Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the official jobs/wages thread...

the official jobs/wages thread...

Old May 18th 2007, 11:23 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of
Default Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
Hmm, $85k for a 48 week year at 16 hours per week - I think I could put up with that!
LOL!!
Firstly I only teach for 43 weeks of the year.
Secondly I don't get paid for the preparation of lectures or marking student's work.
Thirdly although I am teaching 16 hours a week this academic year it is not guaranteed next year.
Still - I do enjoy it and I also appreciate that it is a cushy number.
Prefer to be permanent full time though.
Old May 18th 2007, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
LOL!!
Firstly I only teach for 43 weeks of the year.
Secondly I don't get paid for the preparation of lectures or marking student's work.
Thirdly although I am teaching 16 hours a week this academic year it is not guaranteed next year.
Still - I do enjoy it and I also appreciate that it is a cushy number.
Prefer to be permanent full time though.
As a matter of interest, what do you teach? Presumably not woodcutting!
Old May 18th 2007, 11:27 am

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
As a matter of interest, what do you teach? Presumably not woodcutting!
Human Resource Management at degree and masters level.
Old May 19th 2007, 12:41 am
Just Joined

shane-sullivan is an unknown quantity at this point

Academic salaries depend upon the scale. If yoru a lecturer you will earn somewhere in mid 70s
Old May 19th 2007, 12:46 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
Human Resource Management at degree and masters level.
Add a $100K and go work in private sector

Same hours
Same stress levels
Same students (I mean clients)
Old May 19th 2007, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Add a $100K and go work in private sector

Same hours
Same stress levels
Same students (I mean clients)
Been there, done that. Can't stand the rat race and politics. It is a question of lifestyle. The culture of university academia is less stressfull than the private sector. As long as I deliver a lecture when I am supposed to I am left alone. I can work at home quite a bit so it fits in with my wife's shift patterns and childcare (she is a nurse). Plus the holidays are a bonus.
Old May 19th 2007, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

kazandjim will become famous soon enoughkazandjim will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Hi does anyone know the wages for a boilermaker/fabricator
in the brisbane area?.
Jimmy
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:40 am
Just Joined

mick dundee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dh1905
Hi everyone,
Thought it would be a good idea for the people not yet here in Oz who are researching,to get an idea of the wages paid here and for what job (and for the people here in Oz who just want to be nosey ) .As this is info I found hard to get hold of in the UK.
Although, if you would rather not disclose all your personal details, just popdown what you are happy with people knowing, I'm sure it would be a help.

Me- not working
Hubby- Carpenter on $30 an hr

We are on the Gold Coast.

Donna xxx

Hi mick here, any idea of what sparkys (electrician) get in queensland
looking around Noosa area
as i was offered 85k in sydney
thanks
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:15 am
Just Joined

mick dundee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dh1905
Hi everyone,
Thought it would be a good idea for the people not yet here in Oz who are researching,to get an idea of the wages paid here and for what job (and for the people here in Oz who just want to be nosey ) .As this is info I found hard to get hold of in the UK.
Although, if you would rather not disclose all your personal details, just popdown what you are happy with people knowing, I'm sure it would be a help.

Me- not working
Hubby- Carpenter on $30 an hr

We are on the Gold Coast.

Donna xxx

thanks
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mick dundee
thanks

Anywhere between $25 and $35 per hour, probably not as much as Sydney, but don't forget that the Cost of Living is a lot more in Sydney
Old May 24th 2007, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

kflee0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear members,

Can someone kindly give me an idea of salary range of a title "Senior Pump Engineer" with pump hydraulic design background with 7 years of experience in Brisbane.

Thanks
Kflee0
Old May 29th 2007, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

allthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to all

Hi there, could anyone give me a rough idea of what my hubby could earn in Adelaide, he is a multi skilled maintenance engineer dealing with electrical, mechanical and electronic repairs. We are currently applying for a 136 visa with dh going on the electrical side of his job although he does have alot of experience with the other parts of his job. He presently works repairing large machinery and if possible could anybody let me know what the job prospects are like for him as well.

Thanks in advance, the advice I have received on this site so far has been very helpful

Jacky xx
Old May 29th 2007, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allthejs
Hi there, could anyone give me a rough idea of what my hubby could earn in Adelaide, he is a multi skilled maintenance engineer dealing with electrical, mechanical and electronic repairs. We are currently applying for a 136 visa with dh going on the electrical side of his job although he does have alot of experience with the other parts of his job. He presently works repairing large machinery and if possible could anybody let me know what the job prospects are like for him as well.

Thanks in advance, the advice I have received on this site so far has been very helpful

Jacky xx
Hi Jacky,

That's what my hubby does.

Can I ask, does he have any Electrical Qualifications (like City and Guilds etc)?
Old May 30th 2007, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

allthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to all

Hi Wendy, thanks for the reply

Yes, hubby has all of those qualifications. He has a 4.5 year apprenticeship, City and Guilds, HNC and HND along with loads of others things. He has only worked for the one employer since doing A levels so that should make all the form filling a little easier!

Where abouts are you in Oz? We were hoping to go to Adelaide but I keep getting swayed by Perth. How do you decide? We are hoping to make a trip about Easter Next year to have a good look about.

Thanks again

Jacky xx
Old May 30th 2007, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by allthejs
Hi Wendy, thanks for the reply

Yes, hubby has all of those qualifications. He has a 4.5 year apprenticeship, City and Guilds, HNC and HND along with loads of others things. He has only worked for the one employer since doing A levels so that should make all the form filling a little easier!

Where abouts are you in Oz? We were hoping to go to Adelaide but I keep getting swayed by Perth. How do you decide? We are hoping to make a trip about Easter Next year to have a good look about.

Thanks again

Jacky xx

Hi again

I'm in Adelaide

Well with an A class licence in South Australia, he would be looking at around $50 - $60k per year, more with overtime. Without a licence, around $45 - $55k. There may be jobs about who pay more, but they are mostly either up in the Barossa Valley, or in the mines so would be fly-in fly-out.

There is a demand for people with PLC skills, and also Siemens programming and diagnostics if he knows it.
South Australia is the easiest place to get a licence and if you need any help with that just let me know and I'll go through it all with you. Although the TRA are changing things soon, so hopefully you should be able to do all that before you come over anyway.

We picked here because we applied to the TRA before electricians were put on the MODL list, so we were 5 points short of the 136. Luckily for us it went on before the visa application though. We had done so much research into SA we thought there was no point changing our minds, also I have family here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.