Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZQA my NVQ3 - no points why?

NZQA my NVQ3 - no points why?

Old Aug 24th 2002, 9:47 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 88
Bryher is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy NZQA my NVQ3 - no points why?

Have just received report from New Zealand Qualifications
Authority on my NVQ 3 -surprised to learn that it was catagorised as Catagory C level 4 (which means no points).
I had expected 10.

I have been a Hotel Reception Supervisor for over 20 years and in 2001 I completed my NVQ3 - I did not do levels 1 and 2 as the college considered that as I had years of experience I could go straight on to level 3. As nvq is a work based qualification, I did the course whilst I was working and it took me 2 years.

The NZQA have stated on my report: "that this qualification is comparable to the educational level of a one year certificate from a NZ Polytechic" and that my qualification was gained "following two years of part-time study".

I was led to understand that NVQ3 was classed as a 'base' qualification which would gain me 10pts.

Have I misunderstood? Do I need NVQ4 or even 5?

Would be grateful for any helpful advice.
Bryher is offline  
Old Aug 24th 2002, 10:02 pm
  #2  
Inverted Firkin Inventor
 
Watt Dabney's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 757
Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZQA my NVQ3 - no points why?

We initially looked at going to NZ via the residence visa. Talks with our migration consultant revealed a general lack of confidence in the reliability and consistency on NZQA decisions, particulary when assessing NVQ's. I too have level 3 only (engineering) and he was unsure wether this would get me the 10 points or wether they would take 3 yrs out of my work experience as an apprentiship period instead. This would have needed to be backed up with very detailed job records etc to demonstrate competence. Maybe you could look at this option. Are you using a consultant ? Our reasons for using one was largely based on this uncertanty.

As it happens partly due to the above and because i was lucky enough to get a job offer we went for the work to residence route which bypasses the points system.

Hope this helps

Ian
Watt Dabney is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2002, 7:52 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Pippa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Kerikeri, Bay of Islands, NZ (was Broadstairs, Kent, UK)
Posts: 112
Pippa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZQA my NVQ3 - no points why?

Originally posted by Watt Dabney:
We initially looked at going to NZ via the residence visa. Talks with our migration consultant revealed a general lack of confidence in the reliability and consistency on NZQA decisions, particulary when assessing NVQ's. I too have level 3 only (engineering) and he was unsure wether this would get me the 10 points or wether they would take 3 yrs out of my work experience as an apprentiship period instead. This would have needed to be backed up with very detailed job records etc to demonstrate competence. Maybe you could look at this option. Are you using a consultant ? Our reasons for using one was largely based on this uncertanty.

As it happens partly due to the above and because i was lucky enough to get a job offer we went for the work to residence route which bypasses the points system.

Hope this helps

Ian
I agree with Ian, if you have any uncertainty employ a good agent to help you, heres the details of ours so you can contact him if you wish (www.globalimmigration.co.nz our man is George Mihaljevich I am sure he can help you)

Just as a matter of interest how long did it take them to assess you? Did you apply for just your qualifications to be assesssed or a partners too ?

We are waiting for ours to come back now and it will be 8 weeks at the end of next week-desperate for them to come back.

Good luck with everything with the right help you'll do it.

Best Wishes

Pippa xx
Pippa is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2002, 9:21 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 88
Bryher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZQA my NVQ3 - no points why?

Originally posted by Watt Dabney:
We initially looked at going to NZ via the residence visa. Talks with our migration consultant revealed a general lack of confidence in the reliability and consistency on NZQA decisions, particulary when assessing NVQ's. I too have level 3 only (engineering) and he was unsure wether this would get me the 10 points or wether they would take 3 yrs out of my work experience as an apprentiship period instead. This would have needed to be backed up with very detailed job records etc to demonstrate competence. Maybe you could look at this option. Are you using a consultant ? Our reasons for using one was largely based on this uncertanty.

As it happens partly due to the above and because i was lucky enough to get a job offer we went for the work to residence route which bypasses the points system.

Hope this helps

Ian

Thank you Ian - we are not using a Consultant, perhaps we should! What happens though if I just want 1 point for 'spouse' qualifiction (work experience does not seem to come into this?) We are still awaiting my husbands report
which if ok he can be principle applicant.

Bryher
Bryher is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2002, 9:38 am
  #5  
Inverted Firkin Inventor
 
Watt Dabney's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 757
Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZQA my NVQ3 - no points why?

Originally posted by Bryher:



Thank you Ian - we are not using a Consultant, perhaps we should! What happens though if I just want 1 point for 'spouse' qualifiction (work experience does not seem to come into this?) We are still awaiting my husbands report
which if ok he can be principle applicant.

Bryher
Hi Bryher,

If your husbands report is favorable, do you need the extra 1 point to get in? Have you looked at getting extra points through settlement funds? Are you aware of the work deferral visa? There are people posting on this site that are using this.
If all else fails I would consult a consultant. It can be an expensive service but if it gets the result! We are using Malcolm Pacific, who will assess you fully without charge and only take on your business if they are totally confident of success.

Good luck

Ian
Watt Dabney is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2002, 9:41 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 88
Bryher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZQA my NVQ3 - no points why?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pippa:


Pippa - thanks for your reply.
Looks like we may have to use a consultant!

The report took just over 8 wks in total.
We sent both mine and my husbands in the same envelope.
They confirmed receipt of them about a week later and I had mine back on Saturday, exactly 8 wks from the DATE on that receipt - my husbands has not come back as yet. Hoping it will be in the next post after the bank holiday.

Hope your results good! Best of Luck
Bryher.
Bryher is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2002, 9:58 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 88
Bryher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZQA my NVQ3 - no points why?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Watt Dabney:


Hi Ian,

Yes we do need the extra point ! and we hope to get the work visa.
i.e. 10pts husbands qualifiction (hopefully) Carpenter (apprenticeship served), 10pts his work experience (no problems there), 2pts settlement funds, plus 1pt spouse qualification = 23 points. Then work visa and then hopefully find a job = 28pts That's the plan anyway!

If this does fail - we will go to plan B! Long Term Temporary Business Visa (i.e. motel/hotel)

We are planning to go out to New Zealand in 2 months so if it looks like we may fail on the General Skills, we will then investigate the Business option whilst we are out there - we are determined to get there one way or another!!

Bryher
Bryher is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2002, 11:26 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Swift Current, SK
Posts: 695
Smokey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NZQA my NVQ3 - no points why?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bryher:
Originally posted by Watt Dabney:


Hi Ian,

Yes we do need the extra point ! and we hope to get the work visa.
i.e. 10pts husbands qualifiction (hopefully) Carpenter (apprenticeship served), 10pts his work experience (no problems there), 2pts settlement funds, plus 1pt spouse qualification = 23 points. Then work visa and then hopefully find a job = 28pts That's the plan anyway!

If this does fail - we will go to plan B! Long Term Temporary Business Visa (i.e. motel/hotel)

We are planning to go out to New Zealand in 2 months so if it looks like we may fail on the General Skills, we will then investigate the Business option whilst we are out there - we are determined to get there one way or another!!

Bryher
Hi Bryher,

it's nice (although with your news, not so nice) to hear from someone in exactly the same situation as ourselves with, amazingly, the same points too!
I was assured by a consultant in AKL that an NVQ 3 should attract 10 points and when you look at the framework criteria it's very similar.
I've been looking at the NZQA site and I was just wondering what exactly you sent as NVQ's don 't seem to fit anywhere for evidence purposes and it's confused me a bit not having transcripts or anything.
If it's not worth assessing then we too bill go down the business route but I'll warn you now (nicely of course) what there is very little advice available out there. i emailed NZIS with a question about previous experience and they came back with what was printed on their web site and 'we can't help with this' comment (hence the NVQ question).
regards,
pat.
Smokey is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2002, 11:35 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Swift Current, SK
Posts: 695
Smokey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NZQA my NVQ3 - no points why?

Originally posted by Watt Dabney:


Hi Bryher,

If your husbands report is favorable, do you need the extra 1 point to get in? Have you looked at getting extra points through settlement funds? Are you aware of the work deferral visa? There are people posting on this site that are using this.
If all else fails I would consult a consultant. It can be an expensive service but if it gets the result! We are using Malcolm Pacific, who will assess you fully without charge and only take on your business if they are totally confident of success.

Good luck

Ian
Ian Hi,

Can you explain what a work deferral visa is??? Is it only for certain categories of workers ir those on the 'wanted' list?? Or is it for those within 5 points of the target??

Pat.
Smokey is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2002, 6:03 pm
  #10  
Inverted Firkin Inventor
 
Watt Dabney's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 757
Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZQA my NVQ3 - no points why?

Originally posted by Smokey:


Ian Hi,

Can you explain what a work deferral visa is??? Is it only for certain categories of workers ir those on the 'wanted' list?? Or is it for those within 5 points of the target??

Pat.
Hi Pat,

I'm sorry, its not called a work deferral visa at all but a job search visa (you know how you have to make up your own language for these things) . It is part of the work to residence policy which includes other options such as the accredited employer (this is what we are using). Have a look at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/workt...dex.html#jspol

Ian
Watt Dabney is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2002, 8:44 pm
  #11  
Emmy & Phil
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: NZQA my NVQ3 - no points why?

You dont have any points for age? Unless you are over 50 you can claim points
for your age.

Emily

"Bryher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Watt Dabney:
    > >
    > >
    > > Hi Ian,
    > >
    > > Yes we do need the extra point ! and we hope to get the work visa.
    > > i.e. 10pts husbands qualifiction (hopefully) Carpenter (apprenticeship served),
    > > 10pts his work experience (no problems there), 2pts settlement funds, plus
    > > 1pt spouse qualification = 23 points. Then work visa and then hopefully
    > > find a job = 28pts That's the plan anyway!
    > >
    > > If this does fail - we will go to plan B! Long Term Temporary Business Visa
    > > (i.e. motel/hotel)
    > >
    > > We are planning to go out to New Zealand in 2 months so if it looks like we may
    > > fail on the General Skills, we will then investigate the Business option whilst
    > > we are out there - we are determined to get there one way or another!!
    > >
    > > Bryher
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
 
Old Aug 25th 2002, 9:00 pm
  #12  
Emmy & Phil
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: NZQA my NVQ3 - no points why?

Job Search Policy for General Skills Category Residence Applicants You are only able
to apply under this policy if you are a principal applicant for residence under the
General Skills category who:

a.. has a points allocation which is within 5 points of the General Skills category
passmark for the week in which your residence application was made, and
b.. have not been awarded points for an offer of employment, and
c.. have met residence policy requirements for health, character and English
language, and
d.. makes an application for a work visa or permit under this policy within one
month of the date of the letter from the NZIS advising you are eligible to apply.
You get a work visa for six months. So you have six months to find a job. If you
get a job you get residence if you dont you go home : (

Emily

"Smokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Watt Dabney:
    > >
    > >
    > > Hi Bryher,
    > >
    > > If your husbands report is favorable, do you need the extra 1 point to get in?
    > > Have you looked at getting extra points through settlement funds? Are you aware
    > > of the work deferral visa? There are people posting on this site that are using
    > > this. If all else fails I would consult a consultant. It can be an expensive
    > > service but if it gets the result! We are using Malcolm Pacific, who will assess
    > > you fully without charge and only take on your business if they are totally
    > > confident of success.
    > >
    > > Good luck
    > >
    > > Ian
    > Ian Hi,
    > Can you explain what a work deferral visa is??? Is it only for certain categories
    > of workers ir those on the 'wanted' list?? Or is it for those within 5 points of
    > the target??
    > Pat.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
 
Old Aug 26th 2002, 10:52 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
lizzie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: lancashire
Posts: 236
lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZQA my NVQ3 - no points why?

Originally posted by Emmy & Phil:
Job Search Policy for General Skills Category Residence Applicants You are only able
to apply under this policy if you are a principal applicant for residence under the
General Skills category who:

a.. has a points allocation which is within 5 points of the General Skills category
passmark for the week in which your residence application was made, and
b.. have not been awarded points for an offer of employment, and
c.. have met residence policy requirements for health, character and English
language, and
d.. makes an application for a work visa or permit under this policy within one
month of the date of the letter from the NZIS advising you are eligible to apply.
You get a work visa for six months. So you have six months to find a job. If you
get a job you get residence if you dont you go home : (

Emily

"

Hi Emily

Just another thought on the work visa application form, it requires that you supply a contact address in New Zealand (family or friends). How did you get round this or do you have contacts in New Zealand? We have some friends in Christchurch so I suppose I could be cheeky and ask them if we could use their address or would a hotel/motel that we are staying at suffice? Any advice would be gratefully received, thanks.

Regards

Lizzie
lizzie is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2002, 8:23 pm
  #14  
Emmy & Phil
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: NZQA my NVQ3 - no points why?

We didn't/don't know anyone so we just put the motel address and that was fine. The
lady at NZIS said that was sufficient.

Emily

"lizzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Emmy & Phil:
    > > Job Search Policy for General Skills Category Residence Applicants You are only
    > > able to apply under this policy if you are a principal applicant for residence
    > > under the General Skills category who:
    > >
    > > a.. has a points allocation which is within 5 points of the General Skills
    > > category passmark for the week in which your residence application was made,
    > > and
    > > b.. have not been awarded points for an offer of employment, and
    > > c.. have met residence policy requirements for health, character and English
    > > language, and
    > > d.. makes an application for a work visa or permit under this policy within one
    > > month of the date of the letter from the NZIS advising you are eligible to
    > > apply. You get a work visa for six months. So you have six months to find a
    > > job. If you get a job you get residence if you dont you go home : (
    > >
    > > Emily
    > >
    > > "
    > >
    > Hi Emily
    > Just another thought on the work visa application form, it requires that you
    > supply a contact address in New Zealand (family or friends). How did you get round
    > this or do you have contacts in New Zealand? We have some friends in Christchurch
    > so I suppose I could be cheeky and ask them if we could use their address or would
    > a hotel/motel that we are staying at suffice? Any advice would be gratefully
    > received, thanks.
    > Regards
    > Lizzie
    > --
    > lizzie
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
 
Old Aug 27th 2002, 9:36 am
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
lizzie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: lancashire
Posts: 236
lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZQA my NVQ3 - no points why?

Originally posted by Emmy & Phil:
We didn't/don't know anyone so we just put the motel address and that was fine. The
lady at NZIS said that was sufficient.

Emily
Thanks Emily, that helps. Although we have friends in NZ I didn't want any to feel as though we are putting on them - by the sheer distance they aren't what you'd call close friends, so I didn't want to panic them into thinking we were landing on their doorstep. If they offer of course that's a different matter!!

How's life in Wellington going?

Lizzie
lizzie is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.