Reload this Page >

Occupational Therapy Registration NZ to Oz

Occupational Therapy Registration NZ to Oz

Old May 26th 2022, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Loisshannane1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Occupational Therapy Registration NZ to Oz

Hi,

I wondered has anyone had any experience of registering for practice in NZ as an OT and then transfering registration to Oz? I'm aware you can do this automatically via the Trans-Tasman agreement. However, wondering if you have to work in NZ for a certain period of time first? I haven't worked in NZ yet and wondering if you are granted full NZ registration straight away which would then mean you could apply for Oz registration.

I haven't decided which country I want to go to yet but the NZ process seams much simpler but don't want to fix my option of having to work in NZ first.

Hope someone can help with some experience.

Thanks
Old Jun 24th 2022, 9:07 pm
Lozza

Lauren1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Occupational Therapy Registration NZ to Oz

Hi.
I am an OT currently going through the NZ registration process so that I can get a job in Aus.

My understanding is that if you register through the AUS route (although it's easier) it will be like a probationary period and you will need to be closely supervised for 6 months which can actually put employers off AND you wouldn't then have the option of NZ. Whereas if you register with OTBNZ you have the full registration and can transfer it over.
​​​​​​
I haven't completed the process yet so can't be 100% but that is my understanding anyway. I am close to sending my application off, just have about 6 more competency examples to give.
​​​​​ Let me know how you get on 🙂

Last edited by Lauren1988; Jun 24th 2022 at 9:09 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2022, 4:04 am
Just Joined

Hi I submitted my NZ registration and one of the last sign off boxes that you tick states that you have to complete a supervised period for the first 6 months when you start first start practicing as an OT in NZ. My assumption is that you have to feed this back to the board.
Old Dec 1st 2022, 8:47 am
Lozza

Hi sorry for my late response. My AHPRA registration has come through with the condition that my practice is supervised fortnightly for the first 6 months. Although the process took me a long time, actually it has worked out quite well. Now I'm just waiting for my visa to come through 🙂
Old Dec 3rd 2022, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Petronella is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lauren

i have noticed that you now have registration with AHPRA from OTBNZ does it mean you are also registered with the OT council? How will
you go about the visa process as when I looked at the home affairs website it states that OT’s need to complete a skills assessment with the OT council.
Your response will be much appreciated
Old Dec 3rd 2022, 9:26 pm
Lozza

Hi. Yes I'm registered with both the OTBNZ and AHPRA. I have been offered employment in Aus and they will sponsor me on a 482 visa. My skills assessment was all the paperwork and documentation that led up to this.
I am now only required to complete the supervised practise for 6 months. I don't start until march so I may be wrong, but this is what I think. However, once I've started I can let you know if I've missed anything.
Good luck 😊
Old Dec 6th 2022, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Petronella is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your response
Do you have limited registration or full registration requiring the supervised practice for 6 months.
Yes please do let me know how you get on, I will start looking for jobs too.
Where are you moving too ?
All the best 😊
Old Dec 8th 2022, 9:57 pm
Lozza

I believe I have a full registration but with a condition of fortnightly supervisions for 6 months. I'm not sure if that's considered limited. I don't believe I will have any other limitations to my practice.

We are moving to Newcastle in Feb. Just have our visas left to go and we we will be flying in Feb.

​​​​​Thank you. Good luck with your job hunting. 😊

Last edited by Lauren1988; Dec 8th 2022 at 10:00 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2022, 5:42 am
Just Joined

Hi Lauren1988

Did you apply direct to OTBNZ 1st and then to APARH?

Did you have to spend any length of time practicing in NZ 1st? Mine says I have induction and orientation to do which is what I have to do when I first start practicing in NZ.

Thanks for your help with the queries!

Lois
Old Dec 10th 2022, 7:14 am
Lozza

Yes I applied to OTBNZ and once I got my practising certificate I applied to AHPRA. I haven't practised in new Zealand.
Old Dec 10th 2022, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Oh no way!

I thought my registration was limited with NZ until I complete my 6 month induction and orientation with them.

​​​​​​As it says:

'Recertification programme

Induction and Orientation to Practice'

I thought I ticketed a box when I submitted the registration saying I understand I must complete 6 month orientation and feedback to OTBNZ within 3 year period.

Didn't wanna email them and be like sooooo can I register in Auz?

Thanks for this btw! I'n far too anxious of a person to note do things 'right' haha.

​​​​

Old Dec 10th 2022, 8:01 pm
Lozza

Originally Posted by Loisshannane1
Oh no way!

I thought my registration was limited with NZ until I complete my 6 month induction and orientation with them.

​​​​​​As it says:

'Recertification programme

Induction and Orientation to Practice'

I thought I ticketed a box when I submitted the registration saying I understand I must complete 6 month orientation and feedback to OTBNZ within 3 year period.

Didn't wanna email them and be like sooooo can I register in Auz?

Thanks for this btw! I'n far too anxious of a person to note do things 'right' haha.

​​​​
Haha no don't worry. I'm still nervous! But I'm definitely registered with AHPRA. I think, from what I've gathered, is that my new Zealand conditions have just transferred over. I think I've ticked the same box, but I presume if I don't do it then I lose my OTBNZ registration which doesn't matter as I'll have my AHPRA. So long as I stick with my AHPRA conditions then I should be good in OZ. It is a lot of information to figure out but you will get there. Are you from U.K? 😊
Old Dec 10th 2022, 9:09 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Am I reading this right?

People are looking to waste the NZ OTBNZ time & effort when they have little to no intention to live in New Zealand ?

FWIW . I think if someone is happy to use the OBTNZ for a registration the least they can do is to remain in NZ for a good two years.

Apologies if I have read this incorrectly and the aim is to gain NZ registration and then emigrate to NZ - not Oz.
Old Dec 10th 2022, 9:25 pm
Lozza

Originally Posted by BEVS
Am I reading this right?

People are looking to waste the NZ OTBNZ time & effort when they have little to no intention to live in New Zealand ?

FWIW . I think if someone is happy to use the OBTNZ for a registration the least they can do is to remain in NZ for a good two years.

Apologies if I have read this incorrectly and the aim is to gain NZ registration and then emigrate to NZ - not Oz.
At the time of applying I had every intention of working in New Zealand. My circumstances changed and rather than start the process from scratch for AHPRA I used it to my advantage. I am gutted that it didn't work with NZ though. This has not been a decision taken lightly.
​​​​​
Old Dec 10th 2022, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lauren1988
Haha no don't worry. I'm still nervous! But I'm definitely registered with AHPRA. I think, from what I've gathered, is that my new Zealand conditions have just transferred over. I think I've ticked the same box, but I presume if I don't do it then I lose my OTBNZ registration which doesn't matter as I'll have my AHPRA. So long as I stick with my AHPRA conditions then I should be good in OZ. It is a lot of information to figure out but you will get there. Are you from U.K? 😊
Amazing Lauren1988 thank you so much for your support!!! Good to know the process option. And Indeed I am! ☺️ Are you?

BEVS I registered with OTBNZ with the intention of using my registration to work in NZ. I am living a nomadic lifestyle at present and the criteria for registrering with the OTBNZ is to have worked with the same OT for a period of 6 months in the last 2 years. Therefore I have registered with the intention of working there so I didn't lose the option.

The Auz registration I can find a supervisor and don't have to worry about having worked with the same supervisor for 6 months who has also known me for a period of a year as they sort that out in house..

Originally I was asking as I didn't want to pay all that money, for their time and effort and then not use it as was fearful I wouldn't gain a job from overseas as I have used my NZ working holiday. However, I still qualify for my Auz working holiday. Although since then I have found a reliable recruitment agency that I trust to assist with finding work overseas.

Therefore yeah NZ 1st choice
Auz 2nd

Just finding out information on where I stand with my current options.

Hope that helps to clarify ☺️

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.