Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the official jobs/wages thread...

the official jobs/wages thread...

Old Jun 8th 2007, 10:41 am
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all
Default Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

I'm working casual as a 'research assistant' and I've just had my hourly rate increased to $30 per hour. It's casual because that suits me better, the work is there and I've been offered permanent for a slightly lower rate.

Does anyone know what a software developer (with lots of experience especially working in the financial sector) should be earning on an hourly rate basis? We are living regional and my husband is on $38 per hour, we know it's low as he was earning that in £'s in the UK, but it does have it's benefits as he can still do work through the business we have set up.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:13 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Just started as an IT Contractor doing some AV and SOE consulting. $60 an hour.

Just left a perm job I was in for 5 years. Base was 53k plus 5k for being on call every 5 weeks. Was promoted 3 times without a pay rise. A bit of bloodsucking will do me well for a while and then another perm job to get a mortgage. It is a good time to go contract.

Got the job through www.finite.com.au . Not sure what they are like as an agency but they got me a job.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Brian Wilson is an unknown quantity at this point

I am planning to join my wife in Brisbane next year, however, before I come out I have the opportunity to retrain and gain qualifications for use in a new job.

At the moment I am thinking of doing CISCO networking, Security alarm installation or Tiling. Any suggestions as to what can give me the best employment prospects.

Many Thanks
Old Jun 10th 2007, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauraC
Yeah, I may work more hours for less money. But right now I work a lot of hours for b*gger all money, I don't think it can be worse.
The worst it should get in Melbourne, would be AUD16.50 (Adult rates) per hour, in one of the big Supermarkets, and getting called up to work with only 2 hours notice. Not going when called up would mean going to the bottom of the list, when the shifts are rostered.

Note when established at one of these supermarkets, you can earn up to 28 bucks per hour for working on a public holiday. Plus they will be offered the most hours.

If someone were to arrive in a big centre today, and put their name down at 5 supermarkets, they should be working within a month.

AFAIK, the biggest shortage of staff at present, would be in the (PCA) Personal Care Attendant catagory. Circa from 18 (casual rate) bucks per hour, after a 3 month TAFE course. It can be unpleasant at times though. IE: AKA bum wipers.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 5:32 am
Banned

madison2100 is an unknown quantity at this point

only 100 a month
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

anson is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,
i`ve been thinking about moving to australia for the last 2 years.
i would just like to know ..how much does a telecom engineer earn over there?. i do installations/overhead work/underground work(jointer) faults/exchange work and broadband faults.
i work for that certain large telecom company here in the UK(previously known as GPO).
any info would be appreciated
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:21 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brian Wilson
I am planning to join my wife in Brisbane next year, however, before I come out I have the opportunity to retrain and gain qualifications for use in a new job.

At the moment I am thinking of doing CISCO networking, Security alarm installation or Tiling. Any suggestions as to what can give me the best employment prospects.

Many Thanks
Can you combine CISCO Networking with tiling? Maybe there's a server room that needs new routers and crazy-paving?

Seriously, the IT industry here is booming...
Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Anyone any idea what fund accountants should be earning in Melbourne?
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:25 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Anyone any idea what fund accountants should be earning in Melbourne?
Depends how good they are

Are you meaning more fund management or the clerical side? View Seek.com for good indication or the Hays survey (google for it).

Accountants generally have a very broad income range. Some who call themselves accountants are actually only bookkeepers earning in the vicinity of $40K to $60K while others $180K+.

I would say it depends on the industry, the size of company, the individual skill set the company is after (and background).

There are also a lot of people who have been earning large sums based on length of service with a company or organisation so when they leave its not a true reflection of their market value or worth. Case in point a staff member of mine left recently on $140K and now cant get work unless they drop their pay too $80K (and they are finding they are working their arses off even in these roles - note to one self to bring out the whip).

Best advice I could give is talk to a number of agents and discuss your CV in detail with them.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

hi does anyone know how much a high voltage engneer is being paid (ie national grid type) in perth?? is being offered $62,0000 is this ok and can you live on it 2 adults and 2 under 5????
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:42 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
hi does anyone know how much a high voltage engneer is being paid (ie national grid type) in perth?? is being offered $62,0000 is this ok and can you live on it 2 adults and 2 under 5????
Are you a HV design/project/commisioning engineer with a degree/HND and have IEE status? If so then $62k, in this current market, is derisory and basically, insulting. The bare, bare minimum would be $100k, and realistically you would be looking at $150k and probably more. The job market in engineering is beyond white hot at the moment. It's more like thermonuclear! All the resource projects have huge HV requirements and Western Power is embarking on $5 billion of upgrades to the network.

Whoever offered you that is taking the piss. Good luck.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

field eng in the uk

but is being offered a design job in oz which have little experience

no degree has hnc,onc city and guilds etc plus 12yrs experience from aprentice upwards

also they are giving us a 457
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Depends how good they are

Are you meaning more fund management or the clerical side? View Seek.com for good indication or the Hays survey (google for it).

Accountants generally have a very broad income range. Some who call themselves accountants are actually only bookkeepers earning in the vicinity of $40K to $60K while others $180K+.

I would say it depends on the industry, the size of company, the individual skill set the company is after (and background).
Sorry to give you a better idea.
Its for my wife and she is an ACCA member, she has a degree in finance and accounting and 5 years experience as a financial reports analyst in fund management with JP Morgan. She is looking for something similar in Melbourne.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:22 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
field eng in the uk

but is being offered a design job in oz which have little experience

no degree has hnc,onc city and guilds etc plus 12yrs experience from aprentice upwards

also they are giving us a 457
Okay, fair enough. I still think $62k is low for this current market, even though he might need some design experience. With 12 years experience, I reckon $80k would be more like it.

A few more points (i'm not trying to be smart but I work in this industry in Perth and know the setup):
On a 457 he is going to be restricted to the sponsoring employer. I know from friends who are on 457s that this soon starts to irritate as they see their colleagues who are PR or Aussies change companies at will, get paid twice as much as them etc. It becomes an issue, trust me.
There are agencies that employ 457s on a contract basis and these guys get market rate and can move around. It's not common, but it happens, I know someone who works like this.
It's so good in engineering here at the moment, that anyone working in this industry wants to make as much as they can and set themselves up for the future. It's going to go on for a while more but not forever.

Seriously, $62k is not enough. He can get more.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

hi oh will be working in a very big firm in cental perth,one that you may have mentioned be4

oh feels that he will climb the ladder much quicker over in oz than in the uk as there is no chance of progressing over here.

feels that its only 4 2yrs and then we can apply for pr that its worth doing.

ps hes been offered grade 7 but as there is 3 bands we dont know which one hes been offered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.