Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Obtaining Oz Tax File Number

Obtaining Oz Tax File Number

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Question Obtaining Oz Tax File Number

I've been on the Ato website and can't find a definative answer as whether I can apply for a tax file number without a 457 visa.

I'm currently in Oz (tourist visa) and have 457 application about to be sent to Diac and I have already opened a bank account.

When I go to this page http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/38760.htm it seems to be contradictive as although I'm a temporary visitor, I don't really fit the criteria set out.

So can I apply for a tax file number and if so can someone point me to the page on the Ato website where I can do this.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 12:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining Oz Tax File Number

I don't think it's contradictory at all...seems fairly clear cut that you shouldn't apply as you don't meet any of the 'you must also' conditions.

Tourist visa applying for a TFN....would set the alarm bells off don't you think!?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with bcworld, it is perfectly clear.

You can apply for a TFN once you have a visa with work rights.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Thanks, thats cleared it up.