Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Obscure Rules in Oz

Obscure Rules in Oz

Old Oct 12th 2005, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all
Default Re: Obscure Rules in Oz

Originally Posted by Wahroonga Boy
You must carry booze in the boot of the car or your nicked. Even in a van it must be in the back

not is Adelaide you don't, the bloke in the bottle shop sticks my cartons through the front passenger window all the time.

Jo
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Hi

Check your home insurance policy. If there is a fire caused (and I use this in the losest possible way you know how insurance companies like to get out of claims!) by this electrical equipment that you have altered you will probably find you are not insured.
Thanks for your advice and concern. Actually, I don't think I still have any of those things left now! That was nearly 20 years ago. Maybe just the little hand held food mixer which sees the light of day maybe 3 times a year if it's lucky!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:16 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

You must carry booze in the boot of the car or your nicked. Even in a van it must be in the back
For those that Know ParkRidge area, I was in the bottle shop other night, got my 6 tins of wild, 20 bucks !!! deal huh.

went up slip rd, to park ridge rd, and turned right instead of left to the junction at lights and then waited n turned right onto mt lindsay h.way

30 seconds later ... blue lighted by a 2 wheeled cop !! wan***

Booked me for turnin riht, hands up

60 bucks fine.

He looked into cab, n said have you been suckin on those ?? lookin at my tinnies I said NO WAY mate i swiggem.. he said ok well be careful in future.

Moral dont anyone ffs tell aussie cops what swiggem means LMAO
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:43 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawk2005
Utes, especially the ridiculous low slung streamlined ones with the pathetic spoiler at the back, are to be considered the height of cool by a certain sector of society

The term "battler" to be used when describing someone when "low achiever of very basic intelligence" is what you really mean

If you are a male P plater, you have to drive a rusty old V8 very badly, & you have to wear a stupid baseball cap or beany even in the height of summer.
Female P Platers must text their friends constantly

Whisky & coke, rather than the birds drink that it is, is to be considered the height of sophistication for your typical aussie male

You must take pride in having a big fat noisy exhaust pipe. The fatter & noisier it is the cooler you are

Blokes must highlight their hair at least once in their life - Quentin Crisp seems to be a big role model in Australia

If living in Sydney you must take "pride" rather than being deeply ashamed that your city's contribution to world culture is a parade of dancing homosexuals/transvestites
Hawk2005, now there s an original name, see you at the local nintendo champs..... ...........mm
Old Oct 12th 2005, 2:52 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Have taken Larissa's idea and started a thread that might be useful to us all.

This is following on from my:

'You must park in the direction of the traffic flow or you will get a parking fine. If this saves a couple of people from the $50.00 I've just had to pay that would be great!'

Everyone else. If you know any odd/obscure Oz rules and regulations could you post them here and we can all learn something/have a laugh?!!

Mrs J
Excellent idea for a thread topic, shame it got hijacked and turned into a debate on wether the strange rules and laws were good or not. for my two pennies worth:-

you get fined about $90 for leaving your car unlocked.
You need a certificate and training for using insecticides and herbicides.
your tractor must have a ROPS (roll over protection system) or get a big fine.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

What? At all times??

What if you don't drink??

Is it part of the first aid kit??? (I think I'm going to like it in Oz!!)
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:18 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
and the footpaths here are so wide

That's so that the cafes can put their tables & chairs outside, therefore making the actual passable width of the footpath about 2ft wide
Old Oct 15th 2005, 2:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ
That's so that the cafes can put their tables & chairs outside, therefore making the actual passable width of the footpath about 2ft wide
Actually the footpath I was thinking of are in towns out the back of Woop Woop, where pavement cafes would be viewed with extreme suspicion
Old Oct 15th 2005, 2:23 am
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

[QUOTE=arkon].
You need a certificate and training for using insecticides and herbicides.
[QUOTE]

Same rule in UK..if you are going to use chemicals commercially you have to be trained and have a certificate. Not that it matters to me anymore..I'm just about to start working on an organic estate :-) no chemicals for me....
Old Oct 15th 2005, 2:31 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Carkedit]
Originally Posted by arkon
Not that it matters to me anymore..I'm just about to start working on an organic estate :-) no chemicals for me....
So what do you kill the white ants and other nasties with then? I've tried talking harshly to my white ant lodgers but they have claimed squatters rights and are refusing to go unless I feed them 'Fortune 500' a very nasty insecticide.
Old Oct 15th 2005, 2:33 am
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

[QUOTE=arkon]
Originally Posted by Carkedit
So what do you kill the white ants and other nasties with then? I've tried talking harshly to my white ant lodgers but they have claimed squatters rights and are refusing to go unless I feed them 'Fortune 500' a very nasty insecticide.
I'm still in the UK so no white ants here. You forgot you are in OZ..everything has to be done by people with certificates..you cant do it yourself...
Old Oct 15th 2005, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Try putting Borax around and inside their holes. It's very toxic to ants and animals (and children so be careful), but not harmful to the enironment and it doesn't stay around forever.
Old Oct 15th 2005, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

CRIKEY - this thread is going great guns!!!
Old Oct 15th 2005, 8:16 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by arkon
your tractor must have a ROPS (roll over protection system) or get a big fine.
Must admit, that being a farmer's son, this one is not obscure to me. In the UK, unless the owner is the sole driver of the tractor, they will get fined for not having a ROPS. I should know, I remember having to fit them to my dad's tractors when I was a kid. I also noticed that none of the tractors at the vintage tractor show (here in Aus) had ROPS - there must be some exceptions.

A