Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Obtaining GP/Hospital records before emigrating

Obtaining GP/Hospital records before emigrating

Old Mar 21st 2002, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Obtaining GP/Hospital records before emigrating

Has anyone taken their dentist's, doctor's or hospital notes with them with emigrating? Or is it pointless me even asking for them?
Or when I sign on with an Aussie GP, will he request the notes to be forwarded to him? Anyone any experience of this?
Old Mar 22nd 2002, 8:35 am
Vera.Wood

Default Re: Obtaining GP/Hospital records before emigrating

I phoned the NHS helpline to ask the same questions and they said it is possible to
ask your Doctor for a condenced copy of records,but do ask how much this will
cost...best of luck.

Jacqui wrote:

> Has anyone taken their dentist's, doctor's or hospital notes with them with
    > emigrating? Or is it pointless me even asking for them? Or when I sign on with an
    > Aussie GP, will he request the notes to be forwarded to him? Anyone any experience
    > of this?
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 28th 2002, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

I've spoken to the battleaxe at the doctor's surgery (I appreciate they're not all like that but I had to choose the receptionist having a bad hair day didn't I ?!!) She gave me number to ring where fortunately the lady who answered was polite and helpful.

Anyway, it appears that all GP and hospital records are the property of the Department of Health and by law cannot be taken out of the country. If I wish, the surgery could print out a computer record of medical history since 1997 (that's when they started computerising records) at a cost of £15 per patient (there's 5 of us). I don't think I'll bother, I can remember what we've all had wrong with us since 1997, and the children's illness and immunisation records I have kept since they were born.
Old Mar 28th 2002, 3:50 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Under the Data Protection Act - all computer records held should be available to you - at a max of £10 each, we had ours done and we had a summary report of all the vaccinations for the children which was the most important ones for schools etc. Maybe it was just our surgery that had that level of detail but mine went back to 1964 - the year I was born! Have you got the actual vacinations certificates for the children I have those as well, being a um like you I keep all those bits!!! Makes for fun when sorting through for a move.
Old Mar 28th 2002, 9:35 pm
Jaj

Once you are registered with Medicare, you don't actually 'sign on' with any
particular GP (as in the UK). You can see whoever you like when you need to see a
doctor, the bill gets sent either direct to Medicare or you pay (about AUD30 and can
claim about 70% back at a Medicare office).

Jeremy

>On 21 Mar 2002 10:33:31 -0600, Jacqui <[email protected]> wrote:

>Has anyone taken their dentist's, doctor's or hospital notes with them with
    >emigrating? Or is it pointless me even asking for them? Or when I sign on with an
    >Aussie GP, will he request the notes to be forwarded to him? Anyone any
    >experience of this?
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com