Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZQA and honours degrees

NZQA and honours degrees

Old Jul 5th 2002, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

jseni01d is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZQA and honours degrees

I can get 25 points in the NZ General Skills category, which was great until they hiked the passmark. (This is without a full-time job offer as I intend to work as a freelance translator).

Scrabbling around for an extra point or two from somewhere in case the mark comes down to 26 or 27, I noticed UK Bachelors degrees with honours can sometimes get 11 points instead of 10. Has anyone succeeded in getting 11 points from the NZQA for a BA/BSc with honours?

(Mine's a 4-year BSc. with first class honours from a British university on their list.)

Cheers,
John Senior
Old Jul 5th 2002, 3:15 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: NZQA and honours degrees

I think somebody posted a while back they got 11 points for a Combined Honours language degree from UK Univ, 4 yr course.

The NZQA fee goes up to NZD350 from July 22.

All the best
Old Jul 5th 2002, 8:20 pm
Phil

Default Re: NZQA and honours degrees

Then only way you can really find out how many points you degree is worth, is to send
it off to NZQA. I have a BEng in Chemical Engineering (4 year), and they only gave me
10 points. I know someone with a Masters (5 year) from Oxford who only got 10 points
- NZQA quite frankly are really tight! We figured it was worth a try, but wish we'd
never bothered!!

Best of luck - let the ng know when you get it back!

Oh - and if you want it quickly, you can keep in contact via email with NZQA, hassle
them a bit, and also they were prepared to fax me my report as a matter of urgency,
which was good.

Cheers, Phil

"jseni01d" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I can get 25 points in the NZ General Skills category, which was great until they
    > hiked the passmark. (This is without a full-time job offer as I intend to work as a
    > freelance translator).
    >
    > Scrabbling around for an extra point or two from somewhere in case the mark comes
    > down to 26 or 27, I noticed UK Bachelors degrees with honours can sometimes get 11
    > points instead of 10. Has anyone succeeded in getting 11 points from the NZQA for a
    > BA/BSc with honours?
    >
    > (Mine's a 4-year BSc. with first class honours from a British university on
    > their list.)
    >
    > Cheers, John Senior
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com