Reload this Page >

Off to Sydney Sooon.....

Off to Sydney Sooon.....

Old Feb 19th 2004, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

sydneybound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I photocopy my VISA ?

Hello All,

It's been a while since I've been on the forum, tis getting close now to my departure tho and I've still got a few things to sort out !

Being an adventurous sort, I'm going to get from the UK to Sydney via; China -> HongKong -> Vietnam -> Cambodia ->Thailand... should be one hell of an adventure ! I've gotta be in Oz before the 24th June, so I will have about 8 weeks to do this trip.

The only thing I'm really worried about is losing / having my passport stolen....

So, my question is, is it a sensible precaution taking a photocopy of my Passport / Australian VISA ? Or will this really make no difference ? Does the ACTUAL Australian visa that is nicely stapled in my wallet have to be presented or is it all linked up on the computers behind the scenes like the ETA is ??

Thanks for any help,

R

Last edited by sydneybound; Feb 19th 2004 at 12:59 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 12:33 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off to Sydney Sooon.....

When I did a RTW trip a few years back, I always carried my passport with me using one of those pouches that goes under clothing. It was suppose to hang round your neck but I wore it round my waist as I felt it was hidden more.

Have a wonderful journey to Sydney.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 8:42 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I photocopy my VISA ?

Originally posted by sydneybound
Hello All,

It's been a while since I've been on the forum, tis getting close now to my departure tho and I've still got a few things to sort out !

Being an adventurous sort, I'm going to get from the UK to Sydney via; China -> HongKong -> Vietnam -> Cambodia ->Thailand... should be one hell of an adventure ! I've gotta be in Oz before the 24th June, so I will have about 8 weeks to do this trip.

The only thing I'm really worried about is losing / having my passport stolen....

So, my question is, is it a sensible precaution taking a photocopy of my Passport / Australian VISA ? Or will this really make no difference ? Does the ACTUAL Australian visa that is nicely stapled in my wallet have to be presented or is it all linked up on the computers behind the scenes like the ETA is ??

Thanks for any help,

R
What an amazing trip you have planned. If I were you I would get a few photocopies. Leave one with someone you trust in the UK, take one with you and if you have a Sydney contact, fax a copy there.

If you do lose your passport you will have to obtain a new one from your nearest British diplomatic mission. Do not expect sympathy as they will suspect you of having sold it to fund your travels. You will also have to inform DIMIA via the nearest Australian mission and they will have to update the DIMIA computers to reflect your new travel document nos.

A copy of the birth certificate will also help.

All the best and have a great trip.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

sydneybound is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info,

I was gonna scan in all the documents (inc birth cert) and save into my email account, that way if i need to access them all i need do is goto an internet cafe and get a print out, what do ya recon ?