Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Off to Adelaide with all Kidds Yikes!!!!!

Wikiposts

Off to Adelaide with all Kidds Yikes!!!!!

Old Apr 21st 2004, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

cordi is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Off to Adelaide with all Kidds Yikes!!!!!

We are all goin to Adelaide to activate the Visa .I was under the impresion that only I had to go ,being the Visa applicant but NO!
We all have to go sooo 20th May were off to start the process.
We are staying for 1 month for a kind of info gathering type holiday although not sure how much of a holiday it will be for me .
I fel very nervous about meeting all the friends and rellies who don't know us at all.
Took some organinsing too. Got flights out on dates we wanted and then nothing comming back ,things like that.
Has anyone got any experience of this kind of trip ? I thought about taking the Boys to look at schools and going round the agencies for work etc etc .
Hope it's all going well for everyone Cordi X
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:37 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cordi

we are also going to Adelaide in May to validate and make sure we are doing the right thing we will stop of in Malyasia first and arrive in Adelaide 27th we are staying in Glenelg, in answer to your question I dont know how old youre children are but we will be asking the schools to provide work for the older children and they all will be keeping a journal I think going to a different country is always an education in itself

anyway have fun

Donna Tom and kids
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

cordi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ADELAIDE BOUND
Hi Cordi

we are also going to Adelaide in May to validate and make sure we are doing the right thing we will stop of in Malyasia first and arrive in Adelaide 27th we are staying in Glenelg, in answer to your question I dont know how old youre children are but we will be asking the schools to provide work for the older children and they all will be keeping a journal I think going to a different country is always an education in itself

anyway have fun

Donna Tom and kids
Donna how long are you there for ?
we are staying for a month John booked an apartment cos it's cheaper .Catch ya Later Cordi
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 5:57 am
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi cordi

we are in Adelaide for 3weeks doing the same as you looking into schools and suburbs we will try and balance it all out one day looking around the next being a tourist its only fair on the kids,
we also have four children twin boys of 13 two girls of 11 and 8 they are really excited we are meeting a few of the other guys of adelaide brits havent made any arrangements as of yet but youll be more than welcome to meet up with us all, how old are your children?

Cheers Donna
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 10:23 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ADELAIDE BOUND
Hi cordi

we are in Adelaide for 3weeks doing the same as you looking into schools and suburbs we will try and balance it all out one day looking around the next being a tourist its only fair on the kids,
we also have four children twin boys of 13 two girls of 11 and 8 they are really excited we are meeting a few of the other guys of adelaide brits havent made any arrangements as of yet but youll be more than welcome to meet up with us all, how old are your children?

Cheers Donna
We validated our visas in Adelaide in February and I'd say it's a realy good idea to balance the fact finding and tourist activities. That way you get to see a bit of the area, and also gather some info in advance of the big move.

If you do meet up with the Adelaide brits guys please say Hi to Elaine and Howard, and Nicki (podgypossum) from me!

Elaine M
Old Mar 24th 2005, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Off to Adelaide with all Kidds Yikes!!!!!

Originally Posted by cordi
We are all goin to Adelaide to activate the Visa .I was under the impresion that only I had to go ,being the Visa applicant but NO!
We are staying for 1 month for a kind of info gathering type holiday although not sure how much of a holiday it will be for me .
I fel very nervous about meeting all the friends and rellies who don't know us at all.
Took some organinsing too. Got flights out on dates we wanted and then nothing comming back ,things like that.
Has anyone got any experience of this kind of trip ? I thought about taking the Boys to look at schools and going round the agencies for work etc etc .

I was wondering if people makes these validation trips AS WELL AS at some stage doing a recce trip??

I am interested to know how many people decide emigrate to Oz never having set foot on Oz soil? How many people's validation trip be the first time visiting the country?

Its just that we are trying to organise a recce trip to SA - prob about October time - but our next trip out would then be the final move (visa willing of course) - we couldnt possibly afford a recce trip, validation trip THEN the final move out - its just so expensive having 5 in the family and No1 son is 13 so hes needs an adult ticket :scared:

Karen
Old Mar 24th 2005, 10:23 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Hi Cordi, I am now having a PANIC!!!!! We are awaiting our Skilled Independent Visa (in my name) and hopefully it should come in the next few weeks. our plan was to go out in June to Validate the Visa and for hubby to set up jobs/interviews etc. However, we were NOT planning to take our two children - mainly because of the expense and because of their ages (just 2 and 5 yrs). I have been told by my agent that it is fine for just me and my hubby to go for the validation trip as long as we return with the children within a year of their medicals (which we plan to do- hope to emigrate in Sept). Do you have information different to this?
Look forward to hearing your advise!
Carolyn
Old Mar 25th 2005, 2:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's going to be the start of winter so don't expect wonderful weather. Also it will get dark early in the evening.

Jeremy
Old Mar 25th 2005, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

alinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NAC
Hi Cordi, I am now having a PANIC!!!!! We are awaiting our Skilled Independent Visa (in my name) and hopefully it should come in the next few weeks. our plan was to go out in June to Validate the Visa and for hubby to set up jobs/interviews etc. However, we were NOT planning to take our two children - mainly because of the expense and because of their ages (just 2 and 5 yrs). I have been told by my agent that it is fine for just me and my hubby to go for the validation trip as long as we return with the children within a year of their medicals (which we plan to do- hope to emigrate in Sept). Do you have information different to this?
Look forward to hearing your advise!
Carolyn
Hi Carolyn I hope i don,t seem silly but when you say you are validateing your visa does this mean you are going on a hols to see where you intend to live. The reason for my question is that my hubby and 2 kids ,ages 16mths and 3yrs are trying to go to adelaide but one we can,t afford a trip and would dread the trip with the kids ,.so our 1st time will be when we arrive (hopefully) for the 1st and last time. Any tips on any subjet would be gratfull. TRACY
Old Mar 25th 2005, 8:19 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by alinora9
Hi Carolyn I hope i don,t seem silly but when you say you are validateing your visa does this mean you are going on a hols to see where you intend to live. The reason for my question is that my hubby and 2 kids ,ages 16mths and 3yrs are trying to go to adelaide but one we can,t afford a trip and would dread the trip with the kids ,.so our 1st time will be when we arrive (hopefully) for the 1st and last time. Any tips on any subjet would be gratfull. TRACY
Hi Tracy, I would probably prefer to be like you and make one trip - to emigrate. I don't think we could afford a return journey and then a single one a few months later - at least not for all four of us. Plus, I really can't imagine finding out much on areas etc with two young children in tow. However, we want my husband to have work lined up prior to him handing in his notice here and us arriving in Australia to live. As the Visa will be in my name (as a nurse) I have to be with him when we enter the country for the first time. It will be a hard trip because we are away from the children and will probably try and do it in 10 days, so it will be tiring too but hopefully worth it if we get some job success. We then plan to emigrate in September with the children (of course!!) but at least it will only be a one way flight. We know we are going to Brisbane area so the trip in June will involve looking around areas there and viewing some schools so that when we do emigrate at least we will have some idea of what area we want to live in. A lot of people say you should do a much more extensive reccie visit but we decided against it for the same reasons you gave.
Wishing you well with your move when it comes
Carolyn
Old Mar 26th 2005, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

alinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NAC
Hi Tracy, I would probably prefer to be like you and make one trip - to emigrate. I don't think we could afford a return journey and then a single one a few months later - at least not for all four of us. Plus, I really can't imagine finding out much on areas etc with two young children in tow. However, we want my husband to have work lined up prior to him handing in his notice here and us arriving in Australia to live. As the Visa will be in my name (as a nurse) I have to be with him when we enter the country for the first time. It will be a hard trip because we are away from the children and will probably try and do it in 10 days, so it will be tiring too but hopefully worth it if we get some job success. We then plan to emigrate in September with the children (of course!!) but at least it will only be a one way flight. We know we are going to Brisbane area so the trip in June will involve looking around areas there and viewing some schools so that when we do emigrate at least we will have some idea of what area we want to live in. A lot of people say you should do a much more extensive reccie visit but we decided against it for the same reasons you gave.
Wishing you well with your move when it comes
Carolyn

Hi Carolyn You are going to be busy i wish all the best on the trip out and hope you find what you need to know.( good luck with the kids)

Tracy
Old Mar 26th 2005, 8:23 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alinora9
Hi Carolyn You are going to be busy i wish all the best on the trip out and hope you find what you need to know.( good luck with the kids)

Tracy
Thanks Tracy, karma sent to you!!
Carolyn