Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Obtaining UK medical records to take to OZ

Obtaining UK medical records to take to OZ

Old Jan 2nd 2006, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default Obtaining UK medical records to take to OZ

Caz has asked me to ask you all this:

When we go, how easy is it to get hold of a copy of our medical records from our UK GP to take to our OZ GP?

Is there a charge?
Do they even let you take them?

TIA

Rob
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 6:30 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining UK medical records to take to OZ

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Caz has asked me to ask you all this:

When we go, how easy is it to get hold of a copy of our medical records from our UK GP to take to our OZ GP?

Is there a charge?
Do they even let you take them?

TIA

Rob
I asked my GP this when I last saw him and he said no problem, there may be a small charge, but he wasnt sure how much.

I dont think we will bother for me and Dan, nothing out of the ordinary. We will get Harrys though, mainly for the immunisation record.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
I asked my GP this when I last saw him and he said no problem, there may be a small charge, but he wasnt sure how much.

I dont think we will bother for me and Dan, nothing out of the ordinary. We will get Harrys though, mainly for the immunisation record.
Thanx Claire, thats what we suspected. Not sure if we will bother either to be honest......nothing remarkable to report here!
Another thing ticked on the 'to do list'
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 7:10 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

I asked at our docs & they said no problem, would cost £20 per person. Think maybe only will get mine as it contains all my caesarian info from Jonahs birth..... I have the red books for both kids with the vax details already.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point

We contacted our GP the other day about this and were advised that it would be 10p a page and there would be a lot of useless info if we had it all. Decided not to bother.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:51 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Our doc provided us with a 2 page print out (per person) summarising anything that we had consulted them on in the time that we had been registered with the practice, including any prescriptions. Free of charge for a family of five. I was impressed - good old NHS!

Binbird
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Originally Posted by binbird
Our doc provided us with a 2 page print out (per person) summarising anything that we had consulted them on in the time that we had been registered with the practice, including any prescriptions. Free of charge for a family of five. I was impressed - good old NHS!

Binbird
I went to my Doctors yesterday and they said that you dont take your records with you. They are kept on file in the UK until needed again, or are sent overseas if requested by an Aussie doctor. Having read the above, I am not sure how true it is...!!

SS
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:06 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
I went to my Doctors yesterday and they said that you dont take your records with you. They are kept on file in the UK until needed again, or are sent overseas if requested by an Aussie doctor. Having read the above, I am not sure how true it is...!!

SS
It's true - you don't take your records with you - apparently they belong to the NHS. We just got a summary - whether it will be useful or not remains to be seen. Fortunately we are a healthy bunch and there is nothing on ours of any interest anyway!

Binbird
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Originally Posted by binbird
It's true - you don't take your records with you - apparently they belong to the NHS. We just got a summary - whether it will be useful or not remains to be seen. Fortunately we are a healthy bunch and there is nothing on ours of any interest anyway!

Binbird
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

SS
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:22 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

I was able to take copy's of my health records to Oz just had to pay a fee for them. This was back in 2002. Never had a problem with that.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The originals stay with the NHS, but you can have a copy, for which they are allowed to charge you. However, over here doctors don't botehr with records, wnd you can visit a different doctor every time if you wish.
Its really only worth getting your records if you have an ongoing medical condition - and if you get them, check them carefully - my file contained details of the ailments of two other people!!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:13 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

SS

You can get what's caled a hand over file. All original documents stay with the Doc etc. It's the same if we transfer someone hospitals etc. You copy the notes to send with them. Originals stay put. A hand over file summarises you care.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:34 am

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
I asked at our docs & they said no problem, would cost £20 per person. Think maybe only will get mine as it contains all my caesarian info from Jonahs birth..... I have the red books for both kids with the vax details already.

claire (jonahs mummy!), it maybe worth not bothering with your gp held notes, and get a copy of your medical notes from the hospital (with regards to jonahs birth) because all we send gps is a summary of what happened (very basic) and the useful things to know about caesareans are whether you had any complications (which you may not know about!!) etc etc

just an idea!

amanda
Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Hello

Don't know if your NHS trust is different, but if I want to get my hospital maternity records (the ones you carry around, not GP records) the charge was £54 (odd number I know) so I must say I like your doctor much better than ours is he can do it for £20.

Abby
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:24 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

SS

our doc wouldnt give us ours either they sed if aussie docs want info then they would fax details...got kids immunisation records mind u. Aussie docs didnt want them either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.