Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ, UK to be added to islands cut from Australia’s migration zone

NZ, UK to be added to islands cut from Australia’s migration zone

Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future
Default NZ, UK to be added to islands cut from Australia’s migration zone

http://www.chaser.com.au/show_story....53&ED=60&CAT=1

Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:27 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ, UK to be added to islands cut from Australia’s migration zone

Is this a wind up?
Are they saying what I think they are saying?
Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Ha Ha.

Since when did England become an island?
Did it break off and float away during the night?

Scotty.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

I like the Israel/Palestine link on the right too.V.Funny.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:34 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Is this a wind up?
Are they saying what I think they are saying?
no they,er saying what most aussies are think,ing............ mm
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:03 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
no they,er saying what most aussies are think,ing............ mm
Very flipping funny (not)
I almost cried when I saw that! LOL
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:43 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

do you know JM that the USA is , as a faraway from being a British colony, as a bunch of disgruntled shop owners throwing a bit of tea in the harbor, imagine what we have put up with. ............... mm
Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:13 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Originally Posted by mr mover
do you know JM that the USA is , as a faraway from being a British colony, as a bunch of disgruntled shop owners throwing a bit of tea in the harbor, imagine what we have put up with. ............... mm
yes i understand but I don't think this was a good thread to start as it really shook me up - I thought Australia was suddenly going to stop all us lot applying to emigrate!
Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
yes i understand but I don't think this was a good thread to start as it really shook me up - I thought Australia was suddenly going to stop all us lot applying to emigrate!
While the article isn't a serious one, it unfortunately does perpetuate myths about what the excision of certain islands (eg Christmas Island) from the migration zone in 2001 actually means.

The only effect of excision was to stop people who are unlawfully in Australia from making valid onshore visa applications from that place. For all other purposes, the islands remained part of the Australian migration zone. For example, you do not need a passport to travel from the Australian mainland to Christmas Island. Tax laws on the islands were unaffected.

The excision had no impact at all on Australian sovereignty - many countries, including the UK and US, have sovereign territory that is not part of their 'migration zone' as well.

The only inhabited Australian territory that is genuinely "overseas" for most adminsitrative purposes is Norfolk Island. Norfolk Island has its own immigration laws, flag, country telephone code and tax system, and sends its own teams to events like the Commonwealth Games. Although Norfolk Islanders are Australian citizens and can live in Australia, an Australian passport in itself does not allow you to live on Norfolk. However the island remains sovereign Australian territory and ultimately the Australian federal government holds authority, despite delegation of most day to day matters to the Norfolk Islanders.

Flights between Norfolk Island and Australia use international terminals and you generally need a passport.

Jeremy