Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ Recognised Trade Qualifications

NZ Recognised Trade Qualifications

Old Aug 7th 2003, 12:49 pm
New Zealand Bound

rickandkara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ Recognised Trade Qualifications

Our application was returned because the City&Guilds' qualification we had was for 'Fabrication and Welding Competences' and not 'Fabrication and Welding engineering craft studies' as on the list of recognised qualifications.

We then need to have the qualification assessed by NZQA. Since getting this news I have found out that the 'crafts' qualifications are obsolete and the NZ list is out of date. How many people will have the same issue and go through the NZQA, they must obviously know about this, so they are either cashing in on us or can't be bothered to update their list.

I have asked City&Guilds to forward me a list of their recognised qualifications and I am going to write to NZQA and the immigration service and suggest they review their lists of qualifications.

I'm totally frustrated and angry about this.

Kara

p.s. I intend to write my letter after my visa as been approved, don't want to rock the boat.

Old Aug 7th 2003, 4:42 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ Recognised Trade Qualifications

Originally posted by rickandkara
Our application was returned because the City&Guilds' qualification we had was for 'Fabrication and Welding Competences' and not 'Fabrication and Welding engineering craft studies' as on the list of recognised qualifications.

We then need to have the qualification assessed by NZQA. Since getting this news I have found out that the 'crafts' qualifications are obsolete and the NZ list is out of date. How many people will have the same issue and go through the NZQA, they must obviously know about this, so they are either cashing in on us or can't be bothered to update their list.

I have asked City&Guilds to forward me a list of their recognised qualifications and I am going to write to NZQA and the immigration service and suggest they review their lists of qualifications.

I'm totally frustrated and angry about this.

Kara

p.s. I intend to write my letter after my visa as been approved, don't want to rock the boat.

Sympathies. They do seem to leave a lot of stuff off the 'automatic' list for no apparent good reason other than...getting the NZQA fees in! My wife, who has 1) a first degree (3 years), 2) Masters in Economics (3 years), 3) Diploma in Management Studies and finally 4) a Masters in Business Administration - all from good institutions not clown academies, (puts me to shame!), did not get automatic recognition either, the rats, just because she is not UK-born or close. So loads of money down the drain and loads of worry just to get an assessment.