Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

O/T - HomeBuyers Reports/Surveys in the UK

O/T - HomeBuyers Reports/Surveys in the UK

Old Jun 1st 2004, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default O/T - HomeBuyers Reports/Surveys in the UK

Sorry, wrong forum...but there's more people browsing this site than 'Moving back to the UK' and thought someone might have some advice!!

I just got a quote from a Chartered Surveyor (not linked to mortgage lender) to do a valuation & full structural survey on a house I'm buying....550 quid + VAT (no pound key on my keyboard at mo). Someone else quoted 580. Thing is, on top of this, I still have to pay the mortgage lender 340 quid for their valuation. If I went this route, I'm paying twice for a valuation. I called the mortgage lender and asked if I could upgrade their valuation to a structural survey and they want 850 quid to do exactly the same job that someone else can do for under 600!!!

Are these my only two options? It seems the mortgage lender charges for the structural survey based on the property value wheras the independant surveyors charge a flat fee (like the guy said, a 4 bed house is a 4 bed house and the work carried out to survey a 4 bed house is the same regardless of whether one house costs twice as much as another in a different area.)

Grrr, so bloody expensive to move house....!
Old Jun 1st 2004, 3:57 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds about right!

All part of the service called......rip off Britain!

Last edited by plumber; Jun 1st 2004 at 4:01 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2004, 4:02 pm
mickj

To get that pound key, use this code:

PRESS ALT KEY down, and PUNCH IN ( 0,1,6,3 )

£

Old Jun 1st 2004, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

shol is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Hiddenpaw
You should contact your lender and ask for a list of their panel surveyors.This is a list of surveying companies that they trust to carry out their valuations.Chose one of the companies on the list to do your structural and they will throw the mortgage val. in for free and the lender will accept it.Thats what we do in London.Hope this helps,I was a mortgage broker for a few years.
Old Jun 1st 2004, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice
Default Re: O/T - HomeBuyers Reports/Surveys in the UK

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Sorry, wrong forum...but there's more people browsing this site than 'Moving back to the UK' and thought someone might have some advice!!

I just got a quote from a Chartered Surveyor (not linked to mortgage lender) to do a valuation & full structural survey on a house I'm buying....550 quid + VAT (no pound key on my keyboard at mo). Someone else quoted 580. Thing is, on top of this, I still have to pay the mortgage lender 340 quid for their valuation. If I went this route, I'm paying twice for a valuation. I called the mortgage lender and asked if I could upgrade their valuation to a structural survey and they want 850 quid to do exactly the same job that someone else can do for under 600!!!

Are these my only two options? It seems the mortgage lender charges for the structural survey based on the property value wheras the independant surveyors charge a flat fee (like the guy said, a 4 bed house is a 4 bed house and the work carried out to survey a 4 bed house is the same regardless of whether one house costs twice as much as another in a different area.)

Grrr, so bloody expensive to move house....!
Can I ask why do you require a structural survey?
Old Jun 1st 2004, 4:14 pm
mickj

Alright china.....whereabouts in london are you from, you did say eastend/essex? Grew up in wapping, but moved to canary wharf when i landed a job in the city.

Originally posted by shol
Hi Hiddenpaw
You should contact your lender and ask for a list of their panel surveyors.This is a list of surveying companies that they trust to carry out their valuations.Chose one of the companies on the list to do your structural and they will throw the mortgage val. in for free and the lender will accept it.Thats what we do in London.Hope this helps,I was a mortgage broker for a few years.

Old Jun 1st 2004, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hiddenpaw
Thanks Shol, I/ve just this minute tried that route. Here's the ludicrous bit, I asked the lender who was on their panel......they won't tell me. BUT, they said if I can find a surveyor on their panel, I can use them as long as they do the valuation on the lender's headed paper. So looks like I'm gonna be busy with the yellow pages phoning every flaming surveyor in the area to see if they are on the panel!!

I'm sure in another conversation the lender mentioned they use Cornalls/Cornhills nationwide???? Any ideas. Can't find them by doing a google search
Old Jun 1st 2004, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Mickj
Canary Wharf ay,knew it when it was the good old isle of dogs!
Born and bred in Hoxton,Shoreditch(before it was trendy)Funny aint it,when I lived there,no one would go near the place,one massive council estate,now it costs an arm and a leg to have a coffee there!
Old Jun 1st 2004, 4:41 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Shol, I/ve just this minute tried that route. Here's the ludicrous bit, I asked the lender who was on their panel......they won't tell me. BUT, they said if I can find a surveyor on their panel, I can use them as long as they do the valuation on the lender's headed paper. So looks like I'm gonna be busy with the yellow pages phoning every flaming surveyor in the area to see if they are on the panel!!

I'm sure in another conversation the lender mentioned they use Cornalls/Cornhills nationwide???? Any ideas. Can't find them by doing a google search
The lender/mortgage company won't tell you who is on the panel and you are offering to pay for and submit a full structual?

Ask to speak to the manager! Obviously threatening to go elsewhere for your loan will not wash for you if you need the present company you are with for the loan. But talking higher up the chain might reap some rewards??

Oh what the shitty mortgage lenders do for pay backs is a pain - and I used to work a long time ago for one of them!

Best of Luck
Old Jun 1st 2004, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
Sorry not answering straight away,on phone trying to sort out problem with mobile,f***ing useless!
Cornhill Insurance used to have their own surveyors,
Old Jun 1st 2004, 5:05 pm
mickj

Know what you mean geezer, even wapping where i was born, is now really upmarket with all your yuppies from outside leaving there, my parents were able to cash in on the house.

Hoxton/Shoreditch you say......its all art galleries now, and clubs like BROWNS. Jamie Oliver also has his new restaurant there.

PUKKA

Mickj
Canary Wharf ay,knew it when it was the good old isle of dogs!
Born and bred in Hoxton,Shoreditch(before it was trendy)Funny aint it,when I lived there,no one would go near the place,one massive council estate,now it costs an arm and a leg to have a coffee there!

Old Jun 1st 2004, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by mickj
Know what you mean geezer, even wapping where i was born, is now really upmarket with all your yuppies from outside leaving there, my parents were able to cash in on the house.

Hoxton/Shoreditch you say......its all art galleries now, and clubs like BROWNS. Jamie Oliver also has his new restaurant there.

PUKKA

You know dont ya son,bet you been in Browns once or twice aint ya!
Old Jun 1st 2004, 5:28 pm
mickj

Not really geezer, but have been to madam JOJO's in soho, and stringfellows a couple of times to watch those fruitcakes

You know dont ya son,bet you been in Browns once or twice aint ya!

Old Jun 1st 2004, 5:42 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mickj
Not really geezer, but have been to madam JOJO's in soho, and stringfellows a couple of times to watch those fruitcakes
No riff raff allowed on this forum!
Old Jun 1st 2004, 5:48 pm
mickj

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.