Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Off peak Electricity Periods

Off peak Electricity Periods

Old May 29th 2010, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off peak Electricity Periods

As I put my third wash on this morning, it crossed my mind when exactly is the off-peak Electricity period? Night time? Checked Energy Australia website but can't find any information, quelle surprise
Old May 30th 2010, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off peak Electricity Periods

check here
Code:
http://www.energyaustralia.com.au/State/NSW/Business/Small-and-medium-business/Business-products-and-services/Electricity/LoadSmart-time-based-pricing/LoadSmart-rates.aspx
or
Code:
http://www.energyaustralia.com.au/State/NSW/Business/Small-and-medium-business/Business-products-and-services/Electricity/PowerSmart-time-based-pricing/PowerSmart-rates.aspx
Old May 30th 2010, 2:18 am
ABCDiamond

I just saw this on the energy electricity web site

Most people are currently paying the same rate for electricity no matter what time of the day they use it (except for customers with existing Off Peak 1 and Off Peak 2 rate which are usually for hot water).
But PowerSmart Home rates, if you have selected this, are:

Shoulder 14.0800 cents/kWh
7am to 2pm & 8pm to 10pm working weekdays
and
7am to 10pm on weekends and public holidays

Peak 35.6400 cents/kWh
2pm to 8pm on working weekdays

Off-Peak 8.1400 cents/kWh
10pm to 7am every day
Here in QLD, we pay the same rate all day, but have a separate off peak set up for Hot water and pool pump usage.

Old May 30th 2010, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold

I like tea;8598851]Here in QLD, we pay the same rate all day, but have a separate off peak set up for Hot water and pool pump usage.

Just a question - To avail yourself of the off peak tariff for the pool and hot water do they have to be on a different power source/ power box ?

I was told by an energex electrician that my hot water, washing machine, dryer and pool pump should be on off peak rate to get a lower tariff rate. But he totally lost me when he tried to explain how this was achieved as he was standing in front of my power box at the time and it all got very technical !
Thanks
Old May 30th 2010, 7:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by I like tea
Just a question - To avail yourself of the off peak tariff for the pool and hot water do they have to be on a different power source/ power box ?

I was told by an energex electrician that my hot water, washing machine, dryer and pool pump should be on off peak rate to get a lower tariff rate. But he totally lost me when he tried to explain how this was achieved as he was standing in front of my power box at the time and it all got very technical !
Thanks
We have two meters in the meter box, one for the normal power, and the other for the off peak supply wired to the hot water and pool pump.

I suppose we could have the washing machine and dryer on that aswell. The 'off peak' cuts off for about 6 hours daily from about 5pm, so that would mean no clothes washing between 5pm and 11pm approx.

Old May 30th 2010, 8:48 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
We have two meters in the meter box, one for the normal power, and the other for the off peak supply wired to the hot water and pool pump.

I suppose we could have the washing machine and dryer on that aswell. The 'off peak' cuts off for about 6 hours daily from about 5pm, so that would mean no clothes washing between 5pm and 11pm approx.
there are three tarrifs normal & off peak as mentioned and then a sort of in between one that i think works for 18hrs a day
never used it myself but i know a sparkie that conected his ac onto it via a drop out relay so he could use either normal or lets call it middle peak rate

http://www.originenergy.com.au/2087/...ty-tariffs-QLD
Old May 30th 2010, 11:28 am
ABCDiamond

The two main options, that I consider, are the Tariff 11; the normal one at 18.8 c kWh, for normal power supplies, and the Tariff 33; the one that is for 18+ hours a day, at 11.3 c kWh.

The third option, Tariff 31, being only available for 8+ hours a night, was one that I considered, but decided it wasn't worth the hassle, even though it only costs 7.7 c kWh.

Old May 31st 2010, 1:44 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

The two main options, that I consider, are the Tariff 11; the normal one at 18.8 c kWh, for normal power supplies, and the Tariff 33; the one that is for 18+ hours a day, at 11.3 c kWh.

The third option, Tariff 31, being only available for 8+ hours a night, was one that I considered, but decided it wasn't worth the hassle, even though it only costs 7.7 c kWh.
T11 for the quarter - $480

T31 for the quarter - $53

So $53 for 4 x showers / bath / spa baths per day & at least 1 dishwasher run daily isn't bad at all ...
Old May 31st 2010, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmn, will have to investigate this further
Old May 31st 2010, 7:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
T11 for the quarter - $480

T31 for the quarter - $53

So $53 for 4 x showers / bath / spa baths per day & at least 1 dishwasher run daily isn't bad at all ...
T11 $304.47 for the qtr
T33 $67.68 for the qtr

T33 runs the hot water and the pool, filter and heater, pumps.
Only 3 of us, but my 14 yr old makes for another 10 with her showers (and for those who think I am exaggerating ... I am not )

Old May 31st 2010, 8:26 am
Account Closed

T11 $304.47 for the qtr
T33 $67.68 for the qtr

T33 runs the hot water and the pool, filter and heater, pumps.
Only 3 of us, but my 14 yr old makes for another 10 with her showers (and for those who think I am exaggerating ... I am not )
Yeah Energex guy was telling me about T33 and connecting the pool pump and stuff, but you CANNOT get T31 & T33 it's one or the other and we quite like our hot water at 7 odd cents per kw ...
Old May 31st 2010, 10:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Yeah Energex guy was telling me about T33 and connecting the pool pump and stuff, but you CANNOT get T31 & T33 it's one or the other and we quite like our hot water at 7 odd cents per kw ...
I had a heat pump hot water unit fitted in March 2009.
Our T33 consumption changed from:

12kWh per day Feb 09
7 kWh per day Feb 10

Almost a 50% saving

Before we had the Pool put in, our T33 usage was about 7kWh a day, so it seems that the 2 Pool pumps cost us 5kWh per day, and hot water 2kWh per day (with the heat pump system)

In $ terms (per quarter) that is:
$50 Pool pumps
$20 Hot water

So the Heat Pump is saving us $200 per year, and it cost me $500 (after gov't rebates)

Old May 31st 2010, 10:34 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Hold on - so the 2nd meter/offpeak meter is hardwired to appliances/outlets? Its not the whole house.
So if I put my washing machine on at night I am paying peak rates? And vice versa - if I put my hot water on in the middle of the day its always off peak?
Old May 31st 2010, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mark213
Hold on - so the 2nd meter/offpeak meter is hardwired to appliances/outlets? Its not the whole house.
So if I put my washing machine on at night I am paying peak rates? And vice versa - if I put my hot water on in the middle of the day its always off peak?
Correct! ... well, for my house anyway.

I've recently had probs and they took away my 2 meter's (1 for 'normal' T11 leccy and 1 for T31 'off peak') and left me with one combi unit.

The hot water was hard wired to the T31 meter and the rest of the house wired to the T11 meter.

The T31 'off peak' is only live from 10pm - 6am - 8 hours per day.

It's something that that Energex will install / supply.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 4:06 am
ABCDiamond

Hold on - so the 2nd meter/offpeak meter is hardwired to appliances/outlets?
Yes. Anything wired to that meter will be charged the rate for that, no matter what time of day

So if I put my washing machine on at night I am paying peak rates?
Yes, assuming that is plugged into the normal house sockets, you will be paying the normal rate. It isn't called peak rate in QLD, as it is a 24 hour single rate.

if I put my hot water on in the middle of the day its always off peak?
Yes, assuming that is wired to the off peak meter.

From July 2011, it appears that QLD may be changing, and could well have a peak period the same as some other States. But then who knows... Politicians don't always do what they say they might

Just a thought on using the washing machine with off peak power...
I could run an extension cable from my washing machine to the pool pump unit, and use it that way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.