British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Official Documents needed to Work (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/official-documents-needed-work-880682/)

Ccyounger Jul 20th 2016 9:04 am

Official Documents needed to Work

Hi Everyone,
I've read through a lot of posts and the general consensus seems to be that as a permanent migrant to Australia, there are several 'must-have' documents that are necessary to make it easier to get employed.
  • TFN Number
  • Medicare card
  • State Drivers Licence (not essential, but useful as an AU issued photo ID)

My question, are there any other essential documents that employers will require?

Many Thanks,
ccyounger

Beoz Jul 20th 2016 9:10 am

Re: Official Documents needed to Work

Originally Posted by Ccyounger (Post 12007121)
Hi Everyone,
I've read through a lot of posts and the general consensus seems to be that as a permanent migrant to Australia, there are several 'must-have' documents that are necessary to make it easier to get employed.
  • TFN Number
  • Medicare card

My question, are there any other essential documents that employers will require?

Many Thanks,
ccyounger

Citizenship or a visa that allows you to work.

But frankly, you can actually work without the items you mention above. Or showing them. I have never been asked. TFN helped though.

spouse of scouse Jul 20th 2016 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12007128)
Citizenship or a visa that allows you to work.

But frankly, you can actually work without the items you mention above. Or showing them. I have never been asked. TFN helped though.

You don't have to provide your tax file number to your employer, but if you don't you'll pay a higher rate of tax.

OzSheila Jul 20th 2016 11:37 am

Hi Everyone,
  • TFN Number
  • Medicare card

Many Thanks,
ccyounger

An employer should request proof from you that you have the right to work in Australia. My Company requests a copy of your passport or if a holder of a foreign passport, a copy of the appropriate Visa.

Directors of Companies can be held personally liable for employing individuals who do not have a "right to work in Australia".

The only document that you have listed above that employers are interested in, is your TFN but as others have said, it is not mandatory.

HTH

Beoz Jul 20th 2016 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by OzSheila (Post 12007227)
An employer should request proof from you that you have the right to work in Australia. My Company requests a copy of your passport or if a holder of a foreign passport, a copy of the appropriate Visa.

Directors of Companies can be held personally liable for employing individuals who do not have a "right to work in Australia".

The only document that you have listed above that employers are interested in, is your TFN but as others have said, it is not mandatory.

HTH

In 2010 50% of Australians didn't own a passport. Does that mean only 50% of Australians were eligible to work for you in 2010?

OzSheila Jul 21st 2016 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12007305)
In 2010 50% of Australians didn't own a passport. Does that mean only 50% of Australians were eligible to work for you in 2010?

Well without a passport it's a little more difficult:confused:
Eligibility and Right to Work in Australia - Department of Human Services, Victoria, Australia

Swerv-o Jul 21st 2016 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12007305)

I've never been asked for evidence of right to work here.

S

Bermudashorts Jul 21st 2016 6:09 am

Hi Everyone,
  • TFN Number
  • Medicare card

Many Thanks,
ccyounger

You don't need any of those things to start work, why would your employer care if you have enrolled in Medicare or can drive (unless your job involves driving of course). :unsure:

You can start work without a TFN, but obviously the sooner you get it the better so your tax is calculated properly.

Tr1boy Jul 21st 2016 7:59 am

Hi Everyone,
  • TFN Number
  • Medicare card

Many Thanks,
ccyounger

I think you're looking at this the wrong way round. None of those are documents you need to work but they are things that you need to pretty much function in Oz.

An employer will as for they what they want, it will vary but usually what they ask for is a combination of the 'life documents' that you should already have. They will also inform you what to bring before an interview.

The questions seems an odd one to me.

Ccyounger Jul 21st 2016 10:11 am

I should have explained at the top that I have a visa that allows me to work, so the question was perhaps more orientated around essential documents supplementary to this.

Thanks for the guidance, i have a better sense of where to prioritise. For anyone else reading this thread and interested in TRN i found this link that is the right page to apply from (although you can only apply for a TRN once in Australia, and not in advance.)
https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-file-number/

thanks again