NZ taxes

Old Jul 16th 2002, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Ken Waller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ taxes

I'm emigrating to NZ in August, and I wonder if anyone can help me with the following questions regarding taxes etc:

What is the taxation rate %, on an equivalent NZ of GBP30,000 (at rough NZ pay rates)? Is there a tax allowance for married couples (as in UK until recently), or any other tax allowances?

Is there a National Insurance (or equivalent)?

What is a typical Council Tax/Rates bill p.a. in the suburbs of Auckland?

Are there any other taxes or payments that a normal household would be subject to that differ from the UK?

Any help on any of the above would be greatly appreciated, so I can get an idea of what kind of disposable income I might have after deduction.

Cheers,

Ken.
Old Jul 16th 2002, 6:40 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: NZ taxes

Good summary of tax issues at http://www.migrate.co.nz/Info/info9.htm (Kündig Associates copyright).

Actually this is a great site for basic info helpful to NZ migrants.

All the best
Old Jul 17th 2002, 7:21 am
Ian Guy

Tax is on www.ird.govt.nz - I earned £30K in UK and now am on NZ$53 and have a better
standard of living; After deductions I bring home NZ$1550 per fortnight (that's how I
am paid) I paid $11000 tax on $47K in the first 10 months of last year.

There are ACC contributions, which are similar to NI (fund accidental injury
pay outs).

Don't know about AKL rates (seriously do you want to live in Dorkland!) - we live in
the Bay of Plenty, annual rates are $700 and water rates about $200. Would imagine
Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch would be double that figure. "newstartnz"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Good summary of tax issues at http://www.migrate.co.nz/Info/info9.htm (Kündig
    > Associates copyright).
    >
    > Actually this is a great site for basic info helpful to NZ migrants.
    >
    > All the best
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 17th 2002, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Ken Waller is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for both of your responses, these are most helpful. It is a little worrying looking at the salary levels when translated to GBP, but the tax levels and the cheaper cost of living seem to make up for that.

It also gives me an idea of the kind of salary level I can expect and should be looking for.

Cheers again.

Ken.