Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ - Urgent! Advice pls on what to bring

NZ - Urgent! Advice pls on what to bring

Old Mar 25th 2003, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light
Default NZ - Urgent! Advice pls on what to bring

Hello,

Our container comes in just over 24 hours and I haven't done a very good job of investigating what of mine I can bring from USA that actually has a chance of working in NZ. Can anyone help??

Video machine? (Someone mentioned NZ uses VHS - great, but can I get my machine to work there?). If not, will I have to buy a new video camera??

Large amplifier, some electric keyboards, 2 4-track recorders, plus small appliances (blender, radio, etc..)- to use with transformer? I gather cordless phones are no-no's.

Stereo, turntable, speakers? (I have some very good monitor speakers I don't want to get rid of or stick up in the hot attic)

Computer/monitor - I have my own plus a real monster recently donated to me. Monitors should be ok, how about computers?

Anything else?? I couldn't possibly sell any of this stuff for more than pennies, but it all adds up to replace (ever notice no one else ever seems to sell things dirt cheap when YOU actually need to buy them!!)

5 more days

TA!
Old Mar 25th 2003, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Lots of threads on phones last week. Friends in Auckland are using there UK digital phones with no problem.

Your TV will be okay if it is played through a NZ video. Use your US video for kids vids etc.

Bring some fused four way plugs for your electrical goods. Attach a NZ plug on the cable. NZ plugs do not have fuses unlike UK (do US?). Wouldn't want your fancy electrics blowing up and save replugging all your electrics.

I believe everything is fine but TVs (which are more expensive and not as up-to-date.

It wasn't your American family advertising for rented accomodation in Christchurch last month? From memory it was way over the usual. Can't have the yanks spoiling the locals - they'll be wanting tips next.
Old Mar 25th 2003, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ - Urgent! Advice pls on what to bring

Well it's a bit late to do anything about it now isn't it!!

Either ditch it and regret it or take it and ditch it later.....

Mash
(in helpful mode as usual!)

Originally posted by The American
Hello,

Our container comes in just over 24 hours and I haven't done a very good job of investigating what of mine I can bring from USA that actually has a chance of working in NZ. Can anyone help??

Video machine? (Someone mentioned NZ uses VHS - great, but can I get my machine to work there?). If not, will I have to buy a new video camera??

Large amplifier, some electric keyboards, 2 4-track recorders, plus small appliances (blender, radio, etc..)- to use with transformer? I gather cordless phones are no-no's.

Stereo, turntable, speakers? (I have some very good monitor speakers I don't want to get rid of or stick up in the hot attic)

Computer/monitor - I have my own plus a real monster recently donated to me. Monitors should be ok, how about computers?

Anything else?? I couldn't possibly sell any of this stuff for more than pennies, but it all adds up to replace (ever notice no one else ever seems to sell things dirt cheap when YOU actually need to buy them!!)

5 more days

TA!
Old Mar 28th 2003, 7:33 pm
on the road again member

travelling_kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ - Urgent! Advice pls on what to bring

Originally posted by The American
Hello,

5 more days

TA!
anything electrical - dump it, NZ voltage is 240V.
your camera charger probably has built in charger & you may be ableto play non-pal (nsc?) footage thru NZ tv but probably can't record it onto NZ pal vcr tapes.
like your car, 2nd hand electronic stuff can be bought cheaply there.
take it if you have space in the container, you can always get transformers there.