Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ Skilled Migrant category release date

NZ Skilled Migrant category release date

Old Nov 5th 2003, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice
Default NZ Skilled Migrant category release date

Hi all

Current information indicates official announcement of policy format on 8 December 2003 with policy launch date effective 15 December 2003.

Now we have to wait and see what the process will entail and if NZIS have managed to sort out some of the shortcomings in implementation that NZAMI and others had identified.

Regards
Old Nov 5th 2003, 3:54 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZ Skilled Migrant category release date

Originally posted by Jamie Smith
Hi all

Current information indicates official announcement of policy format on 8 December 2003 with policy launch date effective 15 December 2003.

Now we have to wait and see what the process will entail and if NZIS have managed to sort out some of the shortcomings in implementation that NZAMI and others had identified.

Regards
For those about to lodge a PR application with a job offer (no NZer matched the skills), and thus a total of 31 points (as a job offer relevant to work experience qualifies for 8 points with the passmark of over 28 according to the NZIS site - will this speed up the process, or slow it down?

regards, Rich.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice

Um, dunno, I don't deal with that category.

Sorry.

But I thought you'd all like to know

Cheers
Old Nov 5th 2003, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

jseni01d is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jamie! Finally some real news about NZ. The most exciting thing on the NZIS website in the past few months has been the announcement of their new logo - hardly earth-shattering news for prospective migrants!

I for one am on the edge of my seat waiting for the new criteria. However, I have a feeling that even when they're released, a lot of people including me will be none the wiser as to whether they qualify. It sounds like NZIS will have a huge amount of discretion in actually deciding who passes and who fails, unlike the old days when you basically knew when you posted the form whether you had enough points.

Cheers,
John
Old Nov 5th 2003, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Yup

Now the only bit left is trying to figure out how they expect people to get job offers from a distance.

Many recruitment consultants indicate it takes one month per $10,000 salary band ie if you want $50k annual income, it might take 5 months to find the right job.

Of course many can do it quicker, but if you're looking for the RIGHT job it will take time. The fortunate ones are those whose occupations are in incredible high demand and who are prepared to take almost the first job that comes along - same goes for the employer, so desperate to get workers they grab the next one in the door and never mind if they're of wrong personality or temperament....

So, hands up those who can afford to either a) take extended leave or b) quit their job, and then spend maybe 5 months in NZ looking for work.

After that, NZIS might let you in....or might not.

I think the policy is going in the right direction, but I'll hold off giving firm opinion on the actual mechanism for a while.

Cheers from NZ

Originally posted by jseni01d
Thanks Jamie! Finally some real news about NZ. The most exciting thing on the NZIS website in the past few months has been the announcement of their new logo - hardly earth-shattering news for prospective migrants!

I for one am on the edge of my seat waiting for the new criteria. However, I have a feeling that even when they're released, a lot of people including me will be none the wiser as to whether they qualify. It sounds like NZIS will have a huge amount of discretion in actually deciding who passes and who fails, unlike the old days when you basically knew when you posted the form whether you had enough points.

Cheers,
John