Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ - What can you hire while waiting for container

NZ - What can you hire while waiting for container

Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:51 pm
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ - What can you hire while waiting for container

Just had a thought, OK I know you can hire beds & sofas. But what would I do about sheets, cutlery, plates, pans, knives, cups, glasses, iron and this list can go on.

What did everyone else do?
Old Nov 10th 2003, 3:37 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Ive decided not to take these things now because I would have to buy the things you mentioned while we were waiting for a shipment to arrive , Im just taking hubbys tools and a few things I cant part with and a few pieces of our better furniture .... we are going to buy the rest
Old Nov 10th 2003, 11:03 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably better off buying a cheap new set of everything from the Warehouse (where everybody gets a bargain!). Eg 16 piece plate set NZD19.99, kitchen starter set NZD90 etc - you could easily survive until the container arrives for about 100 quid.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

I would buy basic stuff you can put in the back of the cupboard when the decent stuff arrives cracked and bent due to the heat extremes coming through the Panama Canel ; -)

But if you want to go down the hire stuff route, try DTR in Riccarton or Linwood if you are in the Christchurch area. Not sure if they have offices anywhere else? They are on 348 8312 or from the UK
0064 3 348 8312 (I think)...
Old Nov 11th 2003, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

We bought a cheap sofa and washing machine from the free ads. Will sell when ours arrived. We also took the opportunity to upgrade our dining table, bed mattress (sleeping on floor at mo), kitchen utensils. The prices are good for good quality and dead cheap at the Warehouse/Briscoes.

Roger
Old Nov 11th 2003, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

Yes, get the Buy Sell & Exchange for your stuff. I buy it every week and feel like the guy out of "The Castle" (The ozzy film), flicking through finding out what I don't yet know I need...
Old Nov 11th 2003, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

My landlady (expat) gave me the number of a hire company that is really reasonable. They will hire out everything, from beds/linen, cutlery and mops/brooms...everything you'd need!

But for a few hundred dollars you can kit yourself out with the basics. We're surviving with garden chairs, bean bags and a couple of fab retro chairs we picked up in a junk shop for $20!!!

Wardrobes are mostly built in here, but I am desperate for a chest of drawers!

You can hire all your kitchen white goods aswell.