British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   NZ salaries. Is what I have been offered OK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/nz-salaries-what-i-have-been-offered-ok-155484/)

valleygirl May 28th 2003 10:27 am

NZ salaries. Is what I have been offered OK?

Hi there
I have recieved details today about the salary I will be getting on arrival and it seems a bit scary!! It is $38,400. It is soooo much lower than I am getting now and Iam wondering if you can survive on that until the hubbie gets a job.

Hope there is someone out there who can give me more info on living costs in NZ and if we will be OK on this salary.

Thanks

Amanda:scared:

GetMeOutOfHere May 28th 2003 11:16 am

Re: NZ salaries. Is what I have been offered OK?

Originally posted by valleygirl
Hi there
I have recieved details today about the salary I will be getting on arrival and it seems a bit scary!! It is $38,400. It is soooo much lower than I am getting now and Iam wondering if you can survive on that until the hubbie gets a job.

Hope there is someone out there who can give me more info on living costs in NZ and if we will be OK on this salary.

Thanks

What job is it?:)

SimonC May 28th 2003 12:30 pm

Depends what it is for, average is about 30-35k I think. My partner has just accepted a job running the library in Helensville and I think the salrary is around 38K to give you some idea.

Also depends on where you are living going to live, rent etc and all that.

Hope that helps

Simon

Scarlett G May 28th 2003 2:04 pm

Re: NZ salaries. Is what I have been offered OK?

Originally posted by valleygirl
Hi there

Thanks

Depends what you are doing, but $40K is about average for starting out (remember you are classed as 'new') but your cost of living it cheaper. Easy to say but try not to compare to your wages here in the uk.
Good luck

kerstinschuetz May 28th 2003 2:48 pm

have a look at this website. It helps you to calculate comparable costs of living. Maybe this helps....
http://www.austimmigration.com.au/costs.htm

tom's mum May 28th 2003 7:04 pm

i have also been offered $38,000 for my job as a midwife. Again much lower than in the uk. A friend tells me that they earn $30,000 in NZ and without a mortgage or rent have a good lifestyle. The manager at the hospital also told me that $38,000 was plenty to live on. its hard not to compare wages with what we earn over here but the cost of living is lower, unless of course your in one of the bigger cities i.e. Auckland.

Helen

valleygirl May 28th 2003 7:19 pm

I am moving to Wellington and the rentals in the area seem to be very expensive compaired to the kind of salary I will be getting.
I suppose when my husband finds a job we will be laughing!!!
He has had a serious offer of an engineering job in Wellington and it sounds as if he may well get it but there is always that feeling of what if??
He also has a HGV licence to fall back on if nothing else comes his way and I believe that they are crying out for drivers out there.
We should be OK. I think that I am building too many walls at the moment.

Amanda

pstarling May 28th 2003 7:46 pm

According to a collegue who has just been offered a job in Christchurch (luck basket) Salaries are about 2/3rds of the UK.

Apparently one of the reasons they start out so low is that in NZ there is no such thing in employment law as a "six month probation period" hence they start you low and up the salary if they want to keep you !:beer:

smithone May 28th 2003 8:38 pm

Hi there

After tax you'll be taking home about $2500.

To give you an idea of how far this stretches here's what I pay each month for me and my wife. I've excluded rent/mortgage costs as this varies enormously and I've excluded entertainment as again this depends on what kind of lifestyle

Mortgage ?
Food $500.00
House Insure $95.00
Car Insure $49.30
Life insurance $46.60
Telecom bill $80.00
Rates @ $1604 pa $133.67
Sky $56.00
Petrol $100.00
Gas and Electricity $100.00
Total Expend $1,160.57

ratliffe May 28th 2003 8:57 pm

where are you living??????

Roger May 28th 2003 9:49 pm

Are you making provision for a pension? I must pay in about $500 a month in the UK on a final salary scheme. Any ideas on how much in NZ will be required for a comfy retirement - though I reckon I'm halfway to my NZ salary already on current expected pension if I left now.

Roger

P.S. Out with a friend tonight who is over from Tasmania. He is on little more that this in Oz as a Barrister for Crown Prosecution. Not much better in Oz it appears.

Interested May 28th 2003 10:22 pm

Its all relative, what you earn in NZ will be enough to afford things in NZ $. In the UK you earn enough to afford things in pounds.

As the others have said there is no point in converting NZ $ into pounds, you will not be earning pounds when you are out there.