Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the official jobs/wages thread...

the official jobs/wages thread...

Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

borolad will become famous soon enoughborolad will become famous soon enough
Default Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Originally Posted by Jcqdnld
Hi

Does anyone know what a Painter & Decorator gets paid in Adelaide or Hobart?

Thanks Jacqui
hi jcqdnld,if i could just second your question .i also need to know this as my application would be through this trade . at the moment in the uk hourly rates are- employment circa £ 8.50 and self emplyed £ 10.00 < 12.00
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 1:29 pm
XDA
Forum Regular

XDA is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Dear All

I have read many of the threds concerning the Jos and Wages in Oz and i think that we should all remember that the cost of living is far less in oz than the uk. I was there in June activating my visa and we had a great time. One meal stands out we had lunch at the watefront with our family 6 of us and this was over lookingthe bridge and opera house and the meal was only £20 per head including wine. I don't think i could get such value with such great views in any european city.

Regards

XDA
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:05 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XDA
Dear All

I have read many of the threds concerning the Jos and Wages in Oz and i think that we should all remember that the cost of living is far less in oz than the uk. I was there in June activating my visa and we had a great time. One meal stands out we had lunch at the watefront with our family 6 of us and this was over lookingthe bridge and opera house and the meal was only £20 per head including wine. I don't think i could get such value with such great views in any european city.

Regards

XDA
Eatng out is cheaper here. A lot of other things cost the same or more. Overall COL is roughly the same. If you think COL is a lot cheaper then you are in for a rude awakening when you move here.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:17 pm
XDA
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Eatng out is cheaper here. A lot of other things cost the same or more. Overall COL is roughly the same. If you think COL is a lot cheaper then you are in for a rude awakening when you move here.

What areas have you found more expensive than the uk just so i can get ready for the increase.

Regards

XDA
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XDA
What areas have you found more expensive than the uk just so i can get ready for the increase.

Regards

XDA
What you need to bear in mind is that when you are on holiday, you are earning pounds, but spending in dollars. Once you are earning AND spending in dollars you will find that the actual cost of living is much the same.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:29 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XDA

Regards

XDA
Items that spring to mind:
Some groceries, vegetables etc.
Electrical goods.
2nd hand cars.
Some furniture.
Bedding, linen etc.
Hardware, building & DIY stuff.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:44 pm
XDA
Forum Regular

Items that spring to mind:
Some groceries, vegetables etc.
Electrical goods.
2nd hand cars.
Some furniture.
Bedding, linen etc.
Hardware, building & DIY stuff.
Dear Amazulu

I have just read your list and i am sorry but i have to disagree on a few of these items. The price of cars is lower in oz than the uk as i have just bought my wife a Toyota RAV4 and the same model in oz is £7000 less and yes that is pounds not dollars. The electrical good are cheaper as well, i work for a multi national electrical goods manufacturer and the cost of our products in oz is 20% cheaper than the uk. The furniture one is a little bit tricky but i have just imported some bedroom furniture form our last trip to oz and the super king size solid wood beds cost me £500 delivered amazing price. As for the other items i will have to wait and see.

Regards

XDA
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by XDA
Dear Amazulu

I have just read your list and i am sorry but i have to disagree on a few of these items. The price of cars is lower in oz than the uk as i have just bought my wife a Toyota RAV4 and the same model in oz is £7000 less and yes that is pounds not dollars. The electrical good are cheaper as well, i work for a multi national electrical goods manufacturer and the cost of our products in oz is 20% cheaper than the uk. The furniture one is a little bit tricky but i have just imported some bedroom furniture form our last trip to oz and the super king size solid wood beds cost me £500 delivered amazing price. As for the other items i will have to wait and see.

Regards

XDA
Whatever dude. I know what I've bought.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Jcqdnld is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree with Amazulu, everybody I have spoke to has said that the cost of living is higher.

Regards

Jacqui
Old Oct 24th 2006, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I would contest.... Although I will admit to not being fully aware of the UK prices. Would be Electricals. I'm sure they are cheaper here. People seem to Assume that the 25-35 pct premium that Harvey Norman charge is the norm.

One thing is for sure, I reckon I can source any computer part or system cheaper here.

www.msy.com.au

Whats the cheapest you can get a Quality Divx player in the UK for ?
Old Oct 24th 2006, 8:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The only thing I would contest.... Although I will admit to not being fully aware of the UK prices. Would be Electricals. I'm sure they are cheaper here. People seem to Assume that the 25-35 pct premium that Harvey Norman charge is the norm.

One thing is for sure, I reckon I can source any computer part or system cheaper here.

www.msy.com.au

Whats the cheapest you can get a Quality Divx player in the UK for ?
I reckon this is a good deal for GBP40. Toshiba is a good brand:
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/2569...tml?srcid=4018
Old Oct 24th 2006, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really nice

Hi could anyone tell me what the going rate for a car paint sprayer in the Perth area is. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Ian.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future

Does anybody know how much a catering service engineer in Sydney earns? They are the ones who fix the cookers, griddles etc in commercial kitchens in hotels or restaurants.

I have looked on various websites for this type of job but without knowing exactly what the job title is on Oz I cant find any.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

StellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura about

anyone currently working as a "Network and Information Systems Manager" in the IT field in Perth? How much do you earn? I have an MCSE (2000) and CCNA. If you don't mind it would be really helpful and would ease my mind a little.

thanks
Dave
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian444
Hi could anyone tell me what the going rate for a car paint sprayer in the Perth area is. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Ian.
I can tell you the Melbourne rates. One of my freinds is a fully qualified spray painter. Although he hadn't worked in the trade for years. He just left the Post office with a package, and had a job lined up for starting the day after he left. Takes home circa 1,200 per fortnight, on about 21 dollars per hour. That should be considered starting money, as he hadn't worked at it full time for 20 odd years. If he was a self employed contractor he reckons he would be on circa 45 bucks per hour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.