Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Off to Perth in January

Off to Perth in January

Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Off to Perth in January

...and started to get jitters!

My Australian wife and me are going to be moving out to Perth in January and I have all sorts of concerns flying about in my head.

I know I am going to miss the UK badly, along with my family.

I love the green countryside, cooler climate etc etc. But this isn't my only worry. I think the biggest thing is finding work and somewhere to live.

For the first couple of months we'll be staying with the in-laws in Augusta down on the SW tip of Australia, so that's fine. But after that we're hoping to move to Perth itself, but the property prices seem insane at the moment. Especially when compared the relative lower average salary.

I don't have a particular skill, with my current job being a customer-services manager for an internet based company. I have a few basic skills in various graphic packages but worry I'll struggle with work.

Hmmm not sure why I'm typing this! Maybe hoping for people who have experienced similar worries to reply and let me know how they got on.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:44 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Off to Perth in January

QUOTE]

House sale looming, same fears.

Still going for it, despite financial security here, it's still garbage, so give it a try.

All the best, the real realties do hit you at the nitty gritty stage.

Dave
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

I seriously wish we were on the property ladder over here so we could sell etc, but we've rented all the time we've been together.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

If you dont go you'll never know if its right for you or not - if its not you can come back, cant you ???
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by midwife2be
If you dont go you'll never know if its right for you or not - if its not you can come back, cant you ???
I completely agree with this. If you don't go you will always wonder what might have been.

Good luck.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield (UK) -> Kitchener (Canada) -> Perth (Aus)
DimWit17 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are going to Perth in Dec 07 or Jan 08. We are similar to you, not sure if we are making the right decision. We dont have much equity in our house over here and getting on the ladder will take us years and I'm hoping the real estate prices stabilise over the coming years.

I guess I know the saying "till you dont try, you'll never know..."