Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Objective/Honest opinions needed.

Objective/Honest opinions needed.

Old Jan 9th 2007, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Family5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Objective/Honest opinions needed.

Hi,
This is my first attempt at using this board so hopefully you will bear with me, especially if my post and its content/composition is outside the normal structure and context. - Here goes

My family = wife, three young children.

We have always lived in the Midlands, UK.

We have become totally fed up with the Uk from a political, social, and economic standpoint and a personal but informed view that matters will get much worse over coming years.

We are in the early stages of emigrating to Cairns via Queensland UK nurse recruitment drive. My wife is an NHS Sister (Surgical/Triage). I am a recently retired senior manager in public service.

In researching our future for our children and ourselves there is so much information around that its difficult to maintain focus/balance and perspective. At the moment there are so many positives but there must be some downsides!!. Hopefully this thread may help us and possibly others too.

We would be most grateful to read your opinions, experiences, the best and worst of moving from the UK to Australia and particularly Cairns - or thereabouts. Anything from local politics, crime rates, housing, cost of living etc, etc,. We would be most interested in hearing from people who have mirrored our position.

Thank you.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 3:38 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Objective/Honest opinions needed.

Originally Posted by Family5
Hi,
This is my first attempt at using this board so hopefully you will bear with me, especially if my post and its content/composition is outside the normal structure and context. - Here goes

We have become totally fed up with the Uk from a political, social, and economic standpoint and a personal but informed view that matters will get much worse over coming years.

We are in the early stages of emigrating to Cairns via Queensland UK nurse recruitment drive. My wife is an NHS Sister (Surgical/Triage). I am a recently retired senior manager in public service.

In researching our future for our children and ourselves there is so much information around that its difficult to maintain focus/balance and perspective. At the moment there are so many positives but there must be some downsides!!. Hopefully this thread may help us and possibly others too.

We would be most grateful to read your opinions, experiences, the best and worst of moving from the UK to Australia and particularly Cairns - or thereabouts. Anything from local politics, crime rates, housing, cost of living etc, etc,. We would be most interested in hearing from people who have mirrored our position.

Thank you.
This will probably end in a fight.

This type of thread always does.

Please don't ask for comparisons unless you want an online war

G
Old Jan 9th 2007, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I did indicate my inexperience with this process!!.
I certainly have no wish or desire to start a 'fight'.
Lively, passionate and forthright debate is however always welcome and as such will help us to make good decisions about our future.
Thanks again.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 3:48 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I did indicate my inexperience with this process!!.
I certainly have no wish or desire to start a 'fight'.
Lively, passionate and forthright debate is however always welcome and as such will help us to make good decisions about our future.
Thanks again.

Well make sure you read the 'Moving back to the UK forum' as well.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 3:48 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

It would probably be better if you wanted to go for the pull of Australia rather than push of U.K.
Australia has many of the problemsthat occur in most Western countries so you won't escape it.
However I'm still going because I fancy a change and a bit of adventure and yes - hopefully to improve my families lives.
I always think it's good to read the negatives on this board so we don't turn up with our rose tinted specs on.
Somebody posted on here once that there are the very pro - Oz crew ,the very anti- Oz crew and for most people the truth is probably somewhere in between.

Last edited by Kapri; Jan 9th 2007 at 4:51 pm. Reason: Didn't like my answer when I re-read it.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 3:54 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thank you.
Just thought id say hi as one midlands family to another.............C x
Old Jan 9th 2007, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiels
Welcome to the forum from some more 'Midlanders!!!!' (you'll find there are quite a few on here......wonder why that can be??????????
Old Jan 9th 2007, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shiels
Thank you and curly, your welcome is much appreciated. Always good to link with kindred spirits.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 5:05 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Objective/Honest opinions needed.

Hi,

Thank you.
I live in the Midlands myself, but I'm an Aussie born and bred. I moved to the UK three years ago, and am planning to return at the end of 2008.

On the basis of 33 years Down Under and 3 years in the UK, I have concluded that general comparisons are easily made - but accurate and specific comparisons are far more difficult.

It is almost impossible to draw direct, objective comparisons between a tiny little country like the UK (with a population of 60 million) and a massive, incredibly diverse continent like Australia (with a population of 20 million).

My advice is to visit Australia, spend at least 6 weeks in the country, visit at least two different states, and investigate as many suburbs within your price range as possible.

On your return, don't compare your Australian experiences with the UK as a whole; compare them with your current location (in your case, the Midlands) and draw your own conclusions.

But always remember that there is a vast difference between visiting a country, and living in it.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:36 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I live in the Midlands myself, but I'm an Aussie born and bred. I moved to the UK three years ago, and am planning to return at the end of 2008.

On the basis of 33 years Down Under and 3 years in the UK, I have concluded that general comparisons are easily made - but accurate and specific comparisons are far more difficult.

It is almost impossible to draw direct, objective comparisons between a tiny little country like the UK (with a population of 60 million) and a massive, incredibly diverse continent like Australia (with a population of 20 million).

My advice is to visit Australia, spend at least 6 weeks in the country, visit at least two different states, and investigate as many suburbs within your price range as possible.

On your return, don't compare your Australian experiences with the UK as a whole; compare them with your current location (in your case, the Midlands) and draw your own conclusions.

But always remember that there is a vast difference between visiting a country, and living in it.
Such wise words as always Vash, and you always manage to word it so well. C x
Old Jan 10th 2007, 4:16 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thank you.
There is quite a high percentage who end up returning to the UK, not having found Australia, for many reasons, to their liking. Keeping that in mind then the only piece of advice I would give is do not sell your property, assuming you have one to sell, in the UK. Rent it out. If you can't afford to move here without the capital from your home, remortgage it. Take out a 'buy to let' mortgage and use some of the released capital.

If you sell the lot in the UK, get here and find you hate it, going home to no home is a very expensive mistake to have made.

Its advice I wish I had personally followed.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

I moved to Brisbane 3 years ago with my wife & three kids. People would say to me 'that's a brave move going to Australia when you have never even been for a holiday' to which I would reply 'well it can't be as bad as the West Midlands!' Guess what .... I was right. I didn't choose to live in the Midlands - I was born there.
I feel privalaged to have had this opportunity to move here and allow my children to grow up in an area that we have chosen for the right reasons.
There have been highs & lows as you would expect but to be honest, it was a lot easier than I ever imagined. We feel totally at home here, as this is our home.
Come over, enjoy it, embrace it, be part of it, intergrate into it but most importantly call it home.

cheers

Mark
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

We came out 11 months ago to Perth and its the best move we've ever made.

My 4 year old daughter has taken to it like a duck to water. She has more activities and more time outside than she would ever have in the UK.

One thing about Nursing - my wife was a H Grade Nurse Manager [or Sister] in the UK and has gone back to being a Staff Nurse here. It is frustrating for her in that she considers Oz Nursing to be too policy led and discouraging initiative. [She has opinions on the management as well...]. Having said that, her ward is better staffed that it would be in the UK and better resourced, and at the end of her shift, she can go home and forget about it completely - very unlike her UK role.

Take the plunge and come here. When we originally considered coming here, we decided that it was better to at least try life in Oz, rather than stay in the UK and regret not making the move 20 years later.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doub
I moved to Brisbane 3 years ago with my wife & three kids. People would say to me 'that's a brave move going to Australia when you have never even been for a holiday' to which I would reply 'well it can't be as bad as the West Midlands!' Guess what .... I was right. I didn't choose to live in the Midlands - I was born there.
I feel privalaged to have had this opportunity to move here and allow my children to grow up in an area that we have chosen for the right reasons.
There have been highs & lows as you would expect but to be honest, it was a lot easier than I ever imagined. We feel totally at home here, as this is our home.
Come over, enjoy it, embrace it, be part of it, intergrate into it but most importantly call it home.

cheers

Mark
What Mark said, just about sums it up for me too, in fact I couldn't have put it better myself. (Only difference is I'm in South Australia)
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Thank you.
Hi! my OH is in the same "intake" and we hope to be there by June so...see ya there!

We are fortunate as my OH has been there before (though a long time ago!) on a WHV so we have some, limited, idea of what it may be like.
In our "resrearch" it seems likely to me that tha Aus 'beurocracy' (sp?) is likely to be as bad if not worse, as is there polotics, so no real benefit there!

Also it seems one of the main reasons for returnees is being so far from family and friends, so this is something you need to look at objectively. Also many dont seem to take in the fact that, although it is an english speaking country, it is a different country, with different customs, culture and way of life, not just like being in Manchester or Brum on a hot day!

I think the fact that you are asking these questions show that you realise this and as long as you are willing to embrace a new lifestyle, with all the posotives ...and negatives.. to make the best of it then it can be a posotive move.

The one thing that tempts me most of all is the idea of space! Simple arithmatic...population of the UK..60 million...Queensland..7times the land area population 4 million! (maybe I'm just anti-social!)

If you have any specific questions PM me and I will try and answer them from what research we have been able to put together

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.