Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the official jobs/wages thread...

the official jobs/wages thread...

Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:03 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Originally Posted by emmalina
my hubby bricklayer, roore, plasterer - does he have to get alicence to work in Queensland - if so how does he do it and is it complicated - any info will be useful thanks xx
not really up together on licensing over in banana bender country ,but if he is a brickie i would say stay away from the east coast as its never as good as west coast for building trades beacause of the way they build there .come to perth is my advice
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:12 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by coxdebra
I dont understand why you feel I have a problem with it!!!!

I am just pointing out my observations. - Having lived and worked in Australia for 18 months I am aware of lots of misconceptions people gather from others - and how misleading it can be as to what you experience when you actually get here. I have met people who have really struggled to get work, despite being told its easy to find a job. I have met people who cant afford to stay here and have had to go back to the UK because they cant afford to live here due to 'poor' wages. Each circumstance is different, but I think its important to know what you are letting yourself in for - fair enough if you already have a job and know what you are earning, but there are many who are not as fortunate as that and I dont think its fair to be fooled by "what might be". For many people (like me and my husband) we came here and it was 'pot luck' regarding what jobs we would get, fortunately we have been lucky - but thats not to say its been easy. We very nearly went back a year ago!!!!
I think people in the uk have to realise that australia is like two differnt countrys ,East and West .West is best for all tradesman who are in the construction industry and mining ,although electricians and plumbers still have a hard time getting their qualification recognised anywher in aussie .
I am under the impression the IT industry isnt worth a toss anywhere in aussie and people are better off staying in europe if they want to stay in that industry .
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Kelly C is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking to move over to Oz at some point this year if all goes according to plan. I am a Service Account Manager for an IT & Telco company but also have a 4 year Marketing background in this area also - any ideas on rates of pay in Perth or Brisbane?
OH is an Air Conditioning Engineers so don't think he will have any problems with getting a job, most we have seen are $60k/ $70k basic in Perth - is this similar in Brisbane?
Old Jan 25th 2007, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

OMG pages and pages and yet noone seems to be at the lower end of the wages scale
Im hoping to go on skilled independent, Im a chef/cook (not decided which yet lol) im not going to be able to work nights as i have kids (ages 14 & 11) but dont mind putting in the hours otherwise.
so how much does a cook stand to earn per week? will i need to sell my body just to make ends meet??
Old Jan 25th 2007, 7:34 pm
scot looking for job, ain

frankpayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Decorator / signage wage info required

Brill Thread.
Wonder if any one can enlighten me , i'm from Scotland and about to bite the bullit, haha.

I have various skills, Accountant ( not interested in doing now )
Painter decorator 15 years exp.
Signmaker/ installer, full colour graphics etc.

I am hoping to get a job in Aus in either of the trades, is there capacity/ employment in the last two mentioed, and if so what is the going rate.

Oh, I'M AN OLDY AT 45 LOL.
Ta Frank
Old Jan 25th 2007, 7:57 pm
hairdresser, bristol X

emmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
What is your profession and where are you going? I'll see if I can help
hi wendy i wonder if you can halp me. i am a hairdresser and have passed the tra, awaiting visa reply. Husband is a brickie/plasterer/builder, we are gong to sunshine coast - will we need to get licences to work and if so, how will we go about it. is there anything we can do now while we are in england to shorten the process.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

ken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura about

Hi all, i used to work in IT in England, but got fed up with it. So when we came to Au's i fancied doing a different job. So i got a job as a postie. i've been doing it now for 3 years and love it. last year a earn t $50 k and my wife is a nicu nurse and she earn t $70 k.
We are living in Melbourne and life is good.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
I think people in the uk have to realise that australia is like two differnt countrys ,East and West .West is best for all tradesman who are in the construction industry and mining ,although electricians and plumbers still have a hard time getting their qualification recognised anywher in aussie .
I am under the impression the IT industry isnt worth a toss anywhere in aussie and people are better off staying in europe if they want to stay in that industry .
The problems with IT/being a professional seems a bit of a myth to me. There was a time, even when IT was high on the MODL in around 2000/1/2? that people said they couldn't get work. Recently it seems a lot easier.

I've noticed, if you're a reasonably good middle level developer with good social skills then you will get work, early entrants or desktop people with yet another MSCE then maybe not. There seems to be a bit of luck somewhere too - some people report nothing, others swim in. There's no rhyme or reason.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ken-6
Hi all, i used to work in IT in England, but got fed up with it. So when we came to Au's i fancied doing a different job. So i got a job as a postie. i've been doing it now for 3 years and love it. last year a earn t $50 k and my wife is a nicu nurse and she earn t $70 k.
We are living in Melbourne and life is good.
Hi
Can you give me more details on your job? like what time do you start work? how long are your hours things like that?
Old Jan 26th 2007, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to all

Well being a qualified carp with 10 years experience im sure ill find work somewhere not as if im moving over to live on mc donalds wages
Old Jan 26th 2007, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

hey dont knock macdonalds wages if i have to get a job in macdonalds to get a wage coming in then macdonalds it is
Old Jan 27th 2007, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

hi wendy i wonder if you can halp me. i am a hairdresser and have passed the tra, awaiting visa reply. Husband is a brickie/plasterer/builder, we are gong to sunshine coast - will we need to get licences to work and if so, how will we go about it. is there anything we can do now while we are in england to shorten the process.

I'm not sure about up that way. Put up a thread in the main forum someone from over that way will know for definate
Old Jan 27th 2007, 7:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
OMG pages and pages and yet noone seems to be at the lower end of the wages scale
Im hoping to go on skilled independent, Im a chef/cook (not decided which yet lol) im not going to be able to work nights as i have kids (ages 14 & 11) but dont mind putting in the hours otherwise.
so how much does a cook stand to earn per week? will i need to sell my body just to make ends meet??
Don't forget to keep an eye on the professions forums as well -
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71
Old Jan 27th 2007, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

ken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura about

Hi there, well i start at 6 am, but they have now changed that to 630 for new starters, so they don't have to pay penalty rates. I usually finish anything between 11 am to 4pm just depends on how busy, but the later is Christmas time. Hope this helps, but it is a great job no stress and out in the sun and meeting nice people. No idiots that i had to deal with in IT and I've done that job for 7 years.for my sins
Old Jan 27th 2007, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ken-6
Hi there, well i start at 6 am, but they have now changed that to 630 for new starters, so they don't have to pay penalty rates. I usually finish anything between 11 am to 4pm just depends on how busy, but the later is Christmas time. Hope this helps, but it is a great job no stress and out in the sun and meeting nice people. No idiots that i had to deal with in IT and I've done that job for 7 years.for my sins
sounds great! will def look into it when we get there! Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.