British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Off to the UK... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/off-uk-118813/)

dotty Nov 24th 2002 9:58 am

Off to the UK...

Heading off next week for a lovely Xmas with the family. Have done a house swap with friends of friends in Sussex. We are madly looking forward to freezing weather, sleeping in on grey mornings, popping out with just a coat instead of sun protection routines, wearing proper clothes instead of shorts, shops, proper shops, long walks in the country followed by hot tea and sticky buns. Theatres, arts, culture, the wonderful friendly pommie people who always make us laugh with their Ohs and Ahs how wonderful OZ must be. Day trips to France, driving two hours and not looking at the same dead countryside, living it up with all the things we so horribly miss here. Business dictates we will be back in January, but my daughter leaves permanently, staying in the UK to teach. Heres hoping our Uk guests survive our house and the usual 40 degree Xmas and the odd snake dropping out of our trees. Happy Xmas to you all, wherever you be.

Alan Collett Nov 24th 2002 11:55 am

Re: Off to the UK...

Have a safe journey Dotty and enjoy ... I feel pangs of recognition reading your email, but ultimately rather you than me!

Best regards and a Happy Xmas (is it really only a month tomorrow?).

Originally posted by dotty
Heading off next week for a lovely Xmas with the family. Have done a house swap with friends of friends in Sussex. We are madly looking forward to freezing weather, sleeping in on grey mornings, popping out with just a coat instead of sun protection routines, wearing proper clothes instead of shorts, shops, proper shops, long walks in the country followed by hot tea and sticky buns. Theatres, arts, culture, the wonderful friendly pommie people who always make us laugh with their Ohs and Ahs how wonderful OZ must be. Day trips to France, driving two hours and not looking at the same dead countryside, living it up with all the things we so horribly miss here. Business dictates we will be back in January, but my daughter leaves permanently, staying in the UK to teach. Heres hoping our Uk guests survive our house and the usual 40 degree Xmas and the odd snake dropping out of our trees. Happy Xmas to you all, wherever you be.

Kath Nov 24th 2002 12:03 pm

Have a great trip and cold Christmas. This is our first Christmas in Australia and I must admit it's very strange with all this warm weather - not sure I will ever get used to it.

springflower Nov 24th 2002 12:11 pm

Originally posted by Kath
Have a great trip and cold Christmas. This is our first Christmas in Australia and I must admit it's very strange with all this warm weather - not sure I will ever get used to it.

Funny you should say that because I'm just chatting with my mum who is in australia about xmas and she just said that shes never got used to it being warm at xmas and shes been there since 1980. But she does rub it in on xmas day when they are beside the pool having the bbq :-)

All the best
Jan:)

Ceri Nov 24th 2002 12:14 pm

Have a Good Christmas Dotty.
I wish it was me heading back to the UK for christmas.... don't eat too much ! Ah to walk around a British supermarket :)... To feel the cold sea breeze, to feel home...

Merry Christmas to you... have fun

peewee13 Nov 24th 2002 12:29 pm

Have a wonderful time BUT if I had to live somewhere that I disliked as much as you seem to dislike Australia, then I would move, no matter what. Business is no excuse, it's more important to be happy.

colind Nov 25th 2002 5:35 am

Have a safe trip and enjoy your Christmas, dotty. We're spending it in Brisbane with my wife's family (mad!?!). Although saying that, it's been 40 degrees in Sydney today so getting acclimatised...

Say g'day to the UK for us all.

Col

tinaj Nov 25th 2002 5:52 pm

Hope you are looking forwrd to the rain - it has rained every day for at least 3 weeks.
P.s don't set any fires off- the firemen are still on strike!
Lets hope you are still so positive after you have spent a few weeks here.

Tina

cinderella Nov 25th 2002 8:47 pm

Originally posted by Ceri
Have a Good Christmas Dotty.
I wish it was me heading back to the UK for christmas.... don't eat too much ! Ah to walk around a British supermarket :)... To feel the cold sea breeze, to feel home...

Merry Christmas to you... have fun

Hi there Cheri,

You don't really fancy the madness in Tesco's do you at this time of year?

& Dotty I hope you enjoy your holiday. You may find the old saying that ' the grass is always greener on the otherside of the fence' is true !

Regards,

Cinderella

cinderella Nov 25th 2002 8:48 pm

Apologies Ceri,

Spelt your name wrong.

Sorry,

Cinderella

Herman Nov 25th 2002 9:21 pm

My wife and I are very jealous. We went to up into the Blue Mountains the other weekend and on the Saturday it was 13 degrees c and cloudy/drizzly. We could barely contain our smiles - lovely!

Have a great christmas and when you see that Turkey in the oven, think about all us poor poms out here cooking the Aussie sun.

Ceri Nov 26th 2002 1:14 am

Originally posted by cinderella
Hi there Cheri,

You don't really fancy the madness in Tesco's do you at this time of year?

& Dotty I hope you enjoy your holiday. You may find the old saying that ' the grass is always greener on the otherside of the fence' is true !

Regards,

Cinderella

It's not the shop... but all the lovely food in the shop :D.. how I long for some British food... Oh well I'll have to brave the madness of Brisbane. queuing for seafood, extravagant prices... they always put the prices up at Christmas on the seafood here. Fighting my way to the bottle shop :D, fighting the hoards of shoppers in the city... ahh humbug! I hate Christmas.

:)

dotty Nov 26th 2002 3:46 am

Thanks for all the good wishes. Most of my pommie friends would kill to join me but the 10 grand of airfares for a family stops most of them. I hope it rains, snows, gales whatever, it will be better than the smoke fuelled air and 44 degree temps of last summer and its ravaging bushfires. I wonder it it will be hot enough this year to actually cook the Turkey without putting it in the Oven again. Ho Ho HO 6 more sleeps to go..........

pommiesheila Nov 26th 2002 5:39 am

Dotty,
I thought you lived in Brisbane - yes? Your comment about driving 2 hours not looking at the same dead countryside - how can you say this? For me, one of the (few) benefits of being here is the fantastic scenery - both coast and countryside - all within 2 hours drive - last weekend we drove down to Tweed Heads - beautiful river estuary, fantastic rocky outcrops, out of this world beach, mountains in the distance, Currumbin valley etc. etc. A couple of weeks ago we drove northwards to the Sunshine Coast - Noosa (the quiet bits) - again fantastic - the Glass House Mountains, etc. etc. all bathed in beautiful sunlight.

don't get me wrong, I think the Aussie people SUCK big time - my view is FANTASTIC COUNTRY - SHAME ABOUT ITS INHABITANTS!!!

pommie bastard Nov 26th 2002 6:21 am

Originally posted by tinaj
Hope you are looking forwrd to the rain - it has rained every day for at least 3 weeks.
P.s don't set any fires off- the firemen are still on strike!
Lets hope you are still so positive after you have spent a few weeks here.

Tina

Whinge , whinge do you believe in Christmas ? at lest give Dotty good wishes its seasonal even for sad sods like you.
Australia is crying out for rain half the countryside has died because of the lack of it , thank your lucky stars that the UK has lots to spare.
Anyway have a good one Dotty give the Old Dart my reguards, do not forget 3pm Christmas day Bettys on once a year.
Best Wishes PB
:D :cool: :beer: