Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Offer on House - Too low though! Decisions..

Offer on House - Too low though! Decisions..

Old Aug 6th 2005, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offer on House - Too low though! Decisions..

Thanks for all your advice and thoughts! It really does help to focus the mind! However, I have a sneaky feeling that this low offer was not serious. We only have a couple of weeks left with this agent (and will be changing asap - generally crap service). It was only the admin there (sorry admins - I'm one anyway) who was negotiating - never even got a call from the estate agent himself. You would have thought he would be keen to try and barter us down more or them up. I am slightly suspicious
I will be calling him on Monday to see if I can gain anymore insight - or maybe ask these supposed buyers to come round again when I'm in!!!
Old Aug 6th 2005, 2:52 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Crow
Thanks for all the replies - that's helped - a bit green to this house-selling lark
Just found out that the buyers are unlikely to budge - so they can budge off for now
We have another estate agent coming round tomorrow AM - and if they suggest a lower value we might have to reconsider at some point. Our house is very difficult to put a price on - there is nothing comparable in the area. Chalet bungalow with 3 double beds, silly but lovely terraced garden and fabulous views - so a tricky one - tends to attract arthritic pensioners - not ideal for the garden :scared:
Oh, it's a fun game. Wish we'd put it on the market at an earlier stage (we were sensible and waited for our PR's to come through!).
Being very nosey, what part of Bristol are you living in?
Old Aug 6th 2005, 5:12 pm
blossom

Originally Posted by Olive101
Exactly the same position as us - even the figures the same.

We took the £20k hit - it's upsetting but you have to accept that the market sets the price not the vendors or the estate agents.

I won't bore you with details of our saga suffice to say that a year on - we would give another £20k like a shot if we thought it would get us out to Oz any sooner.

Good luck with it all.
Wish we could get an offer £20k below asking price ! Just want an offer !!!!

Old Aug 6th 2005, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blossom
Wish we could get an offer £20k below asking price ! Just want an offer !!!!

I know the feeling Blossom. Although I've already dropped the price by over £10k I would give it serious consideration.

In fact, if they were in a position to proceed quickly I think I'd grab it with both hands

Tracey
Old Aug 6th 2005, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Garland is on a distinguished road

We are in Bristol too. We had an offer £30.000!!! below asking price..we told them to buggar off! but then thought well if they are proceedable maybe we should weigh up the pro's and con's of accepting a low offer. So we did a U-turn and accepted it..with that they said fine but only if we dropped another £10,000 more!! We did draw the line there but would seriously consider "sensible" offers albeit £20,000 below asking price.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:01 pm
blossom

Originally Posted by tracey.d
I know the feeling Blossom. Although I've already dropped the price by over £10k I would give it serious consideration.

In fact, if they were in a position to proceed quickly I think I'd grab it with both hands

Tracey
We've dropped £15K, and spent more money on the place, decorating and new boiler etc etc. Plan to do a bit more to the place over the next few months if it still doesn't sell, after that goodness knows what we'll end up doing. Like my signature line says - fed up of feeling in limbo!

Blossom

Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:13 pm
FAMILY MEMBER

paula elliott has a spectacular aura aboutpaula elliott has a spectacular aura aboutpaula elliott has a spectacular aura about

Hi
Our home was up for £205,000 and we were offered £190,000. Managed to get them up to £194,000. We excepted as they were first time buyers, no chain and already had a mortgage agreed. At the end of the day you can wait for more money and spend that amount on mortgage payments waiting. What position are the buyers in?
How much are your monthly mortgage payments, insurances, council tax, water rates, bills, tv licence etc costing you?
We worked ours out at over £1000 a month. So we decided a lower offer was worth excepting.
Good luck.
remember what ever you chose to do, decide that it is the best option for you and don't look back.
paula
Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

We've dropped £15K, and spent more money on the place, decorating and new boiler etc etc. Plan to do a bit more to the place over the next few months if it still doesn't sell, after that goodness knows what we'll end up doing. Like my signature line says - fed up of feeling in limbo!

Blossom

You sound just like me. I had a boiler fitted last week and now am in the process of re-decorating virtually the whole of the house. The stumbling block seems to be getting hold of somebody to do the few odd jobs I can't do myself

I'm getting a couple of new carpets fitted on Monday as well. Redone the garden etc. Had a newe integrated dishwasher installed since christmas. There's not much more I can do to it to be honest.

Just need to get some viewers.

Tracey
Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:19 pm
blossom

You sound just like me. I had a boiler fitted last week and now am in the process of re-decorating virtually the whole of the house. The stumbling block seems to be getting hold of somebody to do the few odd jobs I can't do myself

I'm getting a couple of new carpets fitted on Monday as well. Redone the garden etc. Had a newe integrated dishwasher installed since christmas. There's not much more I can do to it to be honest.

Just need to get some viewers.

Tracey
OMG, we had to put in a new dishwasher too as the last one packed in on us about 2 months ago !!

Good luck Tracey, not a nice club to be in, but there appears to be more members that we ever thought possible!!

Sending you some Karma.

Blossom

Old Aug 6th 2005, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

OMG, we had to put in a new dishwasher too as the last one packed in on us about 2 months ago !!

Good luck Tracey, not a nice club to be in, but there appears to be more members that we ever thought possible!!

Sending you some Karma.

Blossom

Thanks for that, tried to return but it wont let me

By the way, I think you'd better keep an eye on your oven door because mine looks as if it's about to fall off :scared:
Old Aug 7th 2005, 3:41 pm
blossom

Thanks for that, tried to return but it wont let me

By the way, I think you'd better keep an eye on your oven door because mine looks as if it's about to fall off :scared:

PMSL ! Hubby does most of the cooking at the moment, so don't venture near the oven door, however, we did replace the oven last year so hopefully it will last us out !!

Watch your plumbing - my downstairs loo has now developed a bloody leak and now I have to replace the bloody floor covering - its in my utility room which is quite large, so not a quick DIY jobby!

Blossom

Old Aug 7th 2005, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

PMSL ! Hubby does most of the cooking at the moment, so don't venture near the oven door, however, we did replace the oven last year so hopefully it will last us out !!

Watch your plumbing - my downstairs loo has now developed a bloody leak and now I have to replace the bloody floor covering - its in my utility room which is quite large, so not a quick DIY jobby!

Blossom

Lol, my utility roofs sprung a leak but I have somebody on the case with that.
Does everthing wait until you put your house up for sale and then decide to pack up

Tracey
Old Aug 7th 2005, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Being very nosey, what part of Bristol are you living in?
Hi there
We're in Hanham.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, with lots of deliberation and haggling - we've managed to get the prospective buyer to inch up to £177,500 AND got the estate agent to drop their fee by 50%!! Now that makes me feel better So, now the offer is only circa £1.5K below our minimum expectation.

Let's hope this is a serious buyer and not a fictitious one (as other estate agents are trying to lead me to believe) as a ploy to stay with our agent

Finger's crossed we could be out by the end of the year, or just after Christmas - I'll try not to get too excited just yet. However, I'm sure it calls for a bottle or two