Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Off the beaten track anyone?

Off the beaten track anyone?

Old Jul 9th 2003, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Off the beaten track anyone?

I am wondering if any immigrants are planning to settle off the beaten track, ie, rural, remote, isolated areas. Anywhere not in the Cities, beach burbs or say 2 hours from a capital city.

Reason I ask is the Oz Gov has already got teachers doing remote service, some police, and now some University courses are looking at coming with a "work in the Outback" clause.

Has any one coming over considered escaping the rat race and heading bush or "out west" as they say in QLD, plenty of jobs, plenty of space, cheap houses, plenty of sun. Any takers?
Old Jul 9th 2003, 3:17 am
The Tooth Fairy

'Conscription' and 'blackmail': doctors' response to bonded service

GERALD TOOTH: The Federal Government wants to get more doctors into regional areas where there are a crippling lack of services. To get them to go where they don't want to, it's offering 234 fully-funded new places at medical schools which will be bonded to government service.

Under the scheme, the graduates are required to spend six years practicing wherever the Government tells them they have to go.

They still have to pay HECS. Under the Government's new higher education package that could cost in excess of $50,000.

KAY PATTERSON: Forty-two million dollars of taxpayers' money each four years, and I think the taxpayers expect that they should have access to a doctor.

---------------

$42M / 234 = $180,000 / year X 6 years = $1.08M. Poor little darlings grizzle about $50,000 = 5%.

Bring in a ship load of Immos and stick them in the bush.

Old Jul 9th 2003, 4:06 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by The Tooth Fairy

Bring in a ship load of Immos and stick them in the bush.
Good idea dig a big pond with a wave machine no worries on the sand loads of that in the outback (countryside) and con the sods its a inland beach .
Roll up for sun , sand and lifestyle that is second to none in this sunburn'nt land.
That said the country people in Australia are gems , the suburban dwellers are the same in any country but the real people are too be found in outback watering holes.

Old Jul 9th 2003, 5:15 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Good idea dig a big pond with a wave machine no worries on the sand loads of that in the outback (countryside) and con the sods its a inland beach .
Roll up for sun , sand and lifestyle that is second to none in this sunburn'nt land.
That said the country people in Australia are gems , the suburban dwellers are the same in any country but the real people are too be found in outback watering holes.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they change the Immigration Laws to further encourage skilled migrants into the bush areas. Bob Carr for one is moaning that most skilled immos seem to want to go to Sydney and end up driving taxis.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 5:22 am
The Tooth Fairy

Originally posted by pommie bastard

Sorry, don't think you will qualify.

Old Jul 9th 2003, 5:33 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by The Tooth Fairy
Sorry, don't think you will qualify.
Wait a minute Pal me good lady is a bum wiper (nurse) the True Blues must need the odd one of them?

Old Jul 9th 2003, 5:39 am
Banned

Originally posted by renth
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they change the Immigration Laws to further encourage skilled migrants into the bush areas. Bob Carr for one is moaning that most skilled immos seem to want to go to Sydney and end up driving taxis.

The Urban waste lands in most of Australias cities are leading on a road that makes more problems for this country than it can handle .
The emptyness of Australia is not to be found in Capital Cities that attract 99% of all new refugees , there has to be a shift towards NZ new immigration laws soon.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 9th 2003 at 5:45 am.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 11:18 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Off the beaten track anyone?

Originally posted by dotty
I am wondering if any immigrants are planning to settle off the beaten track, ie, rural, remote, isolated areas. Anywhere not in the Cities, beach burbs or say 2 hours from a capital city.

Reason I ask is the Oz Gov has already got teachers doing remote service, some police, and now some University courses are looking at coming with a "work in the Outback" clause.

Has any one coming over considered escaping the rat race and heading bush or "out west" as they say in QLD, plenty of jobs, plenty of space, cheap houses, plenty of sun. Any takers?
Its looking more and more like we are heading to Townsville, which is'nt exactly off the beaten track, but its way more than 2 hours from the cap city...

I have been offered a job (short contract, but its somwhere to go from) in Charters towers, which is about an hours drive inland from townsville.

I may end up commuting from Tvlle as we want to live relativily near the coast.

That qualify?
Old Jul 10th 2003, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Well that was an interesting post. Not one taker on the Outback where OZ needs population.

What about all that space guys, whys everyone heading for the Suburbs!!!! I thought that was what people wanted to escape. Come on folk bring out the Steve Irwin in yourself, Crocodile Dundee perhaps, Welcome to Woop woop.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
... Charters towers, which is about an hours drive inland from townsville.
It's a bit more than that I'm afraid. About 135km or 1 hr 40 min + depending on which side of TSV you're coming from.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by dotty
Well that was an interesting post. Not one taker on the Outback where OZ needs population.

What about all that space guys, whys everyone heading for the Suburbs!!!! I thought that was what people wanted to escape. Come on folk bring out the Steve Irwin in yourself, Crocodile Dundee perhaps, Welcome to Woop woop.
Ok Dotty if you think it's such a good idea why don't you move out their, you could buy oodles of land for a pittance.

You never know it could be your next big money makng scheme (or send you bust in no time).
Old Jul 10th 2003, 2:23 am
Banned

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Ok Dotty if you think it's such a good idea why don't you move out their, you could buy oodles of land for a pittance.

You never know it could be your next big money makng scheme (or send you bust in no time).
Bob Carr thought of the idea first , hes overloaded with refugees.

Old Jul 10th 2003, 7:55 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by etlniwd
It's a bit more than that I'm afraid. About 135km or 1 hr 40 min + depending on which side of TSV you're coming from.
Arghhh i hate job agencies. Bastards always end up lying about somthing...

Thanks for the headsup...

Pete.
Old Jul 12th 2003, 9:21 pm
les
Forum Regular

les is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey I live in a place called Saunders Beach which is approx 25 minutes north of Townsville NQ, definately a bit of a culture shock it (Townsville) has just been declared the redneck capitol of Australia, although I have to say it hasn't stuck me as that bad the jobs here are allocated on a who you know basis, but its a great place to live, freindly sunny and all the facilities you would expect in a good size town.
Charters Towers enjoy the commute its a long boring hour and probably worth staying in the town during the week and at the coast for the weekend
for the record we chose to aim for Townsville and I feel it was the right decision for us there are drawbacks with not living in the major cities but i think that the lifestyle of North Queensland is the best there is whereevr you end up go there to enjoy it and it will be a great experience
Old Jul 12th 2003, 10:25 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by les
Hey I live in a place called Saunders Beach which is approx 25 minutes north of Townsville NQ, definately a bit of a culture shock it (Townsville) has just been declared the redneck capitol of Australia, although I have to say it hasn't stuck me as that bad the jobs here are allocated on a who you know basis, but its a great place to live, freindly sunny and all the facilities you would expect in a good size town.
Charters Towers enjoy the commute its a long boring hour and probably worth staying in the town during the week and at the coast for the weekend
for the record we chose to aim for Townsville and I feel it was the right decision for us there are drawbacks with not living in the major cities but i think that the lifestyle of North Queensland is the best there is whereevr you end up go there to enjoy it and it will be a great experience
Thanks for the info Les..nice to know you are enjoying Townsville

Can i ask what kind of work you do? How easily did you find work in townsville?

Cheers

Pete.