Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Odd Weather In QLD.

Odd Weather In QLD.

Old Jan 7th 2003, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Odd Weather In QLD.

Has anybody else in Qld noticed that its barely warm for this time of year? It seems incredibly mild, only 30 in the day and low 20,s at night, I have never seen such a cool january, the humidity is almost non existant. Lovely as it is I am wondering if this means we are going to get some awful weather soon, its really odd. Anybody remember last summers 44 degree days and still 30 plus in May? I bet we pay with a vengance soon.
Old Jan 7th 2003, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

dotty

you are in the middle of a strong el nino effect. nz has had very simular 'strange' weather perfectly natural and not 'manmade' in anyway

btw
in the u.k it was very spring like for christmas -now it's below freezing and snow up north..

cheers

richard
Old Jan 7th 2003, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

try http://www.john-daly.com (australian site)

for a more indepth look at the weather/climate

cheers

richard
Old Jan 7th 2003, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We also have snow in London which is VERY unusual,only the 2nd time in 3 years. It is bloody freezing, I hate the snow!!
Old Jan 7th 2003, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

yes
in the last century we only had 7 official -ie london- white christmasses

cheers

richard
Old Jan 8th 2003, 2:12 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

This is us!

WEDNESDAY MORNING AFTERNOON EVENING NIGHT
Conditions
Mostly cloudy. Cold.
Mostly cloudy. Cold.
Mostly cloudy. Cold.
Cloudy. Cold.
Temp. -10° C -7° C -12° C -14° C

Cheers - Don
Old Jan 8th 2003, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
This is us!

WEDNESDAY MORNING AFTERNOON EVENING NIGHT
Conditions
Mostly cloudy. Cold.
Mostly cloudy. Cold.
Mostly cloudy. Cold.
Cloudy. Cold.
Temp. -10° C -7° C -12° C -14° C

Cheers - Don
Oh well, as long as you've got your health, friends, family. Weather isn't everything, but it does help.

Here in Perth:

Yesterday: Sunny, 34
Today: Sunny, hot, windy, 37
Tomorrow: Hot, risk of thunderstorm, 37
Friday: Humid change, 34
Saturday: Fine, evening shower, 24
Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: Cool and showery at first, becoming fine and slowly warming.

Bit up and down. But you can't complain of the weather being boring.
Old Jan 8th 2003, 4:22 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Odd Weather In QLD.

Originally posted by dotty
Has anybody else in Qld noticed that its barely warm for this time of year? It seems incredibly mild, only 30 in the day and low 20,s at night, I have never seen such a cool january, the humidity is almost non existant. Lovely as it is I am wondering if this means we are going to get some awful weather soon, its really odd. Anybody remember last summers 44 degree days and still 30 plus in May? I bet we pay with a vengance soon.
Yes I have, Christmas here this year was cool, the coolest I've had anyway. I keep expecting a heatwave and it hasn't come yet. One night, last week I think it was, I got my quilt back out and chucked it on the bed as I was feeling a bit cold, must have dropped to 17 or 18 or something in the night. I'm not complaining though, this weather is pretty pleasant.

I thought the 44 degree weather we had,was the Christmas before last, not last year, I can't remember it being 40 odd last Christmas although it was a lot warmer than this year (maybe I was p*ssed/passed out). From my memory the hot year was the year my fridge conked out with hundreds of dollars worth of xmas food in it ! And I also went out and bought a window aircon that very same hot year when it was into it's 40's, which I think it was around feb the hottest.

Don't speak too soon though, we've still got feb to get through, from memory, feb two years ago, or was it three? who knows anyway it was very hot into the 40's during the month of feb one year.

cheers

P.S can anyone confirm if Brisbane has ever had snow in history? A Guy in work reckons years ago they had some snow (he's a local Brisbane guy, grew up here) ..or is he pulling my plonker?
Old Jan 8th 2003, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ceri

According to the Bureau of Meteorology site (www.bom.gov.au) the temperature did get down to 0.6 degrees once in the last 50 years, so I guess it's possible...although my Father in Law has lived there since the early 60s and he doesn't remember any snow.

Weird day in Sydney today. It has been 37 degrees for most of the afternoon and now the sky has turned black and a very strong southerly is blowing. The change is with us again...

Col
Old Jan 8th 2003, 6:00 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by colin
Hi Ceri

According to the Bureau of Meteorology site (www.bom.gov.au) the temperature did get down to 0.6 degrees once in the last 50 years, so I guess it's possible...although my Father in Law has lived there since the early 60s and he doesn't remember any snow.

Weird day in Sydney today. It has been 37 degrees for most of the afternoon and now the sky has turned black and a very strong southerly is blowing. The change is with us again...

Col
Yep, the office windows behind me are flexing in the wind and the sky has gone very very black. We're in for a good one I think.
Old Jan 9th 2003, 2:43 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by colin
Hi Ceri

Col
I've only just read your reply today(10th) ... did the storms hit you personally?. saw them on the news here in Brissie day before yesterday... ripping roofs off... anyway... you were so right with your black skies.!! ..were you one of the unlucky ones.... just wondering did your area/house get damaged at all?

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jan 9th 2003 at 2:49 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2003, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

We were OK, thanks Ceri. Lots of collateral damage in the area but fortunately we got away with just lots of foliage and branches to sweep up at the weekend! We did pass a bush fire on the way home which was a little close for comfort. Not sure how it started. Thankfully it was raining so that would have helped them put it out pretty quickly. I shouldn't laugh, but my wife was walking across the Harbour Bridge from her office to mine when the storm started blowing!!! Bloody dangerous, this keeping fit lark...