Office politics

Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:21 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Office politics

The stereotype of an Aussie is tough, straight-talking, giving everyone a fair go right? Forget it! I can't believe the games grown men are playing at our place. Its like an American teen movie in my office there is so much bitching.

I came into a new job in a new company in a new country and determined to impress / build a reputation I work hard and have made a real difference. But the blokes I work for are either trying to claim credit for my achievements or are bitching about me behind my back. I think the next two up the line are threatened because I have made them look ineffective.

When I talked to my boss' boss tonight for some advice he implied that by impressing so much I had make him look stupid so I should look elsewhere.

His boss (General Manager, 3 up the line) is South African and thinks I am doing a great job, BTW.

I enjoyed getting that off my chest but mostly I wanted to prepare anyone coming out for what these whinging Aussies are like. You only have to read the paper about the boss vs union stuff going on over here to realise that these Aussies behave like spoilt children.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:42 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Office politics

Originally Posted by worzel
The stereotype of an Aussie is tough, straight-talking, giving everyone a fair go right? Forget it! I can't believe the games grown men are playing at our place. Its like an American teen movie in my office there is so much bitching.

I came into a new job in a new company in a new country and determined to impress / build a reputation I work hard and have made a real difference. But the blokes I work for are either trying to claim credit for my achievements or are bitching about me behind my back. I think the next two up the line are threatened because I have made them look ineffective.

When I talked to my boss' boss tonight for some advice he implied that by impressing so much I had make him look stupid so I should look elsewhere.

His boss (General Manager, 3 up the line) is South African and thinks I am doing a great job, BTW.

I enjoyed getting that off my chest but mostly I wanted to prepare anyone coming out for what these whinging Aussies are like. You only have to read the paper about the boss vs union stuff going on over here to realise that these Aussies behave like spoilt children.

I cant believe it Worzel.

Don't let them get you down, because for someone to say that you have made them look stupid, well I reckon they are for not knowing what they should have done in the first place.

What are you going to do?
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:02 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Its horrible working in that sort of enviroment, just be careful and watch your back
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Worzel

If you want to impress Aussies the last thing you want to do is what you have done. A better approach is to show them you're just like them - working hard and getting nowhere for it, etc. The one thing an Aussie can't stand is someone who comes into their lives and shows them all what they've been doing wrong. It's called Tall Poppy Syndrome - look it up.

Best wishes
T.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:52 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing to bear in mind is that this isn't necessarily a "whinging Aussie" thing as you put it.

Every work place has "office politics", insecure people, power structures and power struggles. That's just a "human" thing; doesn't matter whether they are Aussies, Brits, or whatever.

When you start in a new place, it's a good idea to suss out these things first, rather than go in guns blazing.

And most important, try and be friendly, not look like you've come to take over the place.

Gina
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It's great to see that you are being yourself & not doing anything you can to fit in, ie like being more Aussie than the Aussies, unlike a lot of people on this newsgroup. Stand up for yourself, don't stoop to their level. You can be whatever you want to be in this country, not just a wannabe Aussie.

Agree with you about whinging Aussies (no one more whingy basically) & childish unions. It's pathetic to see what's going on on this new railway for instance. Someone really needs to sort those pricks out.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's great to see that you are being yourself & not doing anything you can to fit in, ie like being more Aussie than the Aussies, unlike a lot of people on this newsgroup. Stand up for yourself, don't stoop to their level. You can be whatever you want to be in this country, not just a wannabe Aussie.

Agree with you about whinging Aussies (no one more whingy basically) & childish unions. It's pathetic to see what's going on on this new railway for instance. Someone really needs to sort those pricks out.
Come to think of it I agree. Why make any effort at all to respect the cultural protocols of an adopted land? Just do whatever you want and stuff the traditions and ways of Australia.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:17 pm
Blah Blah Blah

Buttockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tableland
Come to think of it I agree. Why make any effort at all to respect the cultural protocols of an adopted land? Just do whatever you want and stuff the traditions and ways of Australia.
Anyone for a walkabout?
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I think tall poppy sydrome is a bit of a myth. It's more applied to macro rather than micro. Loads of people do well and achieve in Australia daily. In my company they are stamping out mediocre attitudes.

As long as you're a 'good bloke', that's the important thing, you can achieve what you like. Same as in most places. If people like you, you'll go far. I'm pretty average in my job but all my bosses tell me they like me. Seems to count for a lot.

The Unions, well now, that's different.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

NO Aussies aren't like spoilt children, you have just been lucky in your working life that this hasn't happened before. Where did you get your original opinion from?

People are people wherever you are in the world. If you don't like it, go back home, simple. (harsh though, sorry about that!)
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Was also going to say that the only 'office culture' I have ever found was in public service jobs where people get promoted by perceived longetivity, hard work etc. This is partly because the skills are less, but the experience and perceived valued added amounts to more. The last time I worked in the public sector was 9 years ago and I hated it because frankly people were plain ignorant - this was in the local job centre in London! 99pc of them were chain smokers, almost seemed on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Quite breathtaking and I was exit stage left after a month in to the private sector.

In my profession, its all skills based and people are happy to earn 6 figure salaries sitting quietly in the corner. You do the work, you get paid, leave the politics to the managers. Most of the companies I've worked in the last 10 years, they work to protect you and motivate you anyhow. I can't even remember the last time I saw any office politics effect staff directly on the floor.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
NO Aussies aren't like spoilt children, you have just been lucky in your working life that this hasn't happened before. Where did you get your original opinion from?

People are people wherever you are in the world. If you don't like it, go back home, simple. (harsh though, sorry about that!)
Whilst true this could happen anywhere in the world, the OP is entitled to say what he feels he is a resident and pays his taxes after all.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:50 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
In my profession, its all skills based and people are happy to earn 6 figure salaries sitting quietly in the corner. You do the work, you get paid, leave the politics to the managers. Most of the companies I've worked in the last 10 years, they work to protect you and motivate you anyhow. I can't even remember the last time I saw any office politics effect staff directly on the floor.
Well said. I'm a 'knowledge' based contractor. We do our job, get paid good candy, go home. Repeat the next day. Simple as. I have no time for office politics. One of the best things about contracting is that you don't get involved in this shit.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Well said. I'm a 'knowledge' based contractor. We do our job, get paid good candy, go home. Repeat the next day. Simple as. I have no time for office politics. One of the best things about contracting is that you don't get involved in this shit.
I'm not a contractor now but I also don't get involved. I start early, leave early. I get more done before people show up. About the only politics is the entertaining kind. Ie. Director x has reshuffled Senior Mgr y who has brought in Line Manager z. 'We welcome him, show him the money'. Cool. Fine by me.

I've done less overtime here than in Europe that's for sure. Alot less.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:55 pm
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough

I agree.. this is similiar to what Si is experiencing ( although his bosses think hes the best thing since sliced bread.. some workers have a real problem) I cant believe some of the stories he tells me.

I gotta laugh tho, his company have a "councillor & massage therapist" free once a week.. I mean how stressed out can you be in bloody Adelaide

Karen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.