Reload this Page >

NZ salary v. cost of living

NZ salary v. cost of living

Old Sep 21st 2003, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jandjuk
what a boring world that would be!!
I don't see why it would be boring. Do you often speak to people in several different languages? Most people probably never talk in more than one language. So it must be a boring world already. I think it's far more important for people to be able to communicate - across the world - than to occasionally come across colourful languages.
Are you telling me that if your native language (English I presume) was dying out you wouldn't want to take steps to retain it?
That's exactly right. I don't hold any particular affection for a bunch of words and grammatical rules. If English was in decline, I'd much rather learn a language that was likely to be more widely used.

NZ immigration rules demand a fluency in one particular language. That seems like a good policy. I don't see why the government would think it a good idea to encourage the use of an alternative language.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

It seems a similar way of thinking to not being sentimental about your birth land and nationality. I think different culture (and language) is the wonderful thing about our world, how sad to think of us all the same.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by DaisyNZ
It seems a similar way of thinking to not being sentimental about your birth land and nationality. I think different culture (and language) is the wonderful thing about our world, how sad to think of us all the same.
Surely not the wonderful thing, only a wonderful thing. But I wasn't talking about culture, only language (some might regard it as an aspect of a culture, but not the defining aspect). It is the way we communicate, period. It would be far easier to communicate (a vital activity, I'm sure you'd agree) if everyone spoke the same language.

Do you think that the language requirement for NZ immigration should be any language, rather than just English? After all, it would make NZ "wonderful", wouldn't it?
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 8:32 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sofistek
Surely not the wonderful thing, only a wonderful thing. But I wasn't talking about culture, only language (some might regard it as an aspect of a culture, but not the defining aspect). It is the way we communicate, period. It would be far easier to communicate (a vital activity, I'm sure you'd agree) if everyone spoke the same language.

Do you think that the language requirement for NZ immigration should be any language, rather than just English? After all, it would make NZ "wonderful", wouldn't it?
well it's A way we communicate not THE way. I've had plenty of conversations with people where we only share a few words in common, and they're just as rewarding as if we shared a whole language. It gives you an opportunity to communicate in other ways - and notice things you may not otherwise.

Of course the NZ requirement shouldn't be ANY language (nobody said it should be), but I really don't see what's wrong with having road signs in Maori, Welsh, Corsican or whatever - it's part of the culture of that country, so why ignore it?

Don't you think that looking to the future includes recognising and celebrating the differences of the world, not trying to ignore and suppress them, which as the world as already witnessed many times over, is a sure recipe for disaster?

Perhaps you mean the ideal is for the whole world's population to fluently *and willingly* speak the same language. If Welsh or Maori wish to speak their own language, and the will of the people is strong enough, why shouldn't the government support it? That's what governments are for isn't it? (Though I'm probably living in a dreamland based on my past experience of governments).
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jandjuk
well it's A way we communicate not THE way. I've had plenty of conversations with people where we only share a few words in common, and they're just as rewarding as if we shared a whole language. It gives you an opportunity to communicate in other ways - and notice things you may not otherwise.

Of course the NZ requirement shouldn't be ANY language (nobody said it should be), but I really don't see what's wrong with having road signs in Maori, Welsh, Corsican or whatever - it's part of the culture of that country, so why ignore it?

Don't you think that looking to the future includes recognising and celebrating the differences of the world, not trying to ignore and suppress them, which as the world as already witnessed many times over, is a sure recipe for disaster?

Perhaps you mean the ideal is for the whole world's population to fluently *and willingly* speak the same language. If Welsh or Maori wish to speak their own language, and the will of the people is strong enough, why shouldn't the government support it? That's what governments are for isn't it? (Though I'm probably living in a dreamland based on my past experience of governments).
J,

I'm just talking about language. I have nothing against anyone wanting to learn or even communicate in other languages; I would simply like to see progress towards a common language when everyone would be able to make themsleves understood by everyone else. What is there to object to in that?

Encouraging speakers of other languages to stick with that other language seems a retrograde step to me. Such encouragement is given, in part, by having signs in more than one language. If a non-English speaker can get by in life without learning English (in the case of NZ), then there is less incentive for them to do so. It's also likely to lead to more segregation.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

hectashouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: NZ salary v. cost of living

Hi kath

I really appreciate your reasons for wanting to migrate to nz. my partner is a teacher and we want to start a family - forget that in the uk, as i want to stay at home at least until they are at school and there's no way we could afford to do that here. we're applying to migrate and hopefully it'll all be ready by early next summer. i've done quite a bit of research on nz - jobs, property prices, costs of living etc and from what i've seen we could afford a vastly better standard of living AND in an environment where kids don't slump in front of the playstation waiting for their first heart attack. does anyone else feel this way?

Originally posted by kathm
Hi

Hubby and I have been in touch with a NZ IT recruitment agency enquiring about what sort of wage he could expect etc. We were given the figure of about $70K.

I wanted to know whether people already out there feel that this wage is sufficient for a good lifestyle for 2 adults and 2 VERY young kids (aged 19 months and 7 months at the moment). Here in the UK I am a housewife because the kind of wage I could earn would mostly get eaten up with childcare costs for the 2 kids. Also, I am one of these people who really wants to stay at home and bring up my kids (not everyone's cup of tea, but it is how hubby and I want to play it at least until kids are at school) So obviously we need to live on whatever hubby makes.

Am I living in dreamland?

I have already looked up previous posts on salaries/cost of living etc and not found anything that is completely up to date.

We want to emigrate for a better lifestyle for ourselves and the kids, so don't really want to come out and be struggling badly because of low wages.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks
Kath
Old Jan 30th 2004, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

gazzauk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ salary v. cost of living

Originally posted by kathm
Hi

Hubby and I have been in touch with a NZ IT recruitment agency enquiring about what sort of wage he could expect etc. We were given the figure of about $70K.

I wanted to know whether people already out there feel that this wage is sufficient for a good lifestyle for 2 adults and 2 VERY young kids (aged 19 months and 7 months at the moment). Here in the UK I am a housewife because the kind of wage I could earn would mostly get eaten up with childcare costs for the 2 kids. Also, I am one of these people who really wants to stay at home and bring up my kids (not everyone's cup of tea, but it is how hubby and I want to play it at least until kids are at school) So obviously we need to live on whatever hubby makes.

Am I living in dreamland?

I have already looked up previous posts on salaries/cost of living etc and not found anything that is completely up to date.

We want to emigrate for a better lifestyle for ourselves and the kids, so don't really want to come out and be struggling badly because of low wages.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks
Kath
Kath,

I would be interested to know which IT Agency you have been in touch with. Me and my family are in a similar position, ie looking for a move to NZ. Trouble is, every job that I see advertised suggests not to bother applying unless we already live in NZ. Slightly frustrating, a bit 'chicken and egg' so to speak! Hence I'd quite like to talk to an agency to find out how other people do it.

Thanks
Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by gazzauk
Kath,

I would be interested to know which IT Agency you have been in touch with. Me and my family are in a similar position, ie looking for a move to NZ. Trouble is, every job that I see advertised suggests not to bother applying unless we already live in NZ. Slightly frustrating, a bit 'chicken and egg' so to speak! Hence I'd quite like to talk to an agency to find out how other people do it.

Thanks
Gazza,

It's true that most companies won't consider you, if you're not at least in NZ, even if you don't have a work visa yet. However, many agencies would at least consider your CV and offer some advice. Unless you have some rare skill, agencies probably wouldn't put you forward for any jobs, unless you had a visit planned in the near future. I'd recommend De Winter and possibly Hudson and Absolute IT.

However, individual companies may well consider initial interviews by phone. So it's worth contacting companies directly, if you can find them. They sometimes advertise jobs directly, rather than through agents, so keep an eye on NZ newspapers and sites like www.nzjobs.co.nz, that sometimes have adverts directly from companies. But if you come across a company that uses your skill, or that might use your skill, contact them even if they haven't advertised.

I went out for 3 weeks last year having laboriously looked up many companies and sending off speculative e-mails. About a dozen showed enough interest for me to make the trip. Unfortunately, most of them couldn't take on staff at the time, but I made contacts and came very close to landing a job on at least 3 occasions (agonisingly close, in two cases). I was plannning to try again from March, but got a lucky break, discovering a company that need a fairly rare skill that isn't much used, but which I had. So I'll be going out at the end of February to start work.

I know it's hard, but you probably need to get out there for an extended stay, to have a good chance. Work visas can be obtained very quickly, if you have all your paperwork with you.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:31 pm
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Compared to UK most people I have met in NZ, the wife has to work, to make ends meet. We have four children and brought them up fine in UK on one wage, here we are very lucky to have no mortgage, however we still had more disposable income in the UK in relative terms as wages here are so low. My advice to anyone coming with children or thinking about having them, it is just as expensive here as anywhere. House prices here have gone crazy and most people are mortgaged to the hilt.
NZ is great if you can bring lots of Sterling and get a good job, otherwise I would think very hard about it. Anyone that comes out without seeing it first, I would say that you must have the money to return, as it is not for everyone.
Having said all that we are having a brilliant time here at the moment and wouldn't change it.

Cheers Kev.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

I have been an 'at home mum' in NZ for five years now, about to have third child, and not one of my friends with little kiddies works. I don't know about the big centres, but definitely in the provincial towns staying home with kiddies is the 'norm' rather than the exception. But be aware that we don't have money to do all the things you guys in the UK do with your kids (like Euro Disney, European ski trips etc etc). Our kids are happy exploring the beach and walking in the bush.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:52 pm
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Hi,
this may be true, we live in Wellington and it is very expensive, so for many locals this is not an option.

Kev.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

gazzauk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sofistek
Gazza,

It's true that most companies won't consider you, if you're not at least in NZ, even if you don't have a work visa yet. However, many agencies would at least consider your CV and offer some advice. Unless you have some rare skill, agencies probably wouldn't put you forward for any jobs, unless you had a visit planned in the near future. I'd recommend De Winter and possibly Hudson and Absolute IT.

However, individual companies may well consider initial interviews by phone. So it's worth contacting companies directly, if you can find them. They sometimes advertise jobs directly, rather than through agents, so keep an eye on NZ newspapers and sites like www.nzjobs.co.nz, that sometimes have adverts directly from companies. But if you come across a company that uses your skill, or that might use your skill, contact them even if they haven't advertised.

I went out for 3 weeks last year having laboriously looked up many companies and sending off speculative e-mails. About a dozen showed enough interest for me to make the trip. Unfortunately, most of them couldn't take on staff at the time, but I made contacts and came very close to landing a job on at least 3 occasions (agonisingly close, in two cases). I was plannning to try again from March, but got a lucky break, discovering a company that need a fairly rare skill that isn't much used, but which I had. So I'll be going out at the end of February to start work.

I know it's hard, but you probably need to get out there for an extended stay, to have a good chance. Work visas can be obtained very quickly, if you have all your paperwork with you.
Cheers, Tony.

Regards
Old Jan 31st 2004, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

this may be true, we live in Wellington and it is very expensive, so for many locals this is not an option.
Kev. I don't doubt that is the case. We lived at Lake Waikaremoana for 8 years and hubby got a good job in Wellington DOC (a transfer, similar position, very different job description as you can imagine). We were thrilled that he won the job over all the other applicants, but in the end we turned it down after doing research in to cost of living. There was no way we could live the same way we do now in Napier down there in Wgn. We chose this life so I could be at home for a few more years. Where you live here makes a huge difference to cost of living, I'm not sure people in the UK understand that.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

DOC = Department of Conservaton!!!
Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:43 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Daisy,

Where you live here makes a huge difference to cost of living, I'm not sure people in the UK understand that.
I take from that you mean Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch ect.

Is there much difference between say Napier and Tauranga?

Looks like we are back to the "can we afford to live" thing again (thought I had that one nailed )

Jack

PS Where in Notts you from?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.