NZ Weather

Old Jan 19th 2004, 5:08 am
Oz Wannabe

jtimkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ Weather

Hi guys,
could anyone enlighten me on the typical highs and lows of NZ weather like in Auckland and Christchurch..
Like hotest coldest rainfall etc ?
cheers
john
Old Jan 20th 2004, 12:47 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ Weather

Originally posted by jtimkey
Hi guys,
could anyone enlighten me on the typical highs and lows of NZ weather like in Auckland and Christchurch..
Like hotest coldest rainfall etc ?
cheers
john
You can regularly expect low 30s (summer) in S Island or east side of N Island on a sunny day, a bit lower normally in AKL or the west side. Quite mixed - one day might be great and the next day goes back to spring weather. High for us this year is 33 degrees C so must be a bit higher ib Christchurch or inland such as QT. More normally, weather in summer is in the mid 20s though Dunedin is usually a few degrees lower (I guess because of the coastline and southerly location).

Lows - AKL not often below 5 degrees C in winter, more usually about 10. Colder in Christchurch.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

In Auckand you can expect to be in the 20-30C every day in summer, but not very often above 30C. Night time between 10-20C. I'd say this goes from Nov to Easters.

Rest of the year in Auckland 10-20C day and 0-10C night. But it very rarley gets down to freezing in Auckland itself.

Summer temps for me are pretty much ideal in Auckand and if I could figure a way of doing it I'd spend 6 months in NZ in summer and Easter to Nov in Queensland.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 8:01 am
Oz Wannabe

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
In Auckand you can expect to be in the 20-30C every day in summer, but not very often above 30C. Night time between 10-20C. I'd say this goes from Nov to Easters.

Rest of the year in Auckland 10-20C day and 0-10C night. But it very rarley gets down to freezing in Auckland itself.

Summer temps for me are pretty much ideal in Auckand and if I could figure a way of doing it I'd spend 6 months in NZ in summer and Easter to Nov in Queensland.
Is there a big difference between auckland and christchurch ?
Old Jan 21st 2004, 8:17 am
Just Joined

reevsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I went to N.Z. last august/sept of which is their wintertime. I went for job interviews etc so I spent a couple of weeks in Auk and same around ChCh.

From personal experience Auck was the warmest. The temperature went up to 23deg one day - warm enough to strip down to a T shirt. Most of the time it was between 15-20deg. A little 'chillie' in the mornings but once the sun had been up for a couple of hrs it was nice.

I then flew down to ChCh (cost me £32 by the way!!!), was defintately 'cooler'. It felt like a fresh spring day in England but with nice deep blue skies above.

Whilst in Chch I drove to Aurthers pass and decided to walk up one of the mountains - as you do!, and got to the top where again I had to strip down to a T shirt. Can't remember exact height but was around 2000meters. The mountain next to me had snow on the top as it was a little higher.

Can give you more details if you want.

Tony
Old Jan 21st 2004, 8:23 am
Oz Wannabe

Originally posted by reevsie
Hi there,

I went to N.Z. last august/sept of which is their wintertime. I went for job interviews etc so I spent a couple of weeks in Auk and same around ChCh.

From personal experience Auck was the warmest. The temperature went up to 23deg one day - warm enough to strip down to a T shirt. Most of the time it was between 15-20deg. A little 'chillie' in the mornings but once the sun had been up for a couple of hrs it was nice.

I then flew down to ChCh (cost me £32 by the way!!!), was defintately 'cooler'. It felt like a fresh spring day in England but with nice deep blue skies above.

Whilst in Chch I drove to Aurthers pass and decided to walk up one of the mountains - as you do!, and got to the top where again I had to strip down to a T shirt. Can't remember exact height but was around 2000meters. The mountain next to me had snow on the top as it was a little higher.

Can give you more details if you want.

Tony
Tony,
thanks for the post.
i take it you didnt find anywork ?
Old Jan 21st 2004, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Yes thats right. A costly experience although still looking......
Old Jan 21st 2004, 8:43 am
Oz Wannabe

Originally posted by reevsie
Yes thats right. A costly experience although still looking......

what is your profession ?

just to know how hard the jobs are in certain markets
Old Jan 21st 2004, 8:43 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

found this info on a couple of websites..... basically CHCH = greater temp extremes, drier climate. AUCK - milder temps, can be humid in summer, and rains more.

CHRISTCHURCH:

Climate
Temperature:
Mean Daily Maximum: Jan 21°C, July 10°C (NB often up to 30/35C in summer, with hot dry days - and foggy in winter)
Mean Temperature: 11.6°C
Mean Daily Minimum: Jan 12°C, July 1°C
Mean Annual Maximum: 32°C
Mean Annual Minimum: -4°C

Sunshine
Mean average bright sunshine: 2,040 hours per annum

Rainfall
Average rain days: 1mm or more; 87 per annum
Average annual rainfall: 655mm

Frost
Average days of screen frost (minimum air temperature less than 0°C) 36 days per annum

Wind
Average number of days with gusts reaching 63 km/h or more: 54 per annum

Relative Humidity
Average Relative Humidity: January: 3am 83%; 3pm 57%; July: 3am 88%; 3pm 70%

AUCKLAND

Auckland enjoys a warm coastal climate without extremes of temperature.

For up-to-date weather information visit home.nzcity.co.nz/weather/

Sunshine and Annual Rainfall Hours

Bright Sunshine Hours: 2021 per annum
Mean Annual Rainfall: 1301mm

Seasons

Summer: December - February
Autumn(Fall): March - May
Winter: June - August
Spring: September - November

Average Daily Maximum Temperature Celsius

January 23.1
February 23.6
March 22.3
April 19.9
May 17.3
June 15.1
July 14.3
August 14.8
September 16.2
October 17.8
November 19.6
December 21.5

In summer Auckland often gets 25C/30C above with high humidity. More rain as the rainfall figures show.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Oh, forgot to mention - if you click on the link below you can get desktop viewing of their weather. I'm not sure if I believe it but try it anyway.

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/weather/

Tony

ps
just spotted your Q about profession, I'm an electronics engineer with lots of experience and they were still a little 'coy' when interviewing me. I get the inpression that only NZ experience is worthy?.

Last edited by reevsie; Jan 21st 2004 at 8:48 am.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 8:40 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jtimkey
Is there a big difference between auckland and christchurch ?
Answer is 'YES!!!' - see Jon's post above.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 10:21 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

well i don't know about all you other folks living in NZ but i find a differance in the weather from here to the bottom of the road.....it seems to be different every 5kms or so.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 12:30 am
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by deedee
well i don't know about all you other folks living in NZ but i find a differance in the weather from here to the bottom of the road.....it seems to be different every 5kms or so.
Micro-climates everywhere. In Christchurch the hill suburbs are about 5c warmer in winter, the north of the city warmer, drier and windier than the south flat.

Cycling down a hill in winter and feeling the air temp change distinctly 3 times in 150 metres is something I'd not experienced before living here.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Talking to Kiwis in Hawkes Bay who have lived elsewhere:
Auckland - hotter, wetter, more humid
Wellington - cooler and windier
Christchurch - Winters much colder and frostier. Dry summers.
They all think that Hawkes Bay has the best weather and the Winters are a breeze. Saying that they obviously didn't live in my rental that is freezing with the poor insulation. Even had two heaters on this week with the storms.
Roger