Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZIS points to change in June?

NZIS points to change in June?

Old May 28th 2003, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZIS points to change in June?

Am I right in thinking the Skills points is changing from 29 next month?

If so what day?

and do people think higher or lower?
Old May 28th 2003, 3:56 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

No info posted yet by NZIS.

I reckon a point or 2 down is imminent.

Cheers - Don
Old May 29th 2003, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

jseni01d is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily

Cheers - Don
Mmm, here's hoping. I doubt they'll change anything til July 1st, though.

John
Old May 29th 2003, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

We will be very interested to know if the points will be changing and hopfully dropping.

PF
Old May 29th 2003, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers - Don
What makes you think that Don?

How long you got left?
Old May 29th 2003, 12:34 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
What makes you think that Don?
Because NZIS won't fulfil next year's (from July 2003) immigration quota if nothing changes. Something has to change: quota, success criteria, points passmark, policy etc. Easiest is points passmark - 29 is too high esp now IELTS requirement is higher.

Cheers - Don
Old May 29th 2003, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Because NZIS won't fulfil next year's (from July 2003) immigration quota if nothing changes. Something has to change: quota, success criteria, points passmark, policy etc. Easiest is points passmark - 29 is too high esp now IELTS requirement is higher.

Cheers - Don
How much of a shortfall is there?

Whats the IELTS acronym?

Are you nearly there with you visa?
Old May 30th 2003, 2:23 am
Don
Banned

How much of a shortfall is there?

Whats the IELTS acronym?

Are you nearly there with you visa?
IELTS is the internationally recognised English language examination board.

Shortfull for next year is unknown! But there would be a big one for Gen Skills quota if points passmark stayed at 29.

We already got our PR visas.

Cheers - Don
Old May 31st 2003, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers - Don
I wouldn't be so sure about that Don - I reckon the passmark will stay at 29 for awhile yet. Remember NZIS Lost the court case to NZAMI which means that thousands of PR applicants who were hoping to get JSV's may very well get them now. PR isn't technically granted to a person with a JSV until they are successful in obtaining a job offer that is acceptable to NZIS so it will take time for those applicants to 'filter through' the system.

Some will go home despondent after not being able to find work in 6 months, others will be successful and they will increase this years (ie 2003/4) total approvals. Obviously NZIS has no idea how many will end up staying, so I think it will be cautious and hold off awhile rather than start dropping the passmark & have huge numbers of applicants swamp the system as happened last year. There is also a large backlog of applications still in the system at the moment, which they will want to reduce. I really can't see NZIS dropping the passmark in a few weeks time, only to add to the backlog.

When the passmark comes down (as it eventually will) it will be in small increments of 1 point so they can see how this affects the number of applications lodged. They may also appeal the NZAMI decision, which means those affected applicants go back into a holding pattern (and months more uncertainty until the case is decided either way).

One thing is certain though - NZIS don't want a repeat of the public backlash/PR disaster last year. They will be more cautious from now methinks.

Russ
Old May 31st 2003, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

jseni01d is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by BritboyNZ
I wouldn't be so sure about that Don - I reckon the passmark will stay at 29 for awhile yet. Remember NZIS Lost the court case to NZAMI which means that thousands of PR applicants who were hoping to get JSV's may very well get them now. PR isn't technically granted to a person with a JSV until they are successful in obtaining a job offer that is acceptable to NZIS so it will take time for those applicants to 'filter through' the system.

One thing is certain though - NZIS don't want a repeat of the public backlash/PR disaster last year. They will be more cautious from now methinks.

Russ
I'm afraid I have to agree with Russ. Faced with a choice between a shortfall and a bigger backlog, there's no prizes for guessing which they'd choose. There's even a political case to be made for deliberately engineering a shortfall to appear "tough" on imigration.

I reckon they'll set a lower quota for 2003-04, perhaps 40,000 instead of 45,000, and keep the passmark at 29. It won't come down until the court case is finally settled, the backlog is almost gone, AND they have room to spare in the quota. Perhaps early 2004?

Hope I'm wrong and Don's right, though!

John
Old May 31st 2003, 6:26 pm
Don
Banned

Well I'm no Gypsy Rose Lee and maybe you're both right of course, only the 'StarDazer' Mrs Daziel knows the score.

Stand by my earlier comments though, ie that in political strategy, the government needs good net immigration figures into NZ to help show decent economic progress.

Cheers - Don
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Well I'm no Gypsy Rose Lee and maybe you're both right of course, only the 'StarDazer' Mrs Daziel knows the score.

Stand by my earlier comments though, ie that in political strategy, the government needs good net immigration figures into NZ to help show decent economic progress.

Cheers - Don
Agree with your last comments in this post. NZ needs good skilled immigrants to grow economically. There seems to be thousands of skilled quality Brits chomping on thebit to get into NZ and yet its pretty bloody hard to without a job offer
I personally think skilled people coming into a Country with suffient funds not to be realiant on the government for a period of 2-3yrs is a pretty safe emigrant to accept. Needing a degree(10-12pts) and aiming for the 25-35 age bracket is not as important as actual working experience and money being brought with the applicants.
I hope in this month they drop the points a tad, but I think the whole points system needs looking at IMO. Plenty of quality skilled individuals are not getting in that would be a great asset in moving NZ into a better prosperous Country.
We probably all have our opinions on this topic.

Last edited by GetMeOutOfHere; Jun 2nd 2003 at 9:29 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 6:19 pm
Don
Banned

Agree with your last comments in this post. NZ needs good skilled immigrants to grow economically. There seems to be thousands of skilled quality Brits chomping on thebit to get into NZ and yet its pretty bloody hard to without a job offer
I personally think skilled people coming into a Country with suffient funds not to be realiant on the government for a period of 2-3yrs is a pretty safe emigrant to accept. Needing a degree(10-12pts) and aiming for the 25-35 age bracket is not as important as actual working experience and money being brought with the applicants.
I hope in this month they drop the points a tad, but I think the whole points system needs looking at IMO. Plenty of quality skilled individuals are not getting in that would be a great asset in moving NZ into a better prosperous Country.
We probably all have our opinions on this topic.
Well quite a few people think that in due course now the IELTS English language requirement has gone up, the points passmark can come down. Net effect will be more European immigrants. Purely to ensure better settlement outcomes.

Cheers - Don
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well quite a few people think that in due course now the IELTS English language requirement has gone up, the points passmark can come down. Net effect will be more European immigrants. Purely to ensure better settlement outcomes.

Cheers - Don
Don, any idea when in June we can expect an announcement from NZIS?
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 4:17 pm
Don
Banned

No, they are a bit erratic.

Fees are up though http://www.immigration.govt.nz/resea...nz-dollars.pdf

Cheers - Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.