Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZIS policy change is now underway

NZIS policy change is now underway

Old Nov 12th 2003, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice
Default NZIS policy change is now underway

FYI everyone, the news following my text is from NZIS website.

Interim policy is immediately suspended.

It would be nice if NZIS was more organised in their communication with the market rather than resorting to giving zero notice and leaving people dumbstruck.

FYI, people waiting today in NZIS offices for their 1pm and later appointments were told that the IGSC closed at midday, and the drop off box was already closed, "so BAD LUCK go away and wait" (my words).

My apologies to those of you may be about to hop into your car to drop off your application and now have to wait. And also to the employers in NZ of course have to wait for more staff, just before Christams peak.....

Diabolical.

Regards

Jamie Smith

12/11/03

Closure of the Interim General Skills Category/General Skills Category
The Minister of Immigration released a media statement advising that the Interim General Skills Category/General Skills Category was closed as of 12 noon today and that the new Skilled Migrant Category will come into effect in mid December 2003.

For further information, please refer to the following:

Q&A Sheet
Pamphlet on the new Skilled Migrant Category
Amendment Circular

Further information on the Skilled Migrant Category will be available in early December. At that time NZIS will provide further details of:

Key extracts from the Skilled Migrant operational policy, eg. criteria concerning 'skilled employment', recognised qualifications, etc.
The fee structure
The date from when NZIS will accept Expressions of Interest
A site map for the new Skilled Migrant component of the New Zealand Immigration Service website
From mid-December, our website will be progressively updated as further details of the Skilled Migrant Category become available.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 7:05 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We are safe now thank god got our visas, but my sister in law sent her application Monday "Special Delivery" and doesnt think it will have got there in time now. Shes in the process of selling their house and they had the job offer but she is going to have to withdraw the sale of her house now because she doesnt know even if they will be invited to apply when the new policies come in.
She has just rung me practically crying down the phone .... I am gutted for her
Old Nov 12th 2003, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

We considered NZ at one point and I remember reading at the time that the NZ Minister of Immigration had made a conscious decision to stop giving reasonable notice periods of changes in Immigration policy / points because last time she gave a month's notice the Dept of Immigration was "inundated with applications during that month" and "was not prepared to have that happen again".

Sounds bloody arrogant to me.

Old Nov 12th 2003, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice

Yes, well it implies that they didn't lapse enough cases in July! So now they've run out of seats to put bums on, employers who are waiting to recruit workers and the migrants themsleves dip out at coming up to NZ's busiest time of year for many businesses.

I fail to see what measurable difference it would make letting applications in the post in through the system or waiting until the end of the day.

Better still, why didn't NZIS signal that they had a quota and then show the declining vacancies left so you'd get an idea whether or not you'd make it before the seats ran out???

Too much common sense???

Sigh....

Originally posted by Sunlover
We considered NZ at one point and I remember reading at the time that the NZ Minister of Immigration had made a conscious decision to stop giving reasonable notice periods of changes in Immigration policy / points because last time she gave a month's notice the Dept of Immigration was "inundated with applications during that month" and "was not prepared to have that happen again".

Sounds bloody arrogant to me.

Old Nov 12th 2003, 8:47 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Looks like we'll probably be going back to the UK

If there was ever a policy to nail a coffin, it looks like this is it. We were about to put in a PR application (this Friday) as the wife had a job offer last week, and it gave us 32 points...but this announcement means that we probably won't be invited as her skills & quals will be lucky to fall under the NZIS "want list" (degree in German and Spanish)..

Think yoursleves lucky, we sold everything (and lost money on a lot of it to get rid), and headed out here 5 weeks ago. With the job offer, we were sorted, now we have to make plans to return as the chances of us being able to stay are slim. I have a business plan in to set up a business, but by the time it's processed, likelihood is that we'll have spent a chunk of the money we need to meet the LTBV criteria earning only one wage, and my contacts will be bored with my "I'm sure I can work soon" patter...already, work I could readily do is being sent to Auckland, so Wellington is losing business when the NZIS apparently wants to attract skills away from Auckland, (I'm a guitar repairer / luthier). It was a gamble to get in on the Gen Skills, and one we took as at the time December was mooted as the point of change, and we comfortably fell within that . However, today's shock announcement has put pay to that, and we have the LTBV only as a chance to hang in here. Do we cut our losses and come back with as much UK cash as we can (have intact) or do we hang out for 6 months now waiting for the LTBV to be approved (hopefully) and rip into that cash by at least seeing some of NZ now (and then if we get approval, borrow from relatives to qualify and then give it back) or have the wife work like mad to possibly end up with a no anyway.

Chances are, we'll probably have a 6 month holiday and then return to the UK with a lot less than we left with....at least I can then pick my UK customer base back up...

Rich.

Last edited by theguitardoctor; Nov 12th 2003 at 8:57 am.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, even Andrew Lockhart was saying come out here and look for a job. You can expect NZIS to say that they specifically didn't mean to say to sell up and come out with fingers crossed, on the other hand that's a pioneering spirit being shown isn't it?

I'd suggest that you contact your LTBV case officer and explain things to him/her, see if they can give some degree of priority on basis of special needs and entirely at case officer discretion.

Some will say OK, some will say you took too big a gamble.

You could consider tabling some sworn statements from your future customers in NZ, supporting your application for LTBV and showing pent up demand. Might also work for any subsequent Skilled application too.

Good luck.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:07 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jamie,

Pioneering spirit or bloody stupidity...you pick..

Thanks for the advice...I'll work on it. Trouble is musicians are hardly the most motivated of people ... after all, if they were they'd get up before noon!!

I'll try pushing for assistance though and approaching a case officer..my direct experience with them has shown one occasion of no help whatsoever and a curt face to face response, on the other I got lucky and met a really nice case officer.....I'll try asking for her by name.

Rich.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:11 am
Life's next chapter is?

Under the new Skilled Migrant Category, people will be able to register expressions of interest from mid-December. Their expressions will be pooled and ranked according to points, with those achieving the highest points being invited to apply for residence. This will ensure that industries or REGIONS experiencing skill shortages and growth will be able to have their needs met first.

Does this mean that even those who qualify will be told which region they can work in rather than chossing where in NZ they wish to reside?

Doesn't surprise me now...

Rich
Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone seems to be forgetting that NZ's WORK PERMIT POLICY HASN'T CHANGED. It is perfectly feasible to come to NZ, look for work on a visitor or WHV, apply for a Work Permit & work in NZ for a few years before applying for PR under the SMC.

If you have a look at the 'pamphlet' regarding the new policy on the NZIS site, you'll see that someone who has worked in NZ for over 12 months gets SIXTY POINTS. As they are already working, and contributing to NZ I imagine the chances of getting PR under SMC would be pretty good.

For those who think they might be marginal with the new SMC policy, I think this is definitely the way to go.

Rgds,

Russ
Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

A good steady hand coming through there, Britboy.

I agree that the basic concept of getting in is unchanged but the process and criteria are the issue.

The festering sore is NZIS communication - there hasn't really been any.

Hardly confidence building at a time the numbers are falling and Uk is opening it's a bit door wider.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:19 am
Life's next chapter is?

Originally posted by BritboyNZ
Everyone seems to be forgetting that NZ's WORK PERMIT POLICY HASN'T CHANGED. It is perfectly feasible to come to NZ, look for work on a visitor or WHV, apply for a Work Permit & work in NZ for a few years before applying for PR under the SMC.

If you have a look at the 'pamphlet' regarding the new policy on the NZIS site, you'll see that someone who has worked in NZ for over 12 months gets SIXTY POINTS. As they are already working, and contributing to NZ I imagine the chances of getting PR under SMC would be pretty good.

For those who think they might be marginal with the new SMC policy, I think this is definitely the way to go.

Rgds,

Russ
For now - how long til they close this loophole?

Rich.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jamie Smith
A good steady hand coming through there, Britboy.

I agree that the basic concept of getting in is unchanged but the process and criteria are the issue.

The festering sore is NZIS communication - there hasn't really been any.

Hardly confidence building at a time the numbers are falling and Uk is opening it's a bit door wider.
I think this is the way NZIS wants things to go anyway - show that you can integrate and start contributing to NZ then we'll let you stay, the so called 'good settlement outcomes' that they keep refering to.

But are the numbers really falling though? Seems to me that even since NZIS killed off Gen Skills in July and insisted that all IGSC applicants must have a job offer there obviously hasn't been a let up in the numbers they were expecting, hence todays announcement.

I would be extremely pissed off if I were about to lodge an application to have the rug pulled under my feet at the last minute.

If I were Rich I'd get down to NZIS and apply for a work permit (as you've already got medicals and a police cert they should in theory give you a work permit for upto 3yrs). Obviously I don't know whether your wifes occupation is on the OSL so they may well want proof that no NZ'ers were available to do the job (her employer may be able to help out here).

Rgds,

Russ
Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:48 am
Life's next chapter is?

Yes,

We could go down this road, but it has to be a job offer from an Accredited employer for this to stick as work to residency, it may give us higher points under the new system, but you can see how vague the policy is - basically it allows the NZIS to cherry pick those it most wants in the country, and with all the will in the world, without a job that requires German, French or Spanish languages it's not viable - a job at StarMart just won't cut it....

The accredited employers are few and far between and there certainly don't tend to be a mass number of these outside of Auckland that the wife could reasonably work for, and it has to pay a min salary of $45,000 and be for more than 2 years in contract length to qualify..

I would alternatively need a job offer (not enough business in any single shop, hence no job offers available - as self employed I deal with a number) in order for us to get the work permit, or I could just come here, get the permit and set up as self employed - there must be something to stop this, or no-one would bother with an LTBV application...Jamie probaly knows this one...

Rich.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looks like we'll probably be going back to the UK

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
If there was ever a policy to nail a coffin, it looks like this is it. We were about to put in a PR application (this Friday) as the wife had a job offer last week, and it gave us 32 points...but this announcement means that we probably won't be invited as her skills & quals will be lucky to fall under the NZIS "want list" (degree in German and Spanish)..
I could be wrong about this but I think you'd still have a good chance with the new category. Looking at the new points table it seems that extra points are given to skill shortages, but a job offer is still acceptable if for a skilled position & not just a shortage? so you could still apply? I can't see them only inviting people from the OSL, wouldn't think they'd meet the quota. With her offer, if it is a skilled job, then you'd have a fairly high score..

Don't give up mate, follow the advice from Russ if you can & have a look at the SMC in Dec.

Good luck, Gra..
Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by theguitardoctor

We could go down this road, but it has to be a job offer from an Accredited employer for this to stick as work to residency,
You don't need to look at Work to Res, just a general work permit.. then an independant PR application later on..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.