Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

o.k -how do planes stay in the air?

o.k -how do planes stay in the air?

Old May 19th 2003, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default o.k -how do planes stay in the air?

Hi all,

I am absolutely dreading the flight. Has anyone got words of re-assurance for me? Our bags are so heavy,so many bags and people and food and hand luggage on the flight,how do they stay in the air. Please help,going to have heart failure very soon,going mad!!!! Help.

Pott.

:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old May 19th 2003, 6:50 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

You never heard of Sky Hooks?
Old May 19th 2003, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry, it's all very simple.

As you take off, these thousands of sparrows, who are in the process of migrating, fly under the plane's wings, hold it up and then make sure it doesn't plummit out of the sky, taking you to your destination, which is also where their nests are.

Aside from that (?), I think we all know the stat that it's the safest form of travel - if you've driven today, you've already put yourself at more risk than in a plane.

Good luck!! :scared:
Old May 19th 2003, 6:54 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: o.k -how do planes stay in the air?

Originally posted by pott
Hi all,

I am absolutely dreading the flight. Has anyone got words of re-assurance for me? Our bags are so heavy,so many bags and people and food and hand luggage on the flight,how do they stay in the air. Please help,going to have heart failure very soon,going mad!!!! Help.

Pott.

:scared: :scared: :scared:
Why don't we all shoot off the earth into outer space, it's spinning so fast?

Cheers - Don
Old May 19th 2003, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

just a few psi pressure difference between the upper surface of the wing to the under surface creates the lift

http://www.aa.washington.edu/faculty/eberhardt/lift.htm

that should put your mind at rest....

basically if you look at the sky you will see that planes do indeed fly and most reach their destination a-okay

cheers

richard

of course the odd one crashes and ...........
Old May 19th 2003, 7:00 pm
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

I was petrified of flying, still don't like it too much but whether you worry about it or not if your numbers up your numbers up and to be honest I got fed up with worrying so this is what to do.

1. Go to your doctor and explain the situation and he should be able to prescribe you with a mild sedative, which will calm you down.

2. Watch the in-flight attendants, if they dont look worried then neither should you!!!

3. Read the in-flight mag, it tells you that once the plane has taken off the propelling force makes it impossible for the plane to fall straight out of the air, thats why those flappy bits are soooo important on the wings, they make it go down (technicial I know) and only horrible things i.e. bombs etc make planes fall out of the air.

I know how you feel, unless you are truly scared of flying then you cannot appreciate the sheer terror that the whole thing entails, so be brave, (don't drink it will make it worse) think positive thoughts and you will soon be in australia. Good Luck.

Old May 19th 2003, 7:03 pm
Badge

a few things to bear in mind - it's not the thrust of the prop.

the propeller is just a giant fan to keep the pilot cool.
If it stops, you can literally see him sweat.

badgers

ps

flying is all about luck for a pilot. you start with an empty bag of experience and a full bag of luck. The idea is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.......

Old May 19th 2003, 7:03 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Cruel, You,ll be fine just think how many have made that journey before you, people now making new lifes in Oz and NZ
Old May 19th 2003, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

of course, you could down 20 double gins and a few beers as soon as you get on the plane and you'll wake up in Oz, maybe in a hospital bed, but definitely in Oz, with no memory of flying at all!
Old May 19th 2003, 7:11 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by Gavin B
of course, you could down 20 double gins and a few beers as soon as you get on the plane and you'll wake up in Oz, maybe in a hospital bed, but definitely in Oz, with no memory of flying at all!
Maybe in a prison cell - not a good idea to pinch the steward's bum when you can't see straight any more.

Cheers -Don
Old May 19th 2003, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds like it's happened to you Don!
Old May 19th 2003, 7:13 pm
Don
Banned

Sounds like it's happened to you Don!
How did you know I used to be a steward?
Old May 19th 2003, 7:15 pm
Badge

<QUOTE]

3. Read the in-flight mag, it tells you that once the plane has taken off the propelling force makes it impossible for the plane to fall straight out of the air, thats why those flappy bits are soooo important on the wings, they make it go down (technicial I know) and only horrible things i.e. bombs etc make planes fall out of the air.

or metal fatigue, wake turbulence, wind shear on takeoff/landing, pilot error (most likely of all these), foreign object damage eg. birdstrike BUT ALL UNLIKELY; as for the pilot there are so many computers on a airliner that most of it is all automated. its like flying a bloody pc. i asked a QUANTARSE captain about this and he was embarassed to admit that there is little skill in some of it - they get paid to take over if something does go wrong

once you take off, and are in the climb ....there are few risks..

[/QUOTE]

Old May 19th 2003, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

this is what exactly my brother did on his way to NZ for a friends wedding..he had to be physically carried onto the plane in s.pore by the groundcrew!!

sadly those days are now long gone...

cheers

richard
Old May 19th 2003, 7:23 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by r.bartlett
this is what exactly my brother did on his way to NZ for a friends wedding..he had to be physically carried onto the plane in s.pore by the groundcrew!!

sadly those days are now long gone...

cheers

richard
That's true, they're long gone: it used to be my sleep-technique on long-haul: get rat-arsed, and the flight attendants always had a bit of a laugh with you and kept up the drinks supply until you keeled over (not that I'm one of those get-drunk-get-obnoxious types, more the quiet&sleepy type, which I suppose helped.) Wouldn't try it these days, they'd divert the plane to offload you and charge you twenty grand for the privilege and a police record too.

Cheers - Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.