Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

observations on securing perm housing before arrival

observations on securing perm housing before arrival

Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

rld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud of
Default observations on securing perm housing before arrival

I move out to Melbourne in March and have found agents surprising willing to 'secure' apartments sight unseen. A few say 'legally we cannot do it' (as noted on this board. A fair number say, quite literally 'we normally do not do this for 'some nationalities like Asians (can't believe they say this in writing!!)' but for Americans and Brits if you pay the bond we will hold it for you and hand over keys on arrival + first month rent only provided you email them your employment contract details. Additionally, I have even had a few offer a 'special lease' where the rent is say 800 a month for first 3 months and 650 for the next 9 months as two contracts to help squeeze a bit extra out of LAFHA! I can't believe that is exactly legally so I wont be taking anyone up on that one.

Where this appears most common are new, mega builds especially in Docklands. Older builds or suburbs seem pretty standard about viewings etc - my guess is they just want to line people up for new builds - some of the dockland options are brand new and you would be the first person living in them, often furnish to high standard. Nice one bedrooms can be had for 500 a week furnished - seems a good deal if you work in that area and don't mind the 'soulless' vibe people note here.

Just thought Id note this to others - I know this is risky but some will even offer 3 month or 6 month leases so clearly they need to rent units in these new builds, badly, and it is a better deal vs temp housing to a higher standard.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: observations on securing perm housing before arrival

I would still not rent anywhere without seeing it first.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

rld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud of

I agree - that said a few of the docklands agents are offering to hold a new build for a small deposit to pass over bond and first month on meeting. Just surprised to see the flexibility given comments on this board about requirements for 3 months rent. Maybe having a job in advance is the different, not sure. Ill post more observations once I arrive as maybe it will help someone else going forward. Getting a 3 month lease on a studio for about 1800 a month is pretty good when most decent temp housing options furnished are north for 1000 a week and generally lower spec apartments.

Id also add given you flex the docklands agents are compared to everyone else there must be some serious oversupply of studio and one bedrooms in the area.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rld1177
I agree - that said a few of the docklands agents are offering to hold a new build for a small deposit to pass over bond and first month on meeting. Just surprised to see the flexibility given comments on this board about requirements for 3 months rent. Maybe having a job in advance is the different, not sure. Ill post more observations once I arrive as maybe it will help someone else going forward. Getting a 3 month lease on a studio for about 1800 a month is pretty good when most decent temp housing options furnished are north for 1000 a week and generally lower spec apartments.

Id also add given you flex the docklands agents are compared to everyone else there must be some serious oversupply of studio and one bedrooms in the area.
I have never heard of there being a 3 month *requirement* for rent in advance. I think that sometimes people suggest offering it if there is lots of competition and jobs are not yet lined up. I am pretty sure it is not legal for agents to request rent in advance.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 1:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I know a lot of people offer rent in advance, but don't remember seeing it as a requirement very often.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 12:21 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

In docklands there is a very high vacancy rate when compared to the rest of Melbourne, due to oversupply.

BB
Old Feb 20th 2012, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Some people do offer more rent in advance (3 - 6 months) but it's actually illegal for an estate agent to ask for or accept more than 4 weeks in advance.

I also wouldn't send any money without arriving, there are plenty of scams online in which families have sent money before arriving only to find the "deal" or apartment didn't even exist.

Tell them you will pay on arrival when the keys are in your hand.