Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ-What should we do on arrival?

NZ-What should we do on arrival?

Old Oct 17th 2002, 8:37 am
  #1  
Inverted Firkin Inventor
Thread Starter
 
Watt Dabney's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 757
Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default NZ-What should we do on arrival?

Hi all,

We will be arriving in NZ on 7/11/02 and I'm just trying to get my head round what we should do when we arrive. You know all the official stuff like Tax number, healthcare provision, finding a doctor, driving license and any other official bodies that need to know of our arrival.
Just trying to get organised as we haven't got much time left and we won't have much time when we arrive as we get there on the Thursday and Ian has got to start work on the Monday

Thanx in advance

Paula
Watt Dabney is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2002, 11:34 am
  #2  
JPW
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 68
JPW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ-What should we do on arrival?

Firstly congrats on getting a job lined up and your immineent arrival!!! You must be so excited!

I'm not really sure of everything you ned to take care of as I'm a Citizen (in the UK at moment) but things I've looked into re driving license and tax might be handy.

I'm pretty sure with the driving licence you are ok for at least a few months if not a year - so you can relax about that one in the short term - then ask around.

re the tax thingy - I think you need an IRD number - details of the ins and outs can be found at:
http://www.ird.govt.nz/

The other things you MUST do on arrival - get a bottle of L&P. Buy some feijoa's!! and enjoy!

Good luck - please do keep us all informed of your progress!

J
JPW is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2002, 12:24 am
  #3  
JWW
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 186
JWW will become famous soon enough
Default Re: NZ-What should we do on arrival?

Originally posted by Watt Dabney:
Hi all,

We will be arriving in NZ on 7/11/02 and I'm just trying to get my head round what we should do when we arrive. You know all the official stuff like Tax number, healthcare provision, finding a doctor, driving license and any other official bodies that need to know of our arrival.
Just trying to get organised as we haven't got much time left and we won't have much time when we arrive as we get there on the Thursday and Ian has got to start work on the Monday

Thanx in advance

Paula
Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about IRD numbers and the like. Ian will get a form to fill in on his first day at work and it will take about a week to come through.

You can drive on a UK License for a year and when you decide on an area join at the local doctors. Until then there is a 24 hour clinic on Bealey Ave, just north of the square and the main hospital is just to the west by Hagley Park. I think you can walk into any doctors and get treatment anyway.

The main thing will be to get a hire car and some temp accomodation sorted.

Cheers

John.
JWW is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2002, 12:33 am
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
BritboyNZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 604
BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ-What should we do on arrival?

Originally posted by Watt Dabney:
Hi all,

We will be arriving in NZ on 7/11/02 and I'm just trying to get my head round what we should do when we arrive. You know all the official stuff like Tax number, healthcare provision, finding a doctor, driving license and any other official bodies that need to know of our arrival.
Just trying to get organised as we haven't got much time left and we won't have much time when we arrive as we get there on the Thursday and Ian has got to start work on the Monday

Thanx in advance

Paula
Congratulations & hope the move to NZ works out for you!

Regarding the mundane stuff like tax numbers, you will need to apply for this from the IRD as soon as possible as #1 says - your employer will ask for this (probably on the first day) although you are allowed to work without one, you just pay more tax (a lot more!) until you provide them with the number. Takes about 2 weeks for the IRD to process. The form is on the website somewhere

As for driving, you are allowed to drive on your UK licence for upto 1 year from the date of arrival, then you will need to convert your UK licence to a NZ licence (although there is nothing to stop you doing this earlier). Its pretty simple - all you have to do is sit a theory test, fill out a form & bring your passport/UK Licence/appln fee when you apply. The AA (weird, I know!) administers the tests / accepts applications on behalf of the LTSA. One thing to beware of though, in NZ we have a very strange give way rule - if you are turning left (at traffic lights/junction/driveway etc) and someone coming the otherway also wants to turn left (ie their right) YOU have to stop and give way to them!! No one told me about this when I first arrived - nearly wrote the car off on the first day! Take a look at www.ltsa.govt.nz & www.aa.co.nz it's explained quite well on there.

Another thing you'll need to do is open a bank account of some sort - banking in NZ is Not free, unlike the UK (unless you can keep anything from $2000 - $5000 in your account, depending on the bank). You get charged a transaction fee of around 0.25c per transaction for automated transactions (ie EFTPOS, ATM withdrawals) & usually more for 'manual' transactions like branch withdrawals. These charges vary from bank to bank, so shop around & compare banks before you commit yourself. EFTPOS is very widespread in NZ - allmost every retailer has an EFTPOS machine which has a small keypad you punch in your PIN number to authorise the transaction. The cash gets debited from your account immediately, so you always know how much is left in your a/c. Major banks in NZ are the National bank, ANZ, Bank of New Zealand (BNZ), Westpac Trust, ASB, & smaller outfits like Bank Direct, PSIS, Southern Cross Building Society. Personally I'm with ASB & have the usual bank account + credit card, their customer service is very good, & I've never had any problems with them yet.

Medical stuff - we don't have the same comprehensive cover in NZ the NHS provides in the UK - visits to a doctor aren't free and you'll have to pay for these (usually $25-$40 per visit). Everyone in NZ is covered by the ACC (Accident Compenstaion Corporation) which is a govt. body that provides accident insurance to everyone, however it doesn't cover illnesses or anything non accidental & the amount they pay out is limited (ie for some things they only pay a percentage of your treatment costs) so I strongly recommend taking out health insurance. Take a look at www.acc.govt.nz There are many good doctors / dentists around - in Auckland I'm with CityMed medical practice on Albert St, and use Albert Street Dental Care (also on Albert Street) Both have provided excellent care when I needed them (had to have 4 wisdom teeth out last year!!).

Can't think of any more 'mundane' stuff, at the moment - good luck in NZ, hope everything goes well for you.

Regards,

Russ
BritboyNZ is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2002, 5:43 am
  #5  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Devonport, Auckland
Posts: 28
Ken Waller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ-What should we do on arrival?

Congrats also - you're gonna love it here, and with the added security of having a job already, that is a large hurdle overcome.

Just a little observation - I see that you are from Kidderminster. We have been out here for two months now (in Devonport, Auckland), having emigrated from Bewdley, just up the road from Kidderminster. Prior to this we lived in Kiddy for 5 years, and to be honest to now be 12,000 miles from Kidderminster is just about the right distance! (I speak for myself here - I'm an Essex bloke originally, and nver really settled in Worcs.)

I hope you settle in well, and if you need any help or assistance post it up here, there's always lots of people willing to pass on any info they can.

Ken & Vicky
Ken Waller is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2002, 8:39 am
  #6  
Inverted Firkin Inventor
Thread Starter
 
Watt Dabney's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 757
Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZ-What should we do on arrival?

Originally posted by JWW:


Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about IRD numbers and the like. Ian will get a form to fill in on his first day at work and it will take about a week to come through.

You can drive on a UK License for a year and when you decide on an area join at the local doctors. Until then there is a 24 hour clinic on Bealey Ave, just north of the square and the main hospital is just to the west by Hagley Park. I think you can walk into any doctors and get treatment anyway.

The main thing will be to get a hire car and some temp accomodation sorted.

Cheers

John.

Thanks John,

I thught he would be able to get an IRD number through work but i still need to get one for myself sometime, although as he is starting work so quickly a lot of the settling arrangements will be left to me, so I don't think I'll have time to sort a job in the first 6mths. Am I right in assuming that most big employers offer a healthcare scheme through work? We haven't checked this out with Ians employer yet.
As for car/accomodation the company have said they will sort out something furnished and a hire car for 4/5 weeks, till our stuff arrives on 9/12/02. So I will be looking for something unfurnished from about that date.
It's getting really close now sometimes I feel very organised and sometimes I feel totally unprepared

Can't wait to get there

Paula
Watt Dabney is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2002, 8:48 am
  #7  
Inverted Firkin Inventor
Thread Starter
 
Watt Dabney's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 757
Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZ-What should we do on arrival?

Originally posted by BritboyNZ:


Congratulations & hope the move to NZ works out for you!

Regarding the mundane stuff like tax numbers, you will need to apply for this from the IRD as soon as possible as #1 says - your employer will ask for this (probably on the first day) although you are allowed to work without one, you just pay more tax (a lot more!) until you provide them with the number. Takes about 2 weeks for the IRD to process. The form is on the website somewhere

As for driving, you are allowed to drive on your UK licence for upto 1 year from the date of arrival, then you will need to convert your UK licence to a NZ licence (although there is nothing to stop you doing this earlier). Its pretty simple - all you have to do is sit a theory test, fill out a form & bring your passport/UK Licence/appln fee when you apply. The AA (weird, I know!) administers the tests / accepts applications on behalf of the LTSA. One thing to beware of though, in NZ we have a very strange give way rule - if you are turning left (at traffic lights/junction/driveway etc) and someone coming the otherway also wants to turn left (ie their right) YOU have to stop and give way to them!! No one told me about this when I first arrived - nearly wrote the car off on the first day! Take a look at www.ltsa.govt.nz & www.aa.co.nz it's explained quite well on there.

Another thing you'll need to do is open a bank account of some sort - banking in NZ is Not free, unlike the UK (unless you can keep anything from $2000 - $5000 in your account, depending on the bank). You get charged a transaction fee of around 0.25c per transaction for automated transactions (ie EFTPOS, ATM withdrawals) & usually more for 'manual' transactions like branch withdrawals. These charges vary from bank to bank, so shop around & compare banks before you commit yourself. EFTPOS is very widespread in NZ - allmost every retailer has an EFTPOS machine which has a small keypad you punch in your PIN number to authorise the transaction. The cash gets debited from your account immediately, so you always know how much is left in your a/c. Major banks in NZ are the National bank, ANZ, Bank of New Zealand (BNZ), Westpac Trust, ASB, & smaller outfits like Bank Direct, PSIS, Southern Cross Building Society. Personally I'm with ASB & have the usual bank account + credit card, their customer service is very good, & I've never had any problems with them yet.

Medical stuff - we don't have the same comprehensive cover in NZ the NHS provides in the UK - visits to a doctor aren't free and you'll have to pay for these (usually $25-$40 per visit). Everyone in NZ is covered by the ACC (Accident Compenstaion Corporation) which is a govt. body that provides accident insurance to everyone, however it doesn't cover illnesses or anything non accidental & the amount they pay out is limited (ie for some things they only pay a percentage of your treatment costs) so I strongly recommend taking out health insurance. Take a look at www.acc.govt.nz There are many good doctors / dentists around - in Auckland I'm with CityMed medical practice on Albert St, and use Albert Street Dental Care (also on Albert Street) Both have provided excellent care when I needed them (had to have 4 wisdom teeth out last year!!).

Can't think of any more 'mundane' stuff, at the moment - good luck in NZ, hope everything goes well for you.

Regards,

Russ

Thanks Russ,

We will ask Ians employer about an IRD number.
I had heard about the strange give way rule. We will need to gen up on the NZ highwaycode. Can you buy copies of this in main newsagents and the like or should I contact the AA to supply me with one for a little light reading.
We have already applied for a bank account with National bank we are just waiting for a reply any day now.
As for medical ins we will have to see if Ians employer offers a scheme or maybe shop around for a good policy?

thanks for your help
Paula
Watt Dabney is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2002, 8:59 am
  #8  
Inverted Firkin Inventor
Thread Starter
 
Watt Dabney's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 757
Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZ-What should we do on arrival?

Originally posted by Ken Waller:
Congrats also - you're gonna love it here, and with the added security of having a job already, that is a large hurdle overcome.

Just a little observation - I see that you are from Kidderminster. We have been out here for two months now (in Devonport, Auckland), having emigrated from Bewdley, just up the road from Kidderminster. Prior to this we lived in Kiddy for 5 years, and to be honest to now be 12,000 miles from Kidderminster is just about the right distance! (I speak for myself here - I'm an Essex bloke originally, and nver really settled in Worcs.)

I hope you settle in well, and if you need any help or assistance post it up here, there's always lots of people willing to pass on any info they can.

Ken & Vicky
Hi Ken,

LOL your quote about Kidderminster hit the nail on the head
Here is a little info which speaks volumes in my childrens small school of approx 220 pupils, there are 2 families moving to NZ, 1 family moving to OZ, 1 family moving to Spain and another family preparing their application to NZ ! need I say more about life in Shittyminster oops sorry Kidderminster.

We are moving to Christchurch, as Ian had an offer of employment with his current employer Brintons who I'm sure you know if you lived in Kiddy.

Not long to go now flying 5/11

Cheers

Paula
Watt Dabney is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2002, 11:03 am
  #9  
Ian Guy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: NZ-What should we do on arrival?

Spot on re. IRD - DO NOT get paid till your employer has the digits! The
form is easy and downloadable and the number comes in about a week (NB at
the end of the tax year you will be able to make a claim as you will not
have done a full year). If they do pay you, thenyou'll be charged at upper
rate for the rest of the year.

GP's - ask your future colleagues for advice, they'll know the good and the
bad.

Driving licence - just done mine - 32 out of 35 is the pass. It is a bit
like a scratch card lotto ticket - you scrape the answer - if it is right
there is a tick, and wrong a cross. I had 32 and had 3 that I missed because
I was unsure - and got all 3 wrong. Buy the latest version of the road code
from any book shop or the AA. Test cost NZ$84, licence through in about a
fortnight (photocard - must be carried at all times) You have 30 mins to do
the 35 questions. Some are four choices, some yes and no. About 10 relate to
things in the code, 10 relate to who has right of way (it is very pcitorial)
, 10 are to do with vehicle things like tyre depths, where is your WOF
sticker, can't remember what the exact numbers were. To do your test you
need your UK licence and your passport and a bill or bank statement as proof
of address.

What to do - buy a 12 pack of Speights from the cold store and enjoy!


"BritboyNZ" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
.com
...
    > Originally posted by Watt Dabney:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > We will be arriving in NZ on 7/11/02 and I'm just trying to get my
    > > head round what we should do when we arrive. You know all the official
    > > stuff like Tax number, healthcare provision, finding a doctor, driving
    > > license and any other official bodies that need to know of our
    > > arrival.
    > > Just trying to get organised as we haven't got much time left and we
    > > won't have much time when we arrive as we get there on the Thursday
    > > and Ian has got to start work on the Monday
    > >
    > > Thanx in advance
    > >
    > > Paula
    > Congratulations & hope the move to NZ works out for you!
    > Regarding the mundane stuff like tax numbers, you will need to apply for
    > this from the IRD as soon as possible as #1 says - your employer will
    > ask for this (probably on the first day) although you are allowed to
    > work without one, you just pay more tax (a lot more!) until you provide
    > them with the number. Takes about 2 weeks for the IRD to process. The
    > form is on the website somewhere
    > As for driving, you are allowed to drive on your UK licence for upto 1
    > year from the date of arrival, then you will need to convert your UK
    > licence to a NZ licence (although there is nothing to stop you doing
    > this earlier). Its pretty simple - all you have to do is sit a theory
    > test, fill out a form & bring your passport/UK Licence/appln fee when
    > you apply. The AA (weird, I know!) administers the tests / accepts
    > applications on behalf of the LTSA. One thing to beware of though, in
    > NZ we have a very strange give way rule - if you are turning left (at
    > traffic lights/junction/driveway etc) and someone coming the otherway
    > also wants to turn left (ie their right) YOU have to stop and give way
    > to them!! No one told me about this when I first arrived - nearly wrote
    > the car off on the first day! Take a look at
    > www.ltsa.govt.nz[/url] & ]www.aa.co.nz it's explained
    > quite well on there.
    > Another thing you'll need to do is open a bank account of some sort -
    > banking in NZ is Not free, unlike the UK (unless you can keep anything
    > from $2000 - $5000 in your account, depending on the bank). You get
    > charged a transaction fee of around 0.25c per transaction for automated
    > transactions (ie EFTPOS, ATM withdrawals) & usually more for 'manual'
    > transactions like branch withdrawals. These charges vary from bank to
    > bank, so shop around & compare banks before you commit yourself.
    > EFTPOS is very widespread in NZ - allmost every retailer has an EFTPOS
    > machine which has a small keypad you punch in your PIN number to
    > authorise the transaction. The cash gets debited from your account
    > immediately, so you always know how much is left in your a/c. Major
    > banks in NZ are the National bank, ANZ, Bank of New Zealand (BNZ),
    > Westpac Trust, ASB, & smaller outfits like Bank Direct, PSIS, Southern
    > Cross Building Society. Personally I'm with ASB & have the usual bank
    > account + credit card, their customer service is very good, & I've
    > never had any problems with them yet.
    > Medical stuff - we don't have the same comprehensive cover in NZ the NHS
    > provides in the UK - visits to a doctor aren't free and you'll have to
    > pay for these (usually $25-$40 per visit). Everyone in NZ is covered by
    > the ACC (Accident Compenstaion Corporation) which is a govt. body that
    > provides accident insurance to everyone, however it doesn't cover
    > illnesses or anything non accidental & the amount they pay out is
    > limited (ie for some things they only pay a percentage of your treatment
    > costs) so I strongly recommend taking out health insurance. Take a look
    > at www.acc.govt.nz There are many good doctors / dentists
    > around - in Auckland I'm with CityMed medical practice on Albert St, and
    > use Albert Street Dental Care (also on Albert Street) Both have
    > provided excellent care when I needed them (had to have 4 wisdom teeth
    > out last year!!).
    > Can't think of any more 'mundane' stuff, at the moment - good luck in
    > NZ, hope everything goes well for you.
    > Regards,
    > Russ
    > --
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.