NZ Salaries

Old Sep 17th 2002, 9:16 am
JPW
Forum Regular

JPW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ Salaries

Hello again all,

Its always hard to measure from a distance what level of income will give you a comfortable lifestyle. I've done some research on cost of living - but I wonder if there is anyone out there that can give me real life example of what income you need to live comfortably in Auckland?

I'm in the running for a few positions at around NZ$120,000 -130,000 ish per year. I feel pretty confident that this would see me through to live well - but can anyone reassure me? (well reassure my GF more to be honest!)

Thanks!
Old Sep 17th 2002, 10:06 am
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough
Default Re: NZ Salaries

Originally posted by JPW:
Hello again all,

Its always hard to measure from a distance what level of income will give you a comfortable lifestyle. I've done some research on cost of living - but I wonder if there is anyone out there that can give me real life example of what income you need to live comfortably in Auckland?

I'm in the running for a few positions at around NZ$120,000 -130,000 ish per year. I feel pretty confident that this would see me through to live well - but can anyone reassure me? (well reassure my GF more to be honest!)

Thanks!
You would do alright on half that in Auckland.

Seriously though the only thing to watch is the price of housing now. The cost of living is dirt cheap, including renting.
Old Sep 17th 2002, 6:56 pm
JPW
Forum Regular

Thanks,

Hope you are right! I'm dreaming of a garden & a jet ski! (not neccessarily in that order).
Old Sep 18th 2002, 12:25 pm
Ian Guy

Hell, what do you do, are you a neurosurgeon? Average NZ income is $40K ish!

"JPW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:417883.1032288987@britishexpats-
.com
    > Thanks,
    > Hope you are right! I'm dreaming of a garden & a jet ski! (not
    > neccessarily in that order).
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 18th 2002, 3:03 pm
JPW
Forum Regular

Really? result!! woo hoo .. don't sneer but I work in PR...
fingers crossed i get one of these jobs then!
cheers
Old Sep 19th 2002, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I think somebody is pulling your leg. You are talking about the same income as the Prime Minister. Is it PR or PM??
Old Sep 19th 2002, 4:50 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

You might be surprised Dotty - but somehow senior HR people have wangled it so that they are paid top whack same as and sometimes more than senior marketing, sales, finance and IT. Loadsa money for reading a few CVs, eh?
Old Sep 19th 2002, 5:23 am
Just Joined

blahblah is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by JPW:

"I'm in the running for a few positions at around NZ$120,000 -130,000 ish per year. "

I do assume this salaray you have mentioned is pre tax ...after taxes what salary are you expecting as take home...I am not sure about the tax structure but enlighten me.

Also if 40K is also a decnt salalry then after tax what would you be bringing home....around 30 K? Is that decent enough?
Old Sep 19th 2002, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by pleasancefamily:
You might be surprised Dotty - but somehow senior HR people have wangled it so that they are paid top whack same as and sometimes more than senior marketing, sales, finance and IT. Loadsa money for reading a few CVs, eh?
<

Sure in London etc, but not in NZ!
Old Sep 19th 2002, 7:04 am
Just Joined

Ken Waller is an unknown quantity at this point

If you get the job, JPW, give me a shout! NZ120,000 is a really good salary in NZ, although it isn't so much when you convert to Sterling.

From my experience, (we are in Auckland) my wife and I can expect about 2/3 of our UK salaries here. The other thing is 3 week hols are the norm, as are 30 min lunch breaks and a 0830 - 1700 day.

Having said all that, the tax rate is lower (19% up to NX38,000, 33% above) and other costs, ie. rent, fuel, eating out are a lot cheaper. Auckland is a lot more expensive that the rest of NZ (except maybe Wellington), and you pay more for things, in the same way as you would in London.

I don't think people should expect to make their fortune here, it's a lifestyle thing for us. Walking along the beach to the ferry, followed by a 12-13 min ferry ride to work, whilst watching the America's Cup boats go out to sea, sure beats my old journey to work in the traffic in the Midlands! Then you have the spectacular scenery within a stone's throw of the city, the fishing, the friendly people, the cafe society etc etc....

Good luck with the job!

Ken

(In Auckland for three weeks)
Old Sep 19th 2002, 11:12 am
JPW
Forum Regular

Sorry Dotty - but this is a genuine position and in keeping with the approximate salarie for this industry - it is a well paying industry if nothing else.

This is indeed pre tax - after tax I estimate this to be around $88,000 or $7330 a month.

I'm not looking to make a fortune just to ensure that I have a comfortable lifestyle - and clean(er) air.

Thanks for all the good luck wishes!!
Old Sep 19th 2002, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by JPW:
Sorry Dotty - but this is a genuine position and in keeping with the approximate salarie for this industry - it is a well paying industry if nothing else.

This is indeed pre tax - after tax I estimate this to be around $88,000 or $7330 a month.

I'm not looking to make a fortune just to ensure that I have a comfortable lifestyle - and clean(er) air.

Thanks for all the good luck wishes!!
The Inland Revenue site said something like 19.5cents int he dollar for the first $38K. can't remember what the rest was.
www.ird.gov.nz

look under personal tax
Pat.
Old Sep 19th 2002, 6:04 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Having said all that, the tax rate is lower (19% up to NX38,000, 33% above) and other costs, ie. rent, fuel, eating out are a lot cheaper. Auckland is a lot more expensive that the rest of NZ (except maybe Wellington), and you pay more for things, in the same way as you would in London.
Ken
From Kundig

Income Tax

The income tax rate for the 2000/01 year is as follows:

$0.00 to $38,000 in income: 19.5% tax.
$38000 to $60,000 in income: 33% tax.
$60,000 and up in income: 39% tax.
Income tax is paid in the following ways:

Pay as you earn ("PAYE"). This method applies to salaried and income workers. Tax is deducted automatically by the employer who then passes on the tax to the Inland Revenue Department ("IRD").

Provisional tax. For self employed persons income tax can be paid by the person direct to the Taxation Department three times a year, 7 July, 7 November and 7 March the following year.

The income year is from 1 April to 31 March.

Income tax affects all sources of income and in addition to employment earnings extends to other forms of income such as interest income, share and dividend income and investment income generally.
Old Sep 20th 2002, 11:59 am
Ian Guy

Our PR person gets IRO $60K.

"blahblah" wrote in message
news:419452.1032413006@britishexpats-
.com
    > Originally posted by JPW:
    > >
    > > "I'm in the running for a few positions at around NZ$120,000 -130,000
    > > ish per year. "
    > >
    > > I do assume this salaray you have mentioned is pre tax ...after taxes
    > > what salary are you expecting as take home...I am not sure about the
    > > tax structure but enlighten me.
    > >
    > > Also if 40K is also a decnt salalry then after tax what would you be
    > > bringing home....around 30 K? Is that decent enough?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com