Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Offer on House - Too low though! Decisions..

Wikiposts

Offer on House - Too low though! Decisions..

Old Aug 4th 2005, 3:24 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Offer on House - Too low though! Decisions..

Originally Posted by The Crow
Just had an offer on our house £20K lower than the asking price (£194,950). It's been on the market for 6 weeks and have had a fair few viewings, but most have been put off by our steeply terraced garden

We have gone back with £188K but no lower - but it's a Catch 22. We want a minimum of £180K so wanted £185K to allow for possible deductions following the survey. However, if we don't get another offer during the next couple of months, we will probably have to do a validation trip which will cost circa £4K....

Are we stupid - should be settle for lower - or stick to our guns!!

Any thoughts appreciated before my brain boils....
Only you can decide! I personally would haggle for a while then accept their offer.
Hopefully it won't take very long to sort out then, says she who has been waiting..... for ever to complete.
Good luck
Sarah
Old Aug 4th 2005, 5:56 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

I personally wouldn't accept it - it hasn't been on the market that long and if they are not willing to negociate nearer to the asking price then I'd leave it at that.
Our house is on the market and we waited till we got the visas. However we have decided to do a validation trip/holiday so as to take the pressure of the house selling business. Hopefully now we can sit tight and wait for the buyer who is willing to pay reasonably near the asking price to come along - though if I 'm in the same position in 6 months time I may be shouting TAKE IT
Good luck with the selling.
Gillian
Old Aug 4th 2005, 7:37 am
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sme
I personally wouldn't accept it - it hasn't been on the market that long and if they are not willing to negociate nearer to the asking price then I'd leave it at that.
Our house is on the market and we waited till we got the visas. However we have decided to do a validation trip/holiday so as to take the pressure of the house selling business. Hopefully now we can sit tight and wait for the buyer who is willing to pay reasonably near the asking price to come along - though if I 'm in the same position in 6 months time I may be shouting TAKE IT
Good luck with the selling.
Gillian

Personally I think that any seller who refuses a 10% drop off the asking price is insane.

Why? Well houses are at least 30/40% overvalued, the traditional wage to house price ration is now 1/6 whereas the traditional measure was 1/3. The economy is slowing rapidly as Browns economic "miracle" is being rumbled for the debt addicted mirage it is. For every £100 earnt the UK public spend £110. In short a recession looks very likely. House prices are stalling and will most certainly drop further against a backgroung of rising unemployment and international caution investing in the UK with its failing economy.

Basically the peak of house prices has been and gone and as a potential buyer myself, I consider 10% off todays ridiculous prices as unrealistic, a minimum of 30% off would be sensible. I certainly would not entertain the idea of buying at the peak of a housing stock bubble with a paulty 10% knocked off. I honesly think you shold take the offer, as I believe that in 6 months to a year you will kick yourself for refusing it.

Remember house prices are driven by sentiment, in the dodgy economic conditions that Browns disaterous policies are to evoke, high unemployment, high inflation and mass house repos, that no one buys houses in such a hostilre climate.

I honestly wish you good luck.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 7:58 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Offer on House - Too low though! Decisions..

Must admit I am sick and tired of people assuming that sellers are over pricing their houses.

We put ours on the market based on two out of three valuations that came up with the same price AND in addition our own research on the local housing market.

Yes, we were extremely lucky in getting an offer £5K below asking price within a few days, which we negotiated up to full asking price.

Why do people always assume that everyone picks a number, then adds another 30% on top?
Old Aug 4th 2005, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Personally I think that any seller who refuses a 10% drop off the asking price is insane.

Why? Well houses are at least 30/40% overvalued, the traditional wage to house price ration is now 1/6 whereas the traditional measure was 1/3. The economy is slowing rapidly as Browns economic "miracle" is being rumbled for the debt addicted mirage it is. For every £100 earnt the UK public spend £110. In short a recession looks very likely. House prices are stalling and will most certainly drop further against a backgroung of rising unemployment and international caution investing in the UK with its failing economy.

Basically the peak of house prices has been and gone and as a potential buyer myself, I consider 10% off todays ridiculous prices as unrealistic, a minimum of 30% off would be sensible. I certainly would not entertain the idea of buying at the peak of a housing stock bubble with a paulty 10% knocked off. I honesly think you shold take the offer, as I believe that in 6 months to a year you will kick yourself for refusing it.

Remember house prices are driven by sentiment, in the dodgy economic conditions that Browns disaterous policies are to evoke, high unemployment, high inflation and mass house repos, that no one buys houses in such a hostilre climate.

I honestly wish you good luck.
Thanks - I was a bit worried when I saw that you had replied :scared: but you are quite right in many ways I have another estate agent coming round tomorrow AM and if they value under our original valuation then we will consider the offer. I think our current estate agent was rather optimistic - let me just pour another glass of wine
Old Aug 4th 2005, 8:07 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Must admit I am sick and tired of people assuming that sellers are over pricing their houses.

We put ours on the market based on two out of three valuations that came up with the same price AND in addition our own research on the local housing market.

Yes, we were extremely lucky in getting an offer £5K below asking price within a few days, which we negotiated up to full asking price.

Why do people always assume that everyone picks a number, then adds another 30% on top?

we too had 3 estate agents round, and 2 out of the 3 said the same value, which we then put the house on the market at. the 3rd, after chasing us for our business also said that if we weren't in a rush, then he would aslo put the house up at that price. also, the rest of the similar houses round here are all selling at roughly the same. so i agree with bridie, look at the amrket round you and get a few agents in to get an overall picture.

this has been thrashed out b4, with plenty of trolls coming onto the thread and trying to imply that ALL houses are massively overpriced

so, would you drop your house price by 30% to sell - mmm, dont think so
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:03 am
isv
Forum Regular

isv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the replies - that's helped - a bit green to this house-selling lark
Just found out that the buyers are unlikely to budge - so they can budge off for now
We have another estate agent coming round tomorrow AM - and if they suggest a lower value we might have to reconsider at some point. Our house is very difficult to put a price on - there is nothing comparable in the area. Chalet bungalow with 3 double beds, silly but lovely terraced garden and fabulous views - so a tricky one - tends to attract arthritic pensioners - not ideal for the garden :scared:
Oh, it's a fun game. Wish we'd put it on the market at an earlier stage (we were sensible and waited for our PR's to come through!).
It might be too late.. but if I were you I would have snatched the offer and run like crazy. We sold in June after waiting 12 months for a single offer... and I had to 'drop' £45k to keep the chain together. We're off to NZ and we could not afford to lose the oppty to use our visa.

Truely the market has changed... and there is no way you will get today the price you would have achieved in Spring 2004 - I reckon we were a month late... a little sooner and I think we might have sold sooner and for more.

Proceedable buyers are like hens' teeth right now. Seriously I would reconsider. Sorry.

Alan.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:49 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Nicstids
This is weird. We've had an offer £22k under the asking price today as well! We've had the house up for sale for 4 months now - had an offer of £260k very quickly from the 2nd viewer but he decided that he wasn't going to get enough money from his divorce so he pulled out. We've reduced the price to £249,950 and the latest people who are first time buyers have offered £228k. It's such a dilemma isn't it? We will definitely be going in January, house sale or not, as I have a job to go to. We don't need the money to be able to go, but I can't help thinking that the house is going to look very sad being empty and that we will probably get less for it. Also we couldn't afford to pay the mortgage as well as rent in Aus for too long.

Same boat as you as there isn't really anything comparable to our house. It's a 4 bed detached with a double garage and you can't get anything like that for under £250k in our area. But we are next to a busy road junction which has definitely put off a couple of viewers already
It seems these guys are just knocking 10 percent off your asking price. I used to think 5% was a fairly big discount. My best mate was in similar situation recently and asked me for advice....

My thoughts ( for what it's worth, just one more opinion i guess) are if the resultant monies enables you to move to the next step of your life then go for it, if it does not then wait....

Does that help anyone?
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by baconmaster
some reports say house prices in melbourne are due to fall by up to 10%, due to pexpected intersted rate rises, we are sticking our equity in the bank to earn interest while house prices tumble so its a win win situation - hopefully. or it'll be a camper van to live in the rest of our lives,
It's hard to actually gauge, most 'experts' says that the housing market in Melbourne is overvalued by 16% and some say that for various reasons the market isn't overvalued (salary increases etc - can't speak for everyone by I certainly didn't get a 16% increase this year...). The prices are dropping but slowly, a lot slower than I anticipated but I don't think you can go wrong with waiting, the prices definitely aren't going to go up. I have a good mind to start looking for a place but offer 16% lower than the asking price

Last edited by Shellfish; Aug 4th 2005 at 2:26 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:23 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

We should look at what we have made rather than the fantasy amount than we 'lose'. A house is worth what someone will pay. We dropped the price of ours before moving. It allowed us to get on with things and still we made a very good profit. Some people now end up selling for less than the 'too low' offer they got initially due to a depreciating market.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:55 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Its not the sellers who over value a property its the estate agents.
A good friend of mine, who I worked with in the UK, has a sister who is an estate agent in my old town (medium sized town on the outskirts of Nottingham) who was very honest with me when telling me that most if not all the estate agents who I had value the property would build in a buffer of 10-20% on top of what the property is actually worth (to absorb a low bid and still make some profit). She said it was common practice and a sort of unwritten rule between the agents in my town. This did not surprise me one bit and im sure it happens in other, maybe most, areas of the UK.

TT

Old Aug 4th 2005, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

i would take it!

we dropped 10 % off of our asking price - at the end of the day we weighed up which was more important - a new life or more money -
we had made a profit ( like most people) we could never be sure that we would have another offer in that region & we were impatient to start our new life!!!
looking back i wouldnt have changed it - it is all so stressfull enough as it is - the sooner you move on the better

just my opinion but there u go

pootle 26
Old Aug 4th 2005, 5:58 pm
SunnySideDownUnder

Just had an offer on our house £20K lower than the asking price (£194,950). It's been on the market for 6 weeks and have had a fair few viewings, but most have been put off by our steeply terraced garden

We have gone back with £188K but no lower - but it's a Catch 22. We want a minimum of £180K so wanted £185K to allow for possible deductions following the survey. However, if we don't get another offer during the next couple of months, we will probably have to do a validation trip which will cost circa £4K....

Are we stupid - should be settle for lower - or stick to our guns!!

Any thoughts appreciated before my brain boils....

Keep in mind one thing - real estate prices world wide are on the way down (on average, obviously there are sectors that are holding steady)

Old Aug 4th 2005, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I would also take a look at www.nethouseprices.com who show the land registry data for houses that have sold. Unlike some others they don't ask you to register or limit the number of daily searches.

Houses in our area stood still for a long time but things are picking up now, ones that are priced realistically (i.e. what others have sold for in the past) are selling at asking price or maybe 1% below, those who added 10% to the previous selling prices to make their asking price with the expectation of being knocked down 10% are finding they are getting nowhere until the reduce their prices then they get what they expected anyway.

At the moment buyers and seller all seem to be playing psychological games which is just achieving frustration everywhere.

I would be tempted to see if you can get the offer up further since you haven't been on the market very long.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 3:09 pm
Badge

I suppose houses *are* overpriced - to the point where they will just sell - the purpose, of course, is to maximise gain. However that maximum is turning out to be plain wrong as the market is going down. Estate agents value partly based on other sales - but of course, as they are on the decline, they also follow the price down.

it is a buyer's market not a seller's market, and there are some economic indications which indicate houses are overpriced. Not the vendor's fault of course.

badge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.