Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZQA requiring school records?

NZQA requiring school records?

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

jseni01d is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZQA requiring school records?

I just checked out the new NZQA assesment form, which is more snazzy and by the looks of things more detailed than the previous one. (Looks like they spent the 150NZD fee rise on redesigning it!). There's a section on secondary education, where it looks as if everyone has to submit certified documents detailing their school achievements, which seems pretty superfluous if you're applying to have a degree assessed. Is that a new requirement? I don't have a copy of the old form to check.

There's also a section on work experience, also requiring proof. Was that there before? It looks like you now need to send duplicates of virtually all the PR documentation just to get a degree assessed.

John Senior
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 4:27 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: NZQA requiring school records?

With the old form it was sufficient to send proof of your high school/ secondary school graduation - for UK applicants this would normally be O levels and/ or A level certificates as there's normally no other proof.

Yes, you were also asked to send letters of reference to demonstrate work experience but I'm sure the burden of proof required was a lot lighter than for PR.
Old Jul 24th 2002, 12:20 pm
Ian Guy

NZQA are a bit of a nightmare. Unless the qualification that you have closely matches
a Kiwi one they won't necessarily recognise it. An example - our friend had a diploma
in medical administration and had a job as a medical secretary (as well as 10 years
experience and glowing refs). However, there is no such qualification in NZ
(according to NZQA), therefore no points for quals and no PR visa. They came on a
work visa and are applying for PR later.

"newstartnz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > With the old form it was sufficient to send proof of your high school/ secondary
    > school graduation - for UK applicants this would normally be O levels and/ or A
    > level certificates as there's normally no other proof.
    >
    > Yes, you were also asked to send letters of reference to demonstrate work
    > experience but I'm sure the burden of proof required was a lot lighter than for PR.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 24th 2002, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

jseni01d is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ian Guy
NZQA are a bit of a nightmare. Unless the qualification that you have closely matches a Kiwi one they won't necessarily recognise it.
My wife may get caught out like that. She has a 2-year Japanese "degree" in early childhood education, plus relevant work experience, but there's no such thing as a 2-year degree anywhere else as far as I know. We'll be forking out for translation of her certificate etc., plus 350NZD just on the off chance of 1 extra point.

I'm OK for 10 points but still need to fork out 350NZD to see if I can 11 for an honours degree. Theoretically we could end up spending a hell of a lot for no extra points, but I guess that's the way it goes. With any luck, such things will put off a lot of people, the numbers will slump, and then they'll lower the passmark.

John Senior
Old Jul 24th 2002, 1:16 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Univ of Buckingham http://www.buckingham.ac.uk/ runs 2 year undergraduate degree courses which are meant to be as comprehensive/ same level as 3 year courses offered by other UK universities. Could be worth checking if they are on the recognised list as it would be a good precedent.