Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Observations from our reccie.....

Observations from our reccie.....

Old Mar 28th 2008, 10:32 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Observations from our reccie.....

Originally Posted by vanessandave
We recently got back from 3 fabulous weeks in the Brisbane, Sunny Coast and Gold Coast area, here are our random observations/opinions.....

1) The hinterland behind the SC and GC is stunning!!!!
2) Beware of the left hand lane when driving....it might just disappear!
3) I found driving in Oz far more relaxing than the UK, and generally very easy to navigate
4) We got an Oz map for our Tomtom satnav and it was priceless, saving us lots of time and probably a few arguments!!
5) Eating out was generally expensive compared to the UK, but I did find the quality better - especially the steaks! However we were tourists so I imagine some of the places we visited were priced accordingly.
6) Dogs - there seems to be a different attitude to dog ownership in that we walk our dogs off lead pretty much everywhere in the UK, but in Oz you need to find a designated area. Speaking to people these areas are quite common but we didnt see any. This is understandable with the wildlife that is being protected.
7) Crime/Vandalism - didn't see any.
8) Loving the free BBQ's scattered around the coast and parkland
9) The locals seemed genuinely pleasant and interested in who you are
10) Blatant 'adult' shops and lap dancing clubs
11) Public transport was clean and punctual
12) Lots of Thai restaurants
13) Much more of a North American feel to the country in terms of the sense of space, strip malls, wide roads and fast food restaurants everywhere
14) Petrol 60p a litre
15) Cost of grocery shopping in Woolworths and Coles was astronomical!
16) Hotels/B&B's very clean and reasonably priced
17) Smoking banned inside public places
18) Lots of wireless internet hot spots (we took our laptop which also proved to be invaluable)
19) Cheap sim card for our UK mobile from Crazy John's
20) There is SO much more to the Gold Coast than Surfers Paradise
21) We spoke to several estate agents and visited a number of open house viewings - the consensus was that house prices in most areas of the GC have started to come down, and vendors are being forced to accept offers below the asking price if they want to sell.
22) Building your own house appears to be so much easier than the UK. We hadn't really considered building our own until we saw the show homes at Jacobs Ridge. They looked perfect (I know they are show homes!) and a lot less expensive than I anticipated.
23) Never really liked beaches until I saw the ones in Oz, stunning.
24) Wildlife is fabulous, colourful birds, crazy looking furry things, massive bats...unfortunately never saw any snakes though.
25) Wear sunscreen all the time!
26) Jet lag really sucks!!!!
27) There are some great people using this site - you know who you are!!!

Before we went I (Dave) was the driving force, now we both can't wait to get there and start our new life as soon as possible.

Good luck to everyone waiting for your visa!
Very good, glad you enjoyed yourselves

Did you explore around Tamborine Mountain? I have a vested interest as this is where we are.

The little stuff like the parks, free BBQs, public transport still make me smile even 3 years in.

As far as grocery prices go then it will get forgotten about as soon as you stop doing the currency conversion. Took me a while but I'm happier for it.

As my (Aussie) OH said when I came over ... there is no point in comparing prices to the UK if you earn in dollars in spend in dollars and have no intention of going back.

Natural though, and a hard habit to break.

Last edited by Vim Fuego; Mar 28th 2008 at 10:55 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 10:40 pm
A roo in my top paddock!

Dreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sheli0508
We go on Monday to validate... can't wait.

We are taking a laptop and I googled 'hot spots' and there didn't seem to be many - any recommendations would be gratefully received.....
Hi Shelley.
I hope i have the right person!
I think we met at The Old Corn Mill last year at an ex pats meet.
You lucky people going over on Monday...i hope you have a fab time.
Where are you heading?If i recall you were interested in the Hinterland?Which part though cos ive forgotten that bit?
We have our flights booked for 13th May one way and are heading to North Gold Coast.
I have finished work now and am trying to get organised with everything i have to do although im not getting very far!
Anyway..great to hear from you , have a fab time and it would be nice to keep in touch.Especially if we are heading in the same direction.
Janice.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

jimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to all

I don't use coles or woolies, far too expensive, just plain rip off merchants. Use Aldi as much as possible, good quality too. As far as car hire, maybe wicked campers would be ok. their main depot in Brissy is just up the road from me, and they are renting vans for $25/$30 a night now. $30 gets aircon, but not really needed now as it is cooling down, may not suit, but just a thought
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

vanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by brendarover
http://www.acerentals.com.au/

Hello Dave/Vaness,

Yep nice post, helps many out, cheers, could i ask, is the link above, the company you used for car hire? I ask because, it seems quite good value.

I am going on holiday soon to Brisbane, not so much a reccie, more a sit around relaxing having a few sherberts sort of holiday. But i have got to book some car hire, could i ask, the base cost seem quite good, whats the catch, i mean once you start to add on all these Excess things, the cost does increase, did you need/use them, if so what would you recommend in terms of the excess traffic lights to tick on the enclosed screen grab?

I ask because i was going to use these;

http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/

I really wanted to pay in sterling, as the exchange rate is a cost booster at present, just wondering what your thoughts are?

Cheers.
Hiya, yep, those are the ones we used - we went for the $19 a day super saver - which was BY FAR the cheapest I could find (and I did a LOT of looking). The Hyundai Getz would be no good if there's more than 2 of you, and it did need first gear to get up some steep mountains - but it did us just fine and I will pick it again when we do move over. If you pick up the car from the airport the company email you a code for a box which has your car keys inside and is attached to the car, and your papers for signing which you then put into a post box; this means you can pick it up any time of the day. Also the rental car pickup is literally 100m from the terminal.
We didn't chose any of the extra insurances, I figured driving on the left would be pretty much the same as driving on the UK, plus the missus would have very limited time behind the wheel . Seriously though, we never had any near accidents so in hindsight we did the right thing.
Have a great time, let me know if I can be of any further assistance!
Dave
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

vanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Very good, glad you enjoyed yourselves

Did you explore around Tamborine Mountain? I have a vested interest as this is where we are.

The little stuff like the parks, free BBQs, public transport still make me smile even 3 years in.

As far as grocery prices go then it will get forgotten about as soon as you stop doing the currency conversion. Took me a while but I'm happier for it.

As my (Aussie) OH said when I came over ... there is no point in comparing prices to the UK if you earn in dollars in spend in dollars and have no intention of going back.

Natural though, and a hard habit to break.

Hi Vim (or should that be Alan Metcalfe???),
unfortunately the day we planned to go to Tambourine Mountain, Vanessa was offered a job interview so we didn't make it. Somebody recommended a great Italian restaurant up there, which I guess will have to wait for now.

Maybe we should start converting aussie dollars into US dollars then it won't make the pound feel so bad!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:19 am
Banned

LDU1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats so funny all your observations as soooooooooooooooo true of Australia.

I live on the Sunny Coast and have done for nealy 4 years, cant believe it really a far cry from Bolton.

<<snip>>

Tessa

Last edited by Sue; Mar 29th 2008 at 1:01 pm. Reason: As per our site rules forum posts are not to be used to tout for business!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:24 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Vim (or should that be Alan Metcalfe???),
unfortunately the day we planned to go to Tambourine Mountain, Vanessa was offered a job interview so we didn't make it. Somebody recommended a great Italian restaurant up there, which I guess will have to wait for now.

Maybe we should start converting aussie dollars into US dollars then it won't make the pound feel so bad!
Hey, that's a pretty good excuse for cancelling

I think there are a few good restaurants up there and it's a great place to rent a cottage for a weekend if you can't live up there (it's a fair hike to Brisbane CBD).

Yup, the currency thing is all relative, and it's swings and roundabouts as far as 'living expenses' goes.

Can't say I'd move back to Kent if I could double my disposible income though
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:47 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

We recently got back from 3 fabulous weeks in the Brisbane, Sunny Coast and Gold Coast area, here are our random observations/opinions.....

1) The hinterland behind the SC and GC is stunning!!!!
2) Beware of the left hand lane when driving....it might just disappear!
3) I found driving in Oz far more relaxing than the UK, and generally very easy to navigate
4) We got an Oz map for our Tomtom satnav and it was priceless, saving us lots of time and probably a few arguments!!
5) Eating out was generally expensive compared to the UK, but I did find the quality better - especially the steaks! However we were tourists so I imagine some of the places we visited were priced accordingly.
6) Dogs - there seems to be a different attitude to dog ownership in that we walk our dogs off lead pretty much everywhere in the UK, but in Oz you need to find a designated area. Speaking to people these areas are quite common but we didnt see any. This is understandable with the wildlife that is being protected.
7) Crime/Vandalism - didn't see any.
8) Loving the free BBQ's scattered around the coast and parkland
9) The locals seemed genuinely pleasant and interested in who you are
10) Blatant 'adult' shops and lap dancing clubs
11) Public transport was clean and punctual
12) Lots of Thai restaurants
13) Much more of a North American feel to the country in terms of the sense of space, strip malls, wide roads and fast food restaurants everywhere
14) Petrol 60p a litre
15) Cost of grocery shopping in Woolworths and Coles was astronomical!
16) Hotels/B&B's very clean and reasonably priced
17) Smoking banned inside public places
18) Lots of wireless internet hot spots (we took our laptop which also proved to be invaluable)
19) Cheap sim card for our UK mobile from Crazy John's
20) There is SO much more to the Gold Coast than Surfers Paradise
21) We spoke to several estate agents and visited a number of open house viewings - the consensus was that house prices in most areas of the GC have started to come down, and vendors are being forced to accept offers below the asking price if they want to sell.
22) Building your own house appears to be so much easier than the UK. We hadn't really considered building our own until we saw the show homes at Jacobs Ridge. They looked perfect (I know they are show homes!) and a lot less expensive than I anticipated.
23) Never really liked beaches until I saw the ones in Oz, stunning.
24) Wildlife is fabulous, colourful birds, crazy looking furry things, massive bats...unfortunately never saw any snakes though.
25) Wear sunscreen all the time!
26) Jet lag really sucks!!!!
27) There are some great people using this site - you know who you are!!!

Before we went I (Dave) was the driving force, now we both can't wait to get there and start our new life as soon as possible.

Good luck to everyone waiting for your visa!
Have to agree with pretty much all you've said there, it's fantastic and we still feel very lucky to be living here. Well worth the effort .
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brendarover
http://www.acerentals.com.au/

Hello Dave/Vaness,

Yep nice post, helps many out, cheers, could i ask, is the link above, the company you used for car hire? I ask because, it seems quite good value.

I am going on holiday soon to Brisbane, not so much a reccie, more a sit around relaxing having a few sherberts sort of holiday. But i have got to book some car hire, could i ask, the base cost seem quite good, whats the catch, i mean once you start to add on all these Excess things, the cost does increase, did you need/use them, if so what would you recommend in terms of the excess traffic lights to tick on the enclosed screen grab?

I ask because i was going to use these;

http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/

I really wanted to pay in sterling, as the exchange rate is a cost booster at present, just wondering what your thoughts are?

Cheers.
Hi,

I've used Holiday Autos a number of times (including in Oz) and have always found them to be cheap and never had any problems.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Living Down Under
Thats so funny all your observations as soooooooooooooooo true of Australia.

I live on the Sunny Coast and have done for nealy 4 years, cant believe it really a far cry from Bolton.

The dvds I have filmed also show potential migrants visual information, to help them in their decision process and which part/area of Australia to come and live.

I get amazing feedback, and one lady cancelled her reccie and the 5000GBP flights she had on hold with Thomas Cook on the strength of what she had seen.

They may even help some of you out there

Tessa
However good a DVD is, it can't give you the real feel of the country, though. Its like deciding to move on the strength of "Wanted Down Under"........
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:17 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya, yep, those are the ones we used - we went for the $19 a day super saver - which was BY FAR the cheapest I could find (and I did a LOT of looking). The Hyundai Getz would be no good if there's more than 2 of you, and it did need first gear to get up some steep mountains - but it did us just fine and I will pick it again when we do move over. If you pick up the car from the airport the company email you a code for a box which has your car keys inside and is attached to the car, and your papers for signing which you then put into a post box; this means you can pick it up any time of the day. Also the rental car pickup is literally 100m from the terminal.
We didn't chose any of the extra insurances, I figured driving on the left would be pretty much the same as driving on the UK, plus the missus would have very limited time behind the wheel . Seriously though, we never had any near accidents so in hindsight we did the right thing.
Have a great time, let me know if I can be of any further assistance!
Dave

Cheers Dave,

Thanks very much.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

SharonK is just really niceSharonK is just really niceSharonK is just really niceSharonK is just really niceSharonK is just really niceSharonK is just really niceSharonK is just really niceSharonK is just really nice

Hi, thought I would jump in too as I am from Newcastle, Staffs! We are heading to Brisbane too! Just waiting for Queensland Health to get back to us regarding a position! We are not sure where we want to go and its great reading everybodies views! Hoping to be out there by the end of the year not sure how realistic that is though

Sharon
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:17 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

There are plenty of places to choose from around Brisbane, good luck with your job application .
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:38 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SharonK
Hi, thought I would jump in too as I am from Newcastle, Staffs! We are heading to Brisbane too! Just waiting for Queensland Health to get back to us regarding a position! We are not sure where we want to go and its great reading everybodies views! Hoping to be out there by the end of the year not sure how realistic that is though

Sharon
Hi Sharon

Welcome to BE. We are in Newcastle too Good luck with you job application.

Joex
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

14) Petrol 60p a litre
60p per litre that's it, cancel the Prius

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.