a week on food in the uk, because the amount that everyone seems to be spending out there in oz sounds like huge amounts, our bill on food a week is around £80 a week and hoping it wont be much different in oz. We are hoping to go over to Melbourne soon to sus the place out, so hopefully try and work out what most of our outgoings will be, we are going open minded and not planning to have anything to flash (even though we have seen a few gorgeous houses that we could aford) and ease ourselves into the cost of this new life style that we dream of. Has anyone got any comparisons on what they use to spend on things to what they spend now over in oz

Vanessa.
It's one of those questions that's hard to answer - mainly because it's different for everyone. For us, we seem to have a bit more 'spare' cash here than we did in the UK. But because we brought some cash with us we did pay for things like insurance etc yearly instead of weekly/monthly so that gave us a head start.

Now my OH is in a steady job I put something away each payday and can manage to pay bills outright when they come in, that's thanks to not having to worry about budgetting for things from the start.

I also think that people tend to live to their means, so the more income you have the more you spend

Our grocery bills are about $150 per week - they were about £90 in the UK, but there were 5 of us there and only 4 here.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:47 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KelvinandVanessa

Vanessa.
Overall COL is similar to UK - maybe slightly cheaper here. Food is more expensive here. Utilities, fuel and insurance are cheaper. Electrical goods are roughly the same, some are cheaper in Australia. Eating out is cheaper but drinking is more expensive, well it is in Perth anyway. Rents and council tax are less here and of course, houses are less here too.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

helen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nice

Originally Posted by hubbard
Me - Snr Business Analyst - $110k + supa
Husband - IT Solutions Architect (contractor) $85 per hour

These are Sydney wages
My husband's in IT contracting too. Not considered Sydney as thought price of houses would be too expensive. Is this true?
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

lee71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just waiting for skill assesment to come back. wondered if anyone on here new of job opportunities for AME's in NSW hoping to get to Newcastle.(first post)
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice
Smile Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Good on you I say! You're working extremely hard to earn an honest buck - dont see why you should be criticised for it?! Obviously I'm as jealous as hell though!!
had a quick look for plasterers in perth but can't see any, anyone got any ideas????
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:37 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bev1
had a quick look for plasterers in perth but can't see any, anyone got any ideas????
My plasterers day rate is $400 per day.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:38 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
My plasterers day rate is $400 per day.
OMG! Dale is sooooooooo in the wrong trade!!!!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 10:16 am
Just Joined

hubby is a plumber, anyone over there doing plumbing? wot are the wages like? had a look on job websites and got a rough idea but its always handy to here from the horses mouth (not saying that any of you actualy look like horses!!)

Vanessa
Old Sep 13th 2007, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

appyarry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dh1905
Hi everyone,
Thought it would be a good idea for the people not yet here in Oz who are researching,to get an idea of the wages paid here and for what job (and for the people here in Oz who just want to be nosey ) .As this is info I found hard to get hold of in the UK.
Although, if you would rather not disclose all your personal details, just popdown what you are happy with people knowing, I'm sure it would be a help.

Me- not working
Hubby- Carpenter on $30 an hr

We are on the Gold Coast.

Donna xxx
hi hopes alls goin well for you . i have a question i was hoping you could answer , did your husband need a licence to work as a chippy . if so what did he need to get it . thats it. all the best john
Old Sep 14th 2007, 12:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

This got emailed to me yeaterday. If you are one of these people move to Perth.

it's never been so good and shows no sign of stopping.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Hays.pdf (496.3 KB, 398 views)
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Hi There is so many on here that know so much about wages I wonder if you can help us?

My partner is a hairdresser but wants to stick to doing mens hair can you tell me how much a week a barber could earn?

I will have my nvq 2 in child care I will be able to look after children both at home or in a day nursery (up to 16 years old).I would like to look after the little ones in a school or pre school ( not sure how it works in Oz) how much a week will I earn?

We are looking to be in Adelaide middle of 2008.

Thanks for any help you can give it may stop me worrying that we will be able to eat once there lol x

Tina
Old Sep 14th 2007, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steveandtina
Hi There is so many on here that know so much about wages I wonder if you can help us?

My partner is a hairdresser but wants to stick to doing mens hair can you tell me how much a week a barber could earn?

I will have my nvq 2 in child care I will be able to look after children both at home or in a day nursery (up to 16 years old).I would like to look after the little ones in a school or pre school ( not sure how it works in Oz) how much a week will I earn?

We are looking to be in Adelaide middle of 2008.

Thanks for any help you can give it may stop me worrying that we will be able to eat once there lol x

Tina
sorry i cant tell you how much a barber earns, but i am also a hairdresser but im wanting a change in career i was thinking maybe child care, being able to work in day nurseries, so it could fit round the kids. How long did it
take to do your nvq2, is this all i would need? New life in oz, and maybe new career, have to try and find out on some of the job websites to get an idea of wages over in oz!
Vanessa
Vanessa
Old Sep 14th 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Hi kevin and vanessa

I'm doing my nvq2 at the moment it starts in sept and finish in june. Iv been told I should be able to work in Oz with that but even that i'v had my police checks (CRB not the same for visa) I will still need an Australian police check before I can work there.

If you want to do it you need to be working in a nursery and I go to college 1 morning a week most of it is done at the nursery you have to work at least 6 hours a week. I volunteer (mad I know) but that way I get most of my college fees paid. The money is min wage in uk, But the pay is better (so I'v been told) in Oz and you get the hols with the kids and don't have to worry about child care as it costly there.

Hope this helps.

Tina
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steveandtina
Hi kevin and vanessa

I'm doing my nvq2 at the moment it starts in sept and finish in june. Iv been told I should be able to work in Oz with that but even that i'v had my police checks (CRB not the same for visa) I will still need an Australian police check before I can work there.

If you want to do it you need to be working in a nursery and I go to college 1 morning a week most of it is done at the nursery you have to work at least 6 hours a week. I volunteer (mad I know) but that way I get most of my college fees paid. The money is min wage in uk, But the pay is better (so I'v been told) in Oz and you get the hols with the kids and don't have to worry about child care as it costly there.

Hope this helps.

Tina
Hi Tina, my daughter is studying child care at college (started this week) she would like to continue in Australia,she would rather it be at her college she is at now!,we arrive in the Goldcoast on the 5th Jan 08,
how do i go about getting her a college place ect and nursery,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.